Diving in Bermuda and St. Maarten - timing question

BalekFekete

Hi everyone,

My DW and I are looking to get certified before an upcoming cruise, however, I'm worried about the timing the ship will arrive at the islands. If we can't get to any recommended dive shops in time, then it doesn't make sense to go through the course now but rather wait until a future itinerary that would fit a diving schedule.

The stop in Bermuda arrives at 8AM and arrives in St. Maarten at 12:15. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights on whether these times would allow or prevent diving at those locations?

Thanks in advance for the insight, both on any recommended shops as well as the timing situation!

Hi everyone,

My DW and I are looking to get certified before an upcoming cruise, however, I'm worried about the timing the ship will arrive at the islands. If we can't get to any recommended dive shops in time, then it doesn't make sense to go through the course now but rather wait until a future itinerary that would fit a diving schedule.

The stop in Bermuda arrives at 8AM and arrives in St. Maarten at 12:15. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights on whether these times would allow or prevent diving at those locations?

Thanks in advance for the insight, both on any recommended shops as well as the timing situation!

You likely will be fine.

Bermuda:

You may as well dive with Fantasea Water Sports. They are right at the cruise pier (Royal Navy Dockyard). They are quite used to working with cruise passengers. When I was there I booked dives with another operator, and for my trouble paid for transportation, paid more for the dives, and went to the exact same dive sites. ON top of that, the operator I used canceled on two of the three days I was there, so I got a chance to compare Fantasea to them, and they were better all around. www.fantasea.bm (note it's bm not com).

One thing with Fantasea is they run the cruise ship dive excursions as well. On the day I dove with them, as a "walk-up", they asked which ship I was on. I was on the Celebrity Summit. They had no Summit excursion that day, but did the next, so they took me as a regular customer. Had the summit had an excursion booked, they would have insisted I go through the ship. I don't know what will happen if you book in advance. If you book in advance, I don't know if they ask that question, or let you book. In any event, I don't recall that the difference between what I paid, and the excursion price was enough to deal with the hassle and expense of booking elsewhere; so if your ship offers it as an excursion, you may want to book it. It will be with Fantasea.

St. Maarten:

The afternoon arrival will likely be no problem, if you book with Octopus Diving's Dutch side operation. They are quite good at dealing with cruise ship customers, and almost certainly will be running a 1-tank dive, and likely will be able to offer you a 2-tank dive. www.octopusdivingsxm.com

They're about a 15 minute walk from the ship (even with equipment), or you can take the water taxi. if you take the water taxi, make sure to tell them you're going to "Bobbie's Marina". Only the smaller water taxi boat goes there. The Octopus Diving shop is literally the first thing you see when the water taxi docks. The Dutch Side has some decent wrecks, and good marine life. I prefer it to the French side, anyway, and diving the French side is a hassle because of the transportation. It's about a 30 minute cab ride with no traffic, but in the afternoon the roads are always jammed, so it's even longer.

Harris

Denver, CO