Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

That begs interpretation. Again, the dress code is clear. No sandals.

How are some interpretations permitted when others are not?

Why are some opinions on this interpretation considered valid while others are put down and insulted?

The dress code says no sandals. But there is interpretation that this only means men's sandals. Or not dressy-enough sandals. Who defines what is dressy enough?

The dress code says only casual jeans are not permitted. That means non-casual jeans are permitted. Non-casual jeans would mean something very different to you and me. And they are opinions....as fashion is subjective.

Dress code also says that hats are permitted in the Terrace. Some say this is unacceptable. Why? It is in line with the dress code.

I don't care what anyone wears on a cruise. I was on a cruise in March and I couldn't tell you what a single person wore to dinner. I remember my husband's eyes and his smile. I remember how blissfully happy we were...

Maybe I am alone there. But my happiness can't be defined by what others do or don't do. That approach would set me up for disappointment as I can only control me.

I was called out on here for giving an opinion. And not just a small insult, I was told that I lack class. That is some conclusion for giving an opinion on the future of the dress code. If we are calling out people for even thinking of not following the dress code, then the people doing the calling should abide by those standards that they impose on others...and that means no sandals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Delee78;

Our opinions matter for nothing in these matters. In the case of my coworker, our Group VP decided that spandex was not proper business attire. On Oceania the restaurant Maitre de decides what is country club casual and what may enter. They decide which pair of blue jeans enter and which get sent back to change. Same with sandals. Personally, I’m extremely content with that, however a lot is left up to opinion and there is little uniformity of opinion amongst various Maitre de. NWIW, the Maitre de rules, not a single poster here.

Greetings,

I will be on Sirena next month for an 8 day Cuba cruise.

I dont plan on taking a suit or sport coat.

Just a Guayabera shirt, Hawaiian shirt, linen and docker pants, and huarache shoes. Will these be acceptable wear for evening dining in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

Thank you.

AA4D09E6-1CE5-451B-B447-137386DA50AA_zpsrp9igguw.jpeg

I think we’re being trolled. 1. He told everyone what he’s not bringing. 2. He’s told everyone what he is wearing.

Do you think he really cares about anyone’s opinion? He’s just trolling to get everyone’s juices flowing with another dress code thread!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. The Oceania forum. LOL :)

If you don’t realize by now, you will some of the most snarky, smug, and nasty peeps on this forum.

As the Original Poster, and a first time cruiser on Oceania, I was called out for asking a very simple question about the Dress Code policy on Oceania. and just wanted some guidance about appropriate clothing and footwear.

Thankfully, there were some helpful forum members comments who helped me decide to wear leather loafers instead of huaraches for evening dining at GDR and the specialty restaurants.

And, so far, I’m enjoying Day 3 of my cruise on Sirena. :)

King

Oh, come on King...

Slip on those huaraches, look yourself in the mirror and have a little chuckle :-).

I know I did when I put on my Lululemon pants for my run this morning. Technically they are running bottoms but most would describe as yoga pants.

Enjoy Cuba!!!

Charles;

Do fashions change or merely repeat themselves?

This “new” yoga pants thing is like a horrible flashback of the Spandex 90s nightmares! Nothing like a 250+ pounder showing up for work in spandex and a flimsy tee shirt! Our Group VP banned all spandex from the office after that! It took forever for that fad to die and it appears the yoga pants are their replacements! Yoga pants are like sweat pants, they aren’t dressy anything, just a bad rerun!

OMG yes :eek:

I would not be seen out of the house in those

Delee,

Props to you for wearing your Lululemons. (y)(y)

There are some people on here that show absolutely no class, and are hypocrites. They are rude , offensive, narrow minded, snarky and smug.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

MarkieMarkNYC- great screen name. Shouldn't you be from Boston though?

It just blows my mind. I was literally told that I lacked class because I suggested that Oceania might continue to monitor fashion trends and changes with future cruising generations. Lack class. For suggesting that dress codes might adapt in the future.

And then that same group goes on the talk about a '250 pounder' in spandex. Their language, not mine. And I lack class....

Those kind of people lack class and are hypocrites. Snarky, smug, rude, and offensive.

try this

which sandal would you think is acceptable to wear for dinner in the GDR?

shoe A

qrnpku1475228839129.jpg

Shoe B

imbfwx1524550724512.jpg

Though A obviously looks better, I guess both would not be acceptable. Personally, I'd not have a problem with A. I'd hate however, to see someone really stub a toe in either type.

Those kind of people lack class and are hypocrites. Snarky, smug, rude, and offensive.

Let's put it into perspective: About 30 years ago, I was in a nice Ice cream shop in the next town over. This guy walks in..No shirt, weighing well north of 350LB. in a spandex thong bathing suit. It took real effort to see there actually WAS a bathing suit on the guy. I'm sorry, but WHO was rude here? The person or the shop owner who said get the hell out & dress properly the next time you enter. There was NO beach anywhere near this location. By the way the No shirt/No service sign was QUITE visible. Was the guy doing this as a stunt? Possibly. Age wise the guy was over 50 easily. Sorry, but there some people who OBVIOUSLY should NOT be wearing spandex.

Edited by keithm
additions

I agree 100%.

However, the dress code does not say that. So, it would be an interpretation.

How are some interpretations allowed and others not?

Why are all jeans considered wrong by many on this board? Even when the dress code clearly says that casual jeans are not permitted...

Perhaps the reason a lot of us get annoyed with the jeans issue, is the fact that so many casual jeans are being passed off as "Haute fashion". Jeans are jeans, whether they're $25 no names up through $200 & above Armani. I mean why is it so hard to just wear a decent pair of khaki type pants & a collared shirt. I understand the (so called tech gurus)& their complete lack of style. Why does that have to make this country start looking like a bunch poorly dressed hicks? I at least like a cruise with less Americans on board, as the dress style will show more thought than just throwing on a pair of jeans & a T shirt & going to the local Wild Wings rest.

Though A obviously looks better, I guess both would not be acceptable. Personally, I'd not have a problem with A. I'd hate however, to see someone really stub a toe in either type.

actually A is acceptable

beach type sandals are not

YMMV

Let's put it into perspective: About 30 years ago, I was in a nice Ice cream shop in the next town over. This guy walks in..No shirt, weighing well north of 350LB. in a spandex thong bathing suit. It took real effort to see there actually WAS a bathing suit on the guy. I'm sorry, but WHO was rude here? The person or the shop owner who said get the hell out & dress properly the next time you enter. There was NO beach anywhere near this location. By the way the No shirt/No service sign was QUITE visible. Was the guy doing this as a stunt? Possibly. Age wise the guy was over 50 easily. Sorry, but there some people who OBVIOUSLY should NOT be wearing spandex.

Enjoying Sirena.

Friendly group of PAXs. Saw a couple of older out of shape guys by the sun deck pool wearing speedos. Noticed the gym is underutilized. So far, 3 days at sea, There was a Zumba workout yesterday morning. About a dozen PAXs attended Zumba.

Myself and two other PAXs in the gym past three days. One, a fit looking “30 something” woman on the treadmill. and a 40is guy using using free weights.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

actually A is acceptable

beach type sandals are not

YMMV

No, option A is not acceptable.

The dress code says "sandals are not permitted".

It does not say "only men can't wear sandals".

It does not say "only dressy sandals can be worn".

It does not say "go to cruise critic and let a select group of self-declared fashion experts define what you can or cannot wear".

It says "sandals are not permitted".

What I am struggling with is why some people think they can violate the dress code when they deem it appropriate and then put down others for violating the dress code when they deem it inappropriate...

Example #2: Jeans

Dress code says that "casual jeans are not permitted". However, people on this forum seem to want to decide what is considered non-casual jeans. I can guarantee that my definition of non-casual jeans is different from that of the normal dress code thread posters. Why do you feel that your definition is appropriate and others, who differ from you, are wrong?

Example #3: Baseball hats

Dress code clearly states that baseball caps can be worn in the terrace. But, a quick review of dress code threads has the same posters putting down folks for wearing baseball caps in the Terrace. Again, why do you feel that your opinion overrides the dress code published by Oceania?

There will be a new dress code thread eventually.

Someone will be new to Oceania or Cruise Critic or both. They will ask "Hey, I am new at this! What's the dress code?"

Someone will be helpful and will post the dress code.

Then others, also being helpful, will provide guidance on the reality of the dress code with comments like...

- Men don't have to wear jackets

- Women can wear sandals

And then others will give outfit suggestions that one would typically see at dinner on Oceania...

- Men often wear a collared shirt and slacks

- Women often wear a maxi dress and nice sandals

All super helpful. Maybe violations to the dress code (the sandal thing), but still the guidance was provided with the intention of being helpful. Most people seek guidance from CC in order to avoid the dreaded "I feel over or under dressed" feeling. Contrary to the opinions of a few on here...most people don't want to buck the system.

What is not needed? Insults, commentary on the guidance when one feels their opinion is superior, snarky remarks

Examples:

(definitely not my words)

- I wouldn't be caught dead in yoga pants

- Maybe it is not a generational thing but a class thing

- My kids would [insert comment to make the poster's point]

- 250 pounder in spandex

- Baseball hats are appalling

Leaving out a few examples here as I don't even want to retype it.

And any other comment that would insult a passenger's weight, appearance, income level, or intelligence. Because I am willing to bet that you know nothing more about that person other than they have a differing opinion to you on what one should wear to dinner on a cruise.

This discussion is held every 6months on this board and others,with the exact same results on each board. O is no exception for trolls/snarks, self imposed dress police, etc. Forgive me for going to the O website, but I am not sure where the “no sandals after 6PM” is noted. Here in the FAQ’s it notes:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

See this link aprox midway down the page:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Then, when the person finds out the rules, the response will be "I don't like the rules. They shouldn't apply to me. I'm above all of this. What can I get away with?"

And at the end of the day, so what?

Do you really think there will be a huge wave of people wearing thongs and pasties to the dining room? Are you concerned that torn jeans will be everywhere on Oceania?

Or do you think that the target demographic, pricing structure, and typical cruise duration on Oceania will self-select for a certain type of passenger who will largely adhere to basic definitions of the current Oceania experience?

So there's a guy at some table wearing a baseball cap.

So there's some woman wearing torn jeans.

If it bothers one so much that they obsess over it, the problem is less the person with the cap or the jeans. Get therapy.

Many of the self-appointed dress czars have shown repeatedly that substance and style are often incongruent. Clearly there are people here who may dress "appropriately" but who are really quite ugly on the inside.

I'll take the guy with the baseball cap who can tell a funny story, is kind to fellow passengers and crew, and is personable over a well-dressed, self-righteous busybody who actually sits in the restaurant making notes of what others are wearing.

This discussion is held every 6months on this board and others,with the exact same results on each board. O is no exception for trolls/snarks, self imposed dress police, etc. Forgive me for going to the O website, but I am not sure where the “no sandals after 6PM” is noted. Here in the FAQ’s it notes:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

See this link aprox midway down the page:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Agree with your comment about the iterative nature of these threads.

Please see post #204. KingofCool, the OP, included a photo of the dress code that was published in the Currents for this Cuba cruise. I triple checked it....it states sandals are not permitted.

Then, when the person finds out the rules, the response will be "I don't like the rules. They shouldn't apply to me. I'm above all of this. What can I get away with?"

I truly believe that this is not what a majority of Oceania cruisers are trying to do. They come to CC to gain an understanding of the standards and norms. They don't want to stand out, either being over or under dressed. This is my opinion, as a woman, and as an Oceania passenger. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe there are a large group of Oceania passengers spending their time on CC, asking questions about dress codes, so that they can ignore the responses. Wouldn't a person who intends to ignore codes and rules just do it? Or just wear whatever clothes they wanted without seeking guidance?

My post also stated that these threads typically start with someone asking for help and the first or second response is a cut and paste of the dress code. How would a group of people throwing insults and contradictions stop someone from violating the dress code?

All I can say is after several cruises on Oceania I wear dress sandals & many others ladies do

no one has said we have to go put on closed toed shoes

It has been discussed many times here & probably will be discussed many more time

The no sandals are referring to beach sandals flipflop types ..hopefully Oceania will spell that out more clearly in future

I still think they should post photos of what is & is not acceptable

as they say a picture is worth a thousand words

JMO

And at the end of the day, so what?

Do you really think there will be a huge wave of people wearing thongs and pasties to the dining room? Are you concerned that torn jeans will be everywhere on Oceania?

Or do you think that the target demographic, pricing structure, and typical cruise duration on Oceania will self-select for a certain type of passenger who will largely adhere to basic definitions of the current Oceania experience?

So there's a guy at some table wearing a baseball cap.

So there's some woman wearing torn jeans.

If it bothers one so much that they obsess over it, the problem is less the person with the cap or the jeans. Get therapy.

Many of the self-appointed dress czars have shown repeatedly that substance and style are often incongruent. Clearly there are people here who may dress "appropriately" but who are really quite ugly on the inside.

I'll take the guy with the baseball cap who can tell a funny story, is kind to fellow passengers and crew, and is personable over a well-dressed, self-righteous busybody who actually sits in the restaurant making notes of what others are wearing.

I'm not concerned at all. I find it humorous how upset some people become when they have to follow rules that they don't like.

I truly believe that this is not what a majority of Oceania cruisers are trying to do. They come to CC to gain an understanding of the standards and norms. They don't want to stand out, either being over or under dressed. This is my opinion, as a woman, and as an Oceania passenger. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe there are a large group of Oceania passengers spending their time on CC, asking questions about dress codes, so that they can ignore the responses. Wouldn't a person who intends to ignore codes and rules just do it? Or just wear whatever clothes they wanted without seeking guidance?

My post also stated that these threads typically start with someone asking for help and the first or second response is a cut and paste of the dress code. How would a group of people throwing insults and contradictions stop someone from violating the dress code?

Good point.

No, option A is not acceptable.

The dress code says "sandals are not permitted".

It does not say "only men can't wear sandals".

It does not say "only dressy sandals can be worn".

It does not say "go to cruise critic and let a select group of self-declared fashion experts define what you can or cannot wear".

It says "sandals are not permitted".

What I am struggling with is why some people think they can violate the dress code when they deem it appropriate and then put down others for violating the dress code when they deem it inappropriate...

Example #2: Jeans

Dress code says that "casual jeans are not permitted". However, people on this forum seem to want to decide what is considered non-casual jeans. I can guarantee that my definition of non-casual jeans is different from that of the normal dress code thread posters. Why do you feel that your definition is appropriate and others, who differ from you, are wrong?

Example #3: Baseball hats

Dress code clearly states that baseball caps can be worn in the terrace. But, a quick review of dress code threads has the same posters putting down folks for wearing baseball caps in the Terrace. Again, why do you feel that your opinion overrides the dress code published by Oceania?

Now you need to stop making sense, some people can't deal with it.

I at least like a cruise with less Americans on board,

Yeah, especially when those non Americans spend the day in their Speedos out by the pool. Uh, no thanks, I'd rather not see that.