Jewel of the Seas in 6 weeks - any tips please?

#1
UK
31 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
My husband and I will be on the Jewel in 6 weeks, which includes a couple of sea days. Our shore excursions are sorted but I would love to hear about what we can do/shouldn't miss on the sea days.... we have only ever cruised once before and that was a 3 day in the Bahamas with no sea days so we are unsure about how to make best use of our 2 days at sea and also the evenings. All our drinks are included but I don't want to get too sloshed in the daytime!

I presume there are lots of daily activities that I will find out about on the form they leave in the room, but I'm after suggestions from real people that have been... any tips, secrets, things that not everyone knows about?

What type of shows do they do at night? Do they do any themed parties later on in the evening? If I'm feeling peckish at midnight where is the best place to get a snack?

I'm very excited but also starting to feel anxious because I'm very much a forward planner and like to research as much as possible. Yes I know I should just go with the flow, but I've saved hard for this cruise and want to come away feeling like we experienced everything on offer. I've done a lot of general reading on this forum but would love to know more, especially from people that have cruised on this ship recently.

Many thanks
#2
Arkansas
1,153 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Sea days!! That is a wonderful phrase. I love watching flying fish while at sea, reading and people watching in a lounge, taking part in trivia, deck games, culinary experiences, or whatever else is listed in the Cruise Compass. The Radiance class ships have card rooms, pool tables, two swimming pools and several hot tubs. Don't over plan, take things as they come. Take part in everything or nothing. It;s your vacation to do as you please.
There are two performances of the evening show each night except the first and last nights. Several nights there is a later show (usually adults only) or a participation show. Don't miss the "Love & Marriage" show or the "Quest" game. There is a 70's night--bring your bell-bottoms, dancing and games in the Centrum each night. Try out the different dining venues, the dining room menu is posted on the video boards every day (near the elevators on each deck). Formal nights are usually the second and fifth. Lobster tail served the second night on Caribbean sailings. Don't be afraid to say "no" to the photographers at embarkation, ports, dining Venus, etc. by the same token, there are several casual and formal opportunities for photo every day. You are not committed to buying any of them.
Hope this helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#3
UK
31 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by roadburner
Sea days!! That is a wonderful phrase. I love watching flying fish while at sea, reading and people watching in a lounge, taking part in trivia, deck games, culinary experiences, or whatever else is listed in the Cruise Compass. The Radiance class ships have card rooms, pool tables, two swimming pools and several hot tubs. Don't over plan, take things as they come. Take part in everything or nothing. It;s your vacation to do as you please.
There are two performances of the evening show each night except the first and last nights. Several nights there is a later show (usually adults only) or a participation show. Don't miss the "Love & Marriage" show or the "Quest" game. There is a 70's night--bring your bell-bottoms, dancing and games in the Centrum each night. Try out the different dining venues, the dining room menu is posted on the video boards every day (near the elevators on each deck). Formal nights are usually the second and fifth. Lobster tail served the second night on Caribbean sailings. Don't be afraid to say "no" to the photographers at embarkation, ports, dining Venus, etc. by the same token, there are several casual and formal opportunities for photo every day. You are not committed to buying any of them.
Hope this helps.
This is perfect! Thank you SO much, you have given me so much useful information. I do fancy the 70's night, and the love and marriage show sounds good fun too! Reading your response has made me even more excited now
#4
Fort Worth, TX
135 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Jewel is a fabulous ship. Our favorite thing on our sea day (or any day) is the outdoor area of the Windjammer. Great views and usually not as crowded.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Sea Princess 4/2000
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/2001
Golden Princess 2/2002
Grand Princess 10/2004 "1st balcony"
Rhapsody of the Seas 4/2006
Carnival Conquest 9/2007
Independence of the Seas 9/2015
Liberty of the Seas 10/2016

Jewel of the Seas 6/2017 10th Anniversary Med Cruise
#5
nj
1,111 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
There is a nice movie theater on board also and popcorn outside or at least last April.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend, October 2009 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, October 2010 Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, November 2011 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor, November 2013 Bahamas
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, November 2014 reposition bayonne to port canaveral
Carnival Sunshine, October 2015 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April, 2016 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, October, 2016 Bayonne to San Juan
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, April 2017 TransAtl San Juan to Rome
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, November, 2017 TransAtl Barcelona to Tampa
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Southern Caribbean - lol - turned select from RCCL
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Reposition San Juan to Bayonne
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, November 2018 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning emerald)!!
RCCL Vision of the Seas, January 2019 Western Caribbean
RCCL Brilliance of the seas, November 2019 transatlantic Barcelona to Tampa (turning diamond!!)
#6
Kansas City (Gladstone) , MO
3,960 Posts
Joined May 2006
I appreciate these postings so far about the Jewel of the Seas ship. Of of the reason we may do this ship is because it is going to St. Lucia, which I fell in love with, and want to go back.

As we have never been on this ship before, and are "thinking" about doing it, what pros/cons (yes this is YOUR opinion) of this ship would you give me?
#7
Arizona Desert
577 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by dizzyc
My husband and I will be on the Jewel in 6 weeks, which includes a couple of sea days. Our shore excursions are sorted but I would love to hear about what we can do/shouldn't miss on the sea days.... we have only ever cruised once before and that was a 3 day in the Bahamas with no sea days so we are unsure about how to make best use of our 2 days at sea and also the evenings. ...
I believe the Jewel of the Seas will be in Europe in 6 weeks. At least, I cruise on her starting June 24, 2018 and she'll be in Civitavecchia port for embarkation that day. Are you sailing transatlantic on her May 6?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
not taking vacations but collecting experiences!
#8
UK
31 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by nomadguy
I believe the Jewel of the Seas will be in Europe in 6 weeks. At least, I cruise on her starting June 24, 2018 and she'll be in Civitavecchia port for embarkation that day. Are you sailing transatlantic on her May 6?
No I'm actually on the Greek cruise from Civitavecchia on 17th June. Picked this cruise purely for the itinerary, but the ship looks fab from what I've seen and read so far!
#9
Arizona Desert
577 Posts
Joined May 2010
Ah ha. I was thrown off by the reference to St. Lucia!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
not taking vacations but collecting experiences!
#10
480 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
There’s also usually a “white night” where everyone (who planned ahead) wears white to dinner, and to all the after dinner shows and parties. I learned about it before going on my last cruise and thought it was funny to see all the people who wore white and looked like they knew ahead of time, I realized there are a lot of experienced cruisers (or cruise critic readers). I heard a lot of people who didn’t have anything white to wear say how disappointed they were not to have known about it and they felt left out. Others just didn’t care either way, but it was fun to see how many people did actually know about it and showed up to dinner in white.

Oh also- on sea days, sleep in. I get very little sleep on port days because I’m up extra early to go the gym, eat breakfast and be ready to go explore the island or meet a tour group when they open the doors. We stay out all day and play in the sun, then come back to the ship and try to take part in the activities on board, which means we go to bed really late, then start all over the next day. So, when there’s a sea day thrown in, we sleep in, sometimes almost past breakfast. We only had 1 sea day though, so we were extra tired.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#11
3,216 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by ARandomTraveler
There’s also usually a “white night” where everyone (who planned ahead) wears white to dinner, and to all the after dinner shows and parties. I learned about it before going on my last cruise and thought it was funny to see all the people who wore white and looked like they knew ahead of time, I realized there are a lot of experienced cruisers (or cruise critic readers). I heard a lot of people who didn’t have anything white to wear say how disappointed they were not to have known about it and they felt left out. Others just didn’t care either way, but it was fun to see how many people did actually know about it and showed up to dinner in white.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I don't think it is fair to say "who planned ahead" when the cruise line does not announce it in any way in advance.

Disney at least lets you know when it will be Pirate/Pixar night or Star Wars or Marvel Day so those who want can be prepared. If you don't read your pre-cruise material, that is your fault but it is in there.

I have yet to see any other line advertise a special event night like a "white night" so that new cruisers or new to the line cruisers can know and not feel like idiots. Because NOT everyone is on forums to learn from past cruisers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
beth
*~*~*~

Past Cruises ~ 4/1983 - SS Emerald Seas, Bahamas; 7/2013 - Disney Dream, Bahamas; 2/2014 - Disney Dream, Bahamas; 7/2014 - HAL ms Westerdam, Alaska; 2/2015 - Disney Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean; 7/2015 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Alaska; 7/2016 - RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, Mediterranean/Venice; 12/2016 - fathom Adonia, Cuba; 2/2017 - Disney Magic, Bahamas; 4/2017 - fathom Adonia, Cuba and Dominican Republic
Future Cruises ~ 7/2018 - Jewel of the Seas, Greek Isles; 8/2019 - Disney Wonder, Alaska
#12
480 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by WrittenOnYourHeart
I don't think it is fair to say "who planned ahead" when the cruise line does not announce it in any way in advance.

People can still plan ahead if they have knowledge about it. That’s why I said there were people who didn’t know about it who were disappointed they couldn’t plan ahead. I only knew to plan ahead because I read about it on cruise critic. Others may have planned ahead because they found out on a previous cruise. You can plan ahead if you know about it, despite the fact that the cruise doesn’t let people know before they sail (which is unfortunate, but might be intentional, who knows).



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#13
3,216 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by ARandomTraveler
People can still plan ahead if they have knowledge about it. That’s why I said there were people who didn’t know about it who were disappointed they couldn’t plan ahead. I only knew to plan ahead because I read about it on cruise critic. Others may have planned ahead because they found out on a previous cruise. You can plan ahead if you know about it, despite the fact that the cruise doesn’t let people know before they sail (which is unfortunate, but might be intentional, who knows).



Sent from my iPhone using Forums


Yes. But my point was that most cruiselines set up an insiders v. outsiders thing by NOT saying “There will be [insert special thing] night on your cruise” so that people who have not cruised before or who have not cruised a certain line before and who are not on forums or social media (and there are a lot) can feel included.

No one has to participate in the Disney Cruise Line special nights, but it’s not because DCL didn’t let them know it was going on.

RCCL the potential to feel left out and very outsider-y is there because they don’t advertise it so you DO have to be an insider to prepare.

I do like RCCL - at least Radiance Class - but they do create an insider/outsider atmosphere with the things like white nights.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
beth
*~*~*~

Past Cruises ~ 4/1983 - SS Emerald Seas, Bahamas; 7/2013 - Disney Dream, Bahamas; 2/2014 - Disney Dream, Bahamas; 7/2014 - HAL ms Westerdam, Alaska; 2/2015 - Disney Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean; 7/2015 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Alaska; 7/2016 - RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, Mediterranean/Venice; 12/2016 - fathom Adonia, Cuba; 2/2017 - Disney Magic, Bahamas; 4/2017 - fathom Adonia, Cuba and Dominican Republic
Future Cruises ~ 7/2018 - Jewel of the Seas, Greek Isles; 8/2019 - Disney Wonder, Alaska
#14
183 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I understand the outsider feeling. When I was on Symphony last week, the activities listed on the app was much more than what was listed on the cruise compass. I think it would be great if they instituted their own twitter like environment in the app, with a hashtags to indicate what's going on, what's trending, etc. Obviously I can't do everything, but I'd like to try to spend each moment doing the optimal activity for the time I do have.
To enhance my experience, I'll search out hashtags on instagram and other places to get a feel the ship and how it is. Of course, I'm one of those guys that thinks planning a cruise vacation is a pre-cruise excursion - I enjoy the heck out of it.