Best route with a hire car from Alesund

Hi all,

my wife and I are doing our 2nd Norwegian cruise at the end of June, this one focuses on the north cape (our last one did the south). We have organised all our ports except Alesund, which sounds like a gorgeous place. Based on what we have read we want to rent a car. We are in port 10am to 7pm, so assume we will have the car from 10.30 to approx 5. We obviously want to visit the Trolls Path and Troll Wall, how much more can we conceivably fit in?

As neither of our cruises has visited Geiranger is it possible for us to at least see the famous fjord on this road trip?

Appreciate any tips on routes and best way to map the appropriate route (google maps or are there better alternatives)?

appreciate any and all help!

James

Since it is a nice long drive with probably a lot of photostops it may fill your day. Of course you need to include the drive to Mt. Aksla in Alesund for a nice view over the town. We did the Trollstigen last summer with many stops. We picked up the car at 8.30 (got a nice upgrade!) and brought the car back around 5.30. Since our ships was leaving at 11 pm we were in no hurry but had done and seen enough for that day. Be aware on top of Trollstigen it can be windy and much cooler so bring a sweater.

I think including Geiranger is too much/impossible for that day unfortunately.

Search this board for older postings you will find a nice discussion about this which I had with another poster who gave a lot of information.

Indeed he and I used google maps. When driving clockwise you will have to go uphill at Trollstigen. We drove the other way, going down. It was one of the best days of our cruise.

I just noticed I saved the link with all that information route, times, kilometers etc. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2512295&highlight=Trollstigen

Start reading and you will know almost everything!

Perfect, thanks so much. I have since emailed the Tourist Info and they agreed that getting to Geiranger will be difficult to include (I need to do more research to see if we can at least get to a viewpoint of that famous fjord even if we don’t get to the town itself).

They recommended a loop drive, so I guess the question becomes which direction to do the loop?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you better forget about Geiranger. If you have a look at the route by google maps (as mentioned in the link I gave you ) you will see you need a ferry at a certain point. Of course that same ferry back again, I am afraid it will cost too much time for you.

Yes we did a loop to/from Alesund, again as mentioned on the posting/link before.

We choose the go downhill Trollstigen. Going up on a very steep hill with sharp curves makes more difficult.

Also tourbuses will drive this road and they make a drive on some points a bit more challenging.

I think you better forget about Geiranger. If you have a look at the route by google maps (as mentioned in the link I gave you ) you will see you need a ferry at a certain point. Of course that same ferry back again, I am afraid it will cost too much time for you.

Yes we did a loop to/from Alesund, again as mentioned on the posting/link before.

We choose the go downhill Trollstigen. Going up on a very steep hill with sharp curves makes more difficult.

Also tourbuses will drive this road and they make a drive on some points a bit more challenging.

Yes I think you are definitely right. I think we will also go the same direction.

Very exciting seeing the photos.

Did you rent via the website or contact the actual office? Online we are finding Hertz to be substantially lower than Avis, 690 v 830 nok

Yes I think you are definitely right. I think we will also go the same direction.

Very exciting seeing the photos.

Did you rent via the website or contact the actual office? Online we are finding Hertz to be substantially lower than Avis, 690 v 830 nok

We booked our car through the Avis website as their office was a 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal. I donot where the Hertz office is, better check the location at google maps.. . As you have read Avis closes at 4 but no problem bringing the car back later. They will tell you what to do. Close to their office is a gasstation to fill up the tank.