Seabourn cruiser tries Silversea

CLOU

I am an experienced cruiser, with 9 Radisson/Regent cruises followed by 7 Seabourn cruises. My husband and I decided to give Silversea a try because many people of told us Silversea and Seabourn are comparable and, to be perfectly honest, I think Silversea has more diverse itineraries these days. My husband and I just completed just completed a 7-day Mediterranean cruise on the Cloud. This post will summarize my experience with Silversea. I also posted on the Silversea board, going into more detail on the Silversea post, so people would understand my point of view and in the hopes of not getting flamed. You can read my post there for more details. My general conclusion is that given the right itinerary, on one of the newer ships, I would be willing to try Silversea once more. However, in almost every category, I found Seabourn to be at least a notch above, even though I have noticed that Seabourn has gone downhill a little year by year, as I expect is true of most of the luxury lines. Further, when it comes to food, Seabourn wins hands down, not because Seabourn is without fault but because we found the food on the Cloud to barely passable at the best of times and downright bad at other times.

In general, we found the food much better on Seabourn, the bar selection (other than Champagne) better on Seabourn, and the facilities better on Seabourn (other than the pool chairs) - although in fairness, we were on one of the original Silversea ships. As for service, in general it was about the same except as noted below.

There was an AC problem throughout the ship, especially in the area of our cabin. After having the engineers work on it when we first arrived, our room became tolerable throughout the cruise, but barely, and only if we kept our drapes closed at all times during the day – meaning no ability to enjoy the view when there was one. The need to keep the windows covered was true in other public areas of the ship.

The butler concept failed for us. He and the steward always promptly serviced our room twice a day while we were out. However, as for me, I did not need a separate butler for that. Otherwise, he was underfoot when we did not need him, and not there the one time we did need him.

I did find the staff very friendly and helpful, and we were addressed by name several times. I noted that many of the servers’ English was a bit limited. This led to some problems with ordering, drinks in particular. We also found that other than the cruise director and his assistant, whom we came to know through trivia, and the hotel director whom we saw out and about, the senior staff including the captain were largely invisible.

And now, the elephant in the room. The food. While food is very subjective, for us we found it generally tepid and flavorless – other than the burger. Specifics. The appetizers served at receptions and in the bar were universally cold, even when they were intended to be served hot such as fried calamari or pigs in a blanket. If serving hot canapes is impossible, then only cold ones should be served. The dinner was often tasteless and overcooked. We determined our best course of action was to eat things that took little or no preparation – salads, crudos, etc. We also did not like the fact that other than in the main dining room you had to make reservations. This meant you only truly had open dining in the main restaurant.

So. Lots of negative sounding things. However, the facilities for an older ship were acceptable. While the bathroom was small I liked the larger shower. The service was generally good. We enjoyed our fellow passengers. As stated above, since we like luxury all-inclusive cruising, and Silversea at this time seems to have more diverse itineraries than Seabourn, for the right itinerary I would give it another try. However, if the food were to be similar, I think it would become a deal breaker after that.

We are Crystal cruisers and we do want to try Seabourn. Our two SS experiences were not good at all. You mention the food and that was exactly what we thought. Service was hit and miss. I have been told by Seabourn people who also sail Crystal that the food and service are on a par and we might enjoy a smaller ship as well. Martita (Martha) on CC has always tried to get us to book one Seabourn trip on one of her cruises. Sadly, we never did.

We have sailed almost everywhere so the ship is our destination and some ports we want to revisit. Seabourn is still on our radar.

I have no agenda either way but have cruised both lines once each. I agree with the Ship's Officers seeming more approachable. We were on the Odyssey on Seabourn, trans-canal, and Spirit on a TA with SS. We found the food very tolerable to very good on Silversea. Rooms on both were probably similar with what one lacked was made up for other ways. I agree about the butler probably 98%. He was always willing except when we needed (wanted) something.

Back to the food. The smaller venues did require reservations but they seemed easily obtained. We ate in the extra charge La Champagne once because we had an onboard credit. It was truly magnificent. Not sure I'd pony up the extra $$$ out of pocket though as I felt the MDR was very good as well.

I have booked Seabourn for our next cruise and quite frankly we felt it was the little intangibles that made Seabourn more to our liking. I really like to get up and have some coffee ASAP while my DW sleeps in. Seabourn Square coffee shop worked beautifully for that. Usually the same several people each morning so that clearly isn't a deal breaker for most.

I talked with another couple on SS and they felt the same that Seabourn was their choice also, but, not sure why.

Having said this, I would go on either line without hesitation. I read reviews where there was NO WAY the reviewers were on the same ship as us. One person referred to SS Italian venue as worse than Chef Boyardee. I felt it was superb and so did many others who ate there regularly. The outside casual dining Grill was more to my liking on Seabourn but others would probably vote 50/50 as to which they enjoyed most.

I certainly would not discourage a Seabourn repeater from trying SS. Some are never happy, others are OK with change. The OP probably got on a sailing when the food was sub par. I doubt that is normal for SS.

I have no agenda either way but have cruised both lines once each. I agree with the Ship's Officers seeming more approachable. We were on the Odyssey on Seabourn, trans-canal, and Spirit on a TA with SS. We found the food very tolerable to very good on Silversea. Rooms on both were probably similar with what one lacked was made up for other ways. I agree about the butler probably 98%. He was always willing except when we needed (wanted) something.

Back to the food. The smaller venues did require reservations but they seemed easily obtained. We ate in the extra charge La Champagne once because we had an onboard credit. It was truly magnificent. Not sure I'd pony up the extra $$$ out of pocket though as I felt the MDR was very good as well.

I have booked Seabourn for our next cruise and quite frankly we felt it was the little intangibles that made Seabourn more to our liking. I really like to get up and have some coffee ASAP while my DW sleeps in. Seabourn Square coffee shop worked beautifully for that. Usually the same several people each morning so that clearly isn't a deal breaker for most.

I talked with another couple on SS and they felt the same that Seabourn was their choice also, but, not sure why.

Having said this, I would go on either line without hesitation. I read reviews where there was NO WAY the reviewers were on the same ship as us. One person referred to SS Italian venue as worse than Chef Boyardee. I felt it was superb and so did many others who ate there regularly. The outside casual dining Grill was more to my liking on Seabourn but others would probably vote 50/50 as to which they enjoyed most.

I certainly would not discourage a Seabourn repeater from trying SS. Some are never happy, others are OK with change. The OP probably got on a sailing when the food was sub par. I doubt that is normal for SS.

On SS it was sub par for us twice and two strikes for us we are out. When we find a good itinerary we will give Seabourn a try but for now it is Crystal.

On SS it was sub par for us twice and two strikes for us we are out. When we find a good itinerary we will give Seabourn a try but for now it is Crystal.

Can you kindly inform what it is that keeps you on Crystal? Never been on them and curious...Thanks!

Can you kindly inform what it is that keeps you on Crystal? Never been on them and curious...Thanks!

I will be glad to. We have 27 cruises with Crystal and many other lines as well but not yet Seabourn but we hope to find the right cruise for us on this line.

Crystal has consistent service in all areas and you will never hear the word no from anyone. The food is excellent and most of the time rates above land based restaurants. The standard cabins are small but well laid out. We do stay in the butler suites. Attention to detail is paramount to Crystal. Enrichments programs are great, the shows are extremely professional, the space of the public areas makes you feel like you are on a private yacht even when the ship is near full capacity. The crew to passenger ratio is almost 1:1. We have been sailing Crystal since the first year of the Harmony.

Crystal right now is expanding their brand to to river cruises and yachts as well as air and two more luxury ocean liners about the same size as the Symphony and Serenity....this is two to three years out. Time will tell.

We have heard from several Seabourn people that cruise Crystal as well and love both lines and have encouraged us to give Seabourn a try including our TA. I have heard we don't need a butler on SB...we just need a larger cabin or my partner and I will kill each other.:eek:

We were afraid to try one of the triplets because we thought that would be too intimate for us but the new Seabourn ships seem to be the perfect size. The smoking issue has kind of held us back as well and I am a reformed smoker. I think that will be fixed but really is not a deal breaker for us. I will just avoid the temptation. Give me caviar and a nice red wine and I will be happy. Not sure about TK family style dining but heck we would give it a try.

Sorry, I am all over the map with my reply. Seabourn does seem like a close fit for us. We tried Rgent five times and simply did not meet or exceed our expectations. Our next cruise is on the Serenity for our third visit to Antartica and after that we will be looking for a Seabourn test cruise.

Edited by Suite Travels

I will be glad to. We have 27 cruises with Crystal and many other lines as well but not yet Seabourn but we hope to find the right cruise for us on this line.

Crystal has consistent service in all areas and you will never hear the word no from anyone. The food is excellent and most of the time rates above land based restaurants. The standard cabins are small but well laid out. We do stay in the butler suites. Attention to detail is paramount to Crystal. Enrichments programs are great, the shows are extremely professional, the space of the public areas makes you feel like you are on a private yacht even when the ship is near full capacity. The crew to passenger ratio is almost 1:1. We have been sailing Crystal since the first year of the Harmony.

Crystal right now is expanding their brand to to river cruises and yachts as well as air and two more luxury ocean liners about the same size as the Symphony and Serenity....this is two to three years out. Time will tell.

We have heard from several Seabourn people that cruise Crystal as well and love both lines and have encouraged us to give Seabourn a try including our TA. I have heard we don't need a butler on SB...we just need a larger cabin or my partner and I will kill each other.:eek:

We were afraid to try one of the triplets because we thought that would be too intimate for us but the new Seabourn ships seem to be the perfect size. The smoking issue has kind of held us back as well and I am a reformed smoker. I think that will be fixed but really is not a deal breaker for us. I will just avoid the temptation. Give me caviar and a nice red wine and I will be happy. Not sure about TK family style dining but heck we would give it a try.

Sorry, I am all over the map with my reply. Seabourn does seem like a close fit for us. We tried Rgent five times and simply did not meet or exceed our expectations. Our next cruise is on the Serenity for our third visit to Antartica and after that we will be looking for a Seabourn test cruise.

Many thanks for sharing your views. You mentioned smoking on Seabourn: Where is it allowed on Crystal?

Not allowed in suites or balconies. Port side of the pool and the enclosed Connoisseur Club. The rest of the ship in no smoking. The smokers have adapted and have a place to go.

The port side of the pool is very limited to smokers and you really do not see that many. The club is a good spot for them to enjoy a smoke and a brandy/drink next to the Avenue Saloon which is next door.

Crystal's smoking rules do sound good, compared with others especially Seabourn.

Some people will only go on one line, most often it seems to be the Regent fans and to a lesser extent Crystal. Others are willing to try several and then make their minds up, sometimes feeling able to cruise a couple, others really only liking one.

I think, on reflection, our no. 1 reason for really only travelling with Seabourn, after trying all the others, is the staff. Generally friendly Officers who have excellent English, and friendly staff who seem to put the customer's needs first, generally, but above all have a very good command of English so that you can have conversations with them, as well as them understanding what you need or want. For some it is their native language, all the others have a very good command of it. I am afraid most Brits and probably Americans do not speak any other language well, so it does make a real difference.

lincslady has made some strong points as to why she chooses Seabourn. I concur about the officers and crew being so amenable. We always feel we are with family as soon as we board a Seabourn ship. That aspect of the intimacy people talk about when they reminisce about the old Seabourn sisters rings true today on the Odyssey class ships and I expect will remain on the Encore class ships.

An assertion and a question...

I understand that Seabourn has the most impressive loyalty program. How can you beat a free 2 week cruise after 250 days sailing? And for Diamond members the free internet and laundry plus discounts on supplement wines and tours are all great for us.

My question is about Crystal and Silversea head office responsiveness. How does that work for you e.g. when the topic is not one you would pass to your travel agent to deal with? As you might expect, I am not impressed with Seabourn's lack of action on changing their smoking policy. After being told 20 months ago that it would change, I am still waiting for word.

I like the no smoking in balcony policy on Crystal but not at all on Silversea since reports above say the line does not enforce it. That speaks volumes about their attention to detail. And back to Seabourn, it's ridiculous that a public lounge in effect becomes a smoker's lounge after 20:00 when the rules there change, smokers light up, and nonsmokers get driven out. That speaks to the responsiveness of the marketing department.

Happy and HEALTHY sailing!

I could not agree more with your review. Long time Seabourn guests we tried Silversea this Spring for 2 weeks - Primarily because of specific itinerary ports (Meteora) but also because of timing.

With the sailing's capacity at 40% ....(hello, Turkey itinerary) we expected superior everything. It didn't happen. We tried the Verandah restaurant on the first night and vowed NOT to eat dinner there again. What Italian line overcooks pasta!! I was underwhelmed with the breakfast and lunch selections in the Verandah versus Seabourn , very underwhelmed. Heard about the "messy"/greasy "grill your own dinner" on the pool deck and avoided that as well. Found the main restaurant "fair", while DH loved it....go figure! Bland starters, boring salads, bland entrees and lackluster desserts in my opinion.

Service however, was EXCELLENT throughout the ship. You only had to think about a cappuccino and one was set in front of you.

I did like our cabin but NOT our bathroom. The desk area, similar to Regent worked well for us and the size/weight of the balcony furniture better than Seabourn.

It took us a day or two to work the single sink configuration in the bathroom but it quickly became a non-issue due to the excellent lighting in the vanity area at the foot of the bed.

We too never saw any officers.....day or night greeting guests, other than the captain's reception.

That said, we would sail Silversea again if they itinerary was one that Seabourn didn't offer. I would adjust my expectations.

That said, can't wait to board Seabourn this November for the Canary Island adventure!

Counting the days .......:)

Have to agree with EVERYTHING you have said. During the '90s we sailed with SS many times and enjoyed every one, and since then Crystal and Seabourn are equal No.1

We returned to SS, as we liked the itinerary, and decided to do the Christmas cruise

which turned out to be a disaster as far as we were concerned. Smoking was advertised

as not allowed however it was everywhere and despite complaints to Hotel Manager

they never did anything. Never again.

We loved reading your opinion of Crystal and agreed with everything you said.

We have sailed with them many times and we spent the Millenium on the 'Harmony when it was in their fleet, which was the cruise of a 'life time' outside the harbour in Rio.

We, like you enjoy cruising, we now have Christmas cruise no. 46 coming up this year

many on Crystal and they are still the top for that time of the year.

We thoroughly recommend Seabourn to you having 30 cruises with them with many things similar to Crystal.

We live on a small Island with 152 ships calling and the 'Symphony' is calling here

this month and next. We intend to go to the harbour just to see it.

It has been interesting to note that not only do a number of you agree with me, but a few of the people on the Silversea Board agree with me. Even if they don't agree, they appreciate my comments and the details of why I was disappointed. Actually, I expected to be flamed, because I have seen that occur on this board when someone offers criticism, but I was not at all. I think perhaps my very specific details in that post (more so than on this one) made it hard to think I was being unreasonable.

Now, I am looking forward to my Seabourn Canada/New England cruise in September. Two cruises in one year is a real treat for me.

MeetingMaid, I would like to hear about your Canary Island Adventure when you return. It is an itinerary I have considered. My husband is not sure about what there is to do or see in the Canaries, especially in shoulder season.

I have heard the same thing about Crystal and Seabourn. Many Seabourn people cruise both lines and tell me that it is equivalent to Crystal and that is a good thing. Silversea twice and did not care for it so they are out of our cruise lineups. Regent, five times...just ok not great. I have heard they are improving but service was inconsistent.

We will be looking at Seabourn in the future as an alternative to Crystal. Why not.

Love Seabourn-- was on it May 2015. Also love Azamara (on it Christmas 2014/Jan 2015)-- the longer port stays and the overnights are great. I like both of these lines the best, due to the size of ships, staff friendliness AND open seating dining. Crystal is lovely, but it is a larger ship and I dislike being locked into a "set" dining time. Was on Silverseas Silver Wind in the mid 1990s-- too small a ship-- not enough to do, although at that time the food was good. Will be back on Azamara Journey this Christmas for 2 weeks for a Singapore, Indonesia and Bali cruise. We book the Club Continent suites and thus can dine in the specialty restaurants for free and the food is splendid. But we like the fact that with no reservation, we can also dine in the other venues whenever it's convenient for us,in case we're having a great time in port and don't want to rush back to the ship.

Not only are the officers more interactive with the guests on Seabourn, they regularly host tables at dinner giving passengers the opportunity to socialize with other passengers who may have otherwise never met. Yes, the crew is great, but so are the passengers. Some of us just need that little push to inter mingle.

I think this is one of the ingredients that sets Seabourn apart from Silversea as well as the other luxury lines.

My advice is to try other cruise lines when the itinerary is the driver. You might find that you like the other line the same or even better than your favorite line or you might find that you don't and will appreciate your favorite line even more.

One thing about Silversea. They have several different classes of ships with another one the way. The experience will be different on each class for several reason as size does matter. The Silver Cloud is their smallest and oldest ship.

My experience is even on the same ship no two cruises are ever the same. So many factors come into play from the weather to the itinerary to the guests on board to the senior officers, the stewardess you are assigned and the list goes on and on and on.

Even at a favorite restaurant on land, often we are pleased but on occasion we are disappointed. If we only went once either when it was perfect or when it was off we might have vastly different impressions.

We have only sailed SIlversea two times but on the Shadow and the Spirit. We had a better experience on the Spirit.

In the end thankfully there are differences between all the cruise lines and some differences between ships within a line. We like this because we all have different preferences when it comes to cruising as we do when it comes to many things from the type of hotel we stay at to the type of automobile we drive.

The only opinion that matters is your own and the only way to figure out what works and does not is to try it out yourself.

But I always am very careful to draw full conclusions the first time I do something.

We are all so fortunate to be able to cruise and to do so on a variety of lines including luxury lines.

Keith

I too noticed the paucity of hosted tables. I think I noticed 2 during the whole cruise. Not only did we not receive an invitation, which was fine by us since we usually turn them down, but I did not see any of the tell-tale envelopes waiting outside other peoples' doors. While it did not bother me, I know a lot of people enjoy the experience of dining with various officers, lecturers, etc.

As for the fact that the Cloud is the smallest and oldest ship, I was aware of that when we booked the cruise and knew I would need to take that into consideration in evaluating the cruise and comparing it to Seabourn. In general, I could allow for limitations based on the age and size of the ship, but that was still no excuse for an inadequate air conditioning system, which was my main complaint about the facilities themselves.

CLOU I hope you did not take my comments that the Cloud is the oldest and smallest she as an excuser for the AC issue. Rather even if was the newest ship my point is that with a wide range of ships that come in various sizes and age that the experience can be quite different. When I mentioned age it was more in terms of technology available. Yes, things should work no matter what the age of a ship is when one sails a luxury line.

Keith