Jewel vs Symphony, in the Med - help us choose!

gzmtlock

Looking to cruise next September, trying to choose between two options, Symphony vs Jewel. From a ship standpoint, probably prefer Jewel - we lean towards smaller ships. But will "settle" for a larger one if the itinerary is more appealing.

For the date we're looking at, Jewel leaves from Civitavecchia and Symphony from Barcelona. They both stop at Palma de Mallorca. The differences are:

Jewel - Monte Carlo (Cannes); Ajaccio, Corsica; Sardinia (Cagliari)

Symphony - Provence (Marseilles); Florence/Pisa (La Spezia); Naples (Capri)

Which itinerary would you choose? And why?

Definitely Symphony!

1- Newest ship all brand smacking new

2- She will have a fabulous crew, all from the Harmony from what many of the Harmony crew told me they are the best crew out of all my cruises and I been on 71 cruises so far.

3- If you haven't been to Italy, the Symphony gives you more of Italy, lots more to see and do rather than the Jewel who goes to Corsica and Sardinia basically an island, Italian but an island....there are endless places to see and things to do if you choose the Symphony, you see so much more but on another note:

Jewel- Leaves from Civitavecchia so your able to fly in earlier and go see Rome and Naples and even Florence if you allow enough time to do so.

So it all boils down to do you want to spend days before the cruise in Rome and see the other places of Italy, if so, then choose the Jewel, if you don't have the time I say Symphony.

Barcelona is a great city pre and post cruise also a much easier port to get get to Civitavecchia.

Jewel is a lovely ship and a good choice but for itinerary and class of ship I would definitely sail Symphony although I am pretty sure it would be more expensive.

Whatever you choose I am sure you will have a great cruise.

Positives for Symphony :

Barcelona is a better embarkation port. Airport nearby, plenty to do for pre-cruise or post cruise stay.

New ship, totally different from older classes, more of a floating resort so will offer a different and greater on board ship experience especially with variety of dinning, entertainment and areas of ships to explore.

If you book a suite, the suite experience will be far superior to that on Jewel.

Positives for Jewel :

IMO will be easier to get on/off ship at port stops. Some will probably require tenders so fewer numbers will mean less congestion.

More of a traditional cruise experience which requires less planning.

Probably significantly cheaper.

Summary :

When I choose a cruise it is either because of ship experience or port itinerary. For ship, I would choose Symphony. For itinerary/port stops I would choose Jewel. Price would be a factor.

When I choose a cruise it is either because of ship experience or port itinerary. For ship, I would choose Symphony. For itinerary/port stops I would choose Jewel. Price would be a factor.

That just about sums up how I feel.

I think your main consideration should be what you want to see. Whilst I love Oasis class ships I would not pay silly prices to visit those ports as I've been to all of them many times before. However, the Symphony itinerary does offer more sightseeing opportunities. Just be aware that La Spezia is a long long way from Florence and even Pisa - much better to visit Cinque Terre from there. Also I would not visit Capri from Naples but would choose Pompei or Herculaneum. Barcelona is definitely the easier of the two ports to cruise from.

If you want to see some iconic places then the Symphony offers more opportunity. Take a look at what's on offer from each of the ports on both cruises and what you would really like to do.

... IMO will be easier to get on/off ship at port stops. Some will probably require tenders so fewer numbers will mean less congestion.

More of a traditional cruise experience which requires less planning.

Probably significantly cheaper. ...

This is why I would choose Jewel.

Thanks for all the input - it's very helpful! Leaning a bit more strongly toward Jewel:

1. As several noted, Jewel is significantly less expensive

2. This will be hubby's 1st Med cruise, my 2nd. Our focus will be on excursions, not ship activities. So while Symphony looks really beautiful, why pay more for what we won't take the time to enjoy?

3. Opportunity to introduce my husband to Les Calanche on Corsica. We are very much outdoor people, appreciating the beauty of God's creation, and a visit here was a highlight on my previous Med cruise.

But a few cons remain:

1. I visited Cinque Terre on my previous Med cruise, and know my hubby would LOVE it! We only have that option on Symphony (at least this year. . .)

2. Unfortunately, we don't have extra time, can only take a week off work. So the extra distance from Rome to port may be a significant factor vs the ease of Barcelona. Need to do more research on this. . .

On that note, what is the earliest recommended flight time out of Rome the day of disembarkation? The itinerary says the ship will arrive at port at 5 am. :o I'm assuming disembarkation would be around 7 am?

Answering my own question - we would need to stay overnight in Rome post-cruise, would not want the stress of trying to make a late morning flight to the US. We could probably "afford" one more day of vacation, just need to factor that in.

Thanks again for any and all advice!

Leaning a bit more strongly toward Jewel:

1. Jewel is significantly less expensive

2. This will be hubby's 1st Med cruise.... Our focus will be on excursions, not ship activities.

3. Opportunity to introduce my husband to Les Calanche on Corsica.

Jewel is your one and only choice then per what I hilighted above in your quote.

You will regret booking Symphony and missing pretty much everything on board (let alone trying to book shows/entertainment) around the very long port times with a port intensive itinerary. Jewel is the perfect ship for the Med... I just did this itinerary.

Btw I really wish I had discovered those cliffs in Corsica!!! Wow.

Unfortunately, we don't have extra time, can only take a week off work. So the extra distance from Rome to port may be a significant factor vs the ease of Barcelona. Need to do more research on this. . .

On that note, what is the earliest recommended flight time out of Rome the day of disembarkation? The itinerary says the ship will arrive at port at 5 am. :o I'm assuming disembarkation would be around 7 am?

Your husband's very 1st trip to Europe? All that way for just one week?? I feel that you and your husband will truly regret not visiting Rome for a day pre cruise. I recommend pre-cruise so that you know your plane/flights have arrived the day before your cruise with no cancellations/etc the day before. Much easier to fly out at end of the cruise on disembarkation day.

Embarkation tips ... stay closer to Termini train station in Rome. From FCO airport to Termini is the direct Leonardo Da Vinci fast train 12 euro each... walk to your hotel from the station and enjoy Rome for the day. Then next morning take train to Civitavecchia, about 1 hour journey.... or book private or shared shuttle service (many many to choose from, just google)

Debarkation... RCL transfer buses leave Civitavecchia on that Sunday morning around 8am and arrive at FCO around 9am... easy to plan a flight that leaves around 11:30am. Like embarkation, you can also plan private transfer.

Jewel is the perfect ship for the Med... I just did this itinerary.

Your husband's very 1st trip to Europe? All that way for just one week?? I feel that you and your husband will truly regret not visiting Rome for a day pre cruise. I recommend pre-cruise so that you know your plane/flights have arrived the day before your cruise with no cancellations/etc the day before. Much easier to fly out at end of the cruise on disembarkation day.

Thanks so much for the very helpful info about embarkation and debarkation! And it's really good to hear you enjoyed your Jewel/Med trip so much.

Re. your feedback on 1st trip - I couldn't agree more! But sometimes you take what you can get. . . I would love to add another 4-5 days, but he doesn't want to commit that much of his annual vacation allotment to one trip. We are going to fly out Friday/arrive Saturday, so we'll have that day in Rome, but of course we'll be very tired. C'est la vie! (Sorry, don't know the Italian version:)) I'm just very thankful he's finally decided he wants to come to Europe with me! And since one day of the cruise is a holiday, we can stay another day in Rome after and he's still only taking 5 vacation days. I would be comfortable with the debarkation time lines you outlined, but I've traveled a ton more than him. He would be totally stressed the whole morning - a yucky way to end a vacation. So we'll tag on another day.

We are going to fly out Friday/arrive Saturday, so we'll have that day in Rome, but of course we'll be very tired.... we can stay another day in Rome after

Fantastic!!! Depending on the hotel, you can get early check-in (ask them) so if you fly in overnight you may be able to rest for an hour or two before heading out to site-see. Yes... that day in Rome after the cruise is the icing on the cake. You and your husband are going to have a blast ... congrats:D

Fyi, if you need advice, email me below and I'll try my best to help

Train to/from FCO, full day in Rome pre-cruise, and how to take train to Civitavecchia

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44291362&highlight=Here+we+go+CC+family#post44291362

Current Jewel review of this itinerary (I'm trying to finish it)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2536756

(Note 2 days pre cruise and 4 days post cruise in Rome)