Best Place to Exchange Currency - best rate

I always find an ATM at the airport that is not associated with any of the well known currency exchange companies.

So an ATM that is part of a local Canadian bank will fill the bill.

I would agree best option is taking money out from a Canadian ATM belong to a major chartered bank. There is an HSBC Branch at the corner of Hasting and Barnard across the street and about a block up it should have ATM machines. There is also a CIBC across Hastings St. from the HSBC.

There are likely other ATM not attached to a bank brand that are closer. I would avoid the ones that are companies that just operate ATM machines. Go with RBC, BMO, CIBC, HSBC, ScotiaBank, TDBank, or VanCity,

Agree with both of the above re: cheapest rates for large sums (bank ATM) or small (VCBE).

NB: that credit cards are almost universally accepted here, and that many US currency exchange places and banks (anecdotally) refuse to take Canadian coinage if you have leftovers (since everything under $5 in Canada is coinage you'll accrue way more than in the US, so try to err on the low side for how much to exchange, unless you like collecting coins of course!)

Oh, and that HSBC is on Burrard not Barnard (I'm sure an auto-correct issue as em-sk definitely knows Vancouver well enough to know the major street names)

• 2 weeks later...
I usually go to Vancouver Boullion Exchange on Pender street. Better rates than the banks, close to port as well.

There's an old joke here that only makes sense for folks familiar with UK TV ads of the 80s - "Pea and ham, from a chicken!?" - related to exchanging flavours of boullion;-)

The currency exchange place of almost the same name was mentioned already by Earl R...