Farewell Monarch, March 29, 2013 (Part 2)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:57 PM.
Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Pumbaamd
Bob, this copy/paste is from the recent MJ dry dock thread: Originally posted by SelfCheckoutGuy I was hoping for the Ultimate Abyss, maybe a Flowrider, a zipline, bumber cars or iFly during dry dock. Now I have no idea where they would put any of these items, but it'd make Majesty pretty cool. And it's not my job to figure out where they would go.
I guess maybe we can just settle for parasailing off the back.
(For those in CruiseCritic that miss sarcasm, this post is full of it. I realize there is no possiblity for these items on Majesty, well except the parasailing, that'd be something I'd be interested in them investigating.) Kind of like the blimp they tested on Oasis. It didn't end well. 😱

And this is a reply to the above:
"I did notice the ugly rock wall is still there. What a shame."

Looks like the rock wall was in bad shape before the dry dock. Why wasn't it taken care of in dry dock? There has to be a bigger picture here. JD and Shane leaving, no Chops, party on Coco Cay still on?
Rick
Rick, all I can think of is that they decided late that Majesty was not long for the fleet. I know JD wanted Chops, maybe he got tired of them promising and then pulling the rug out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Ocala, Fl.
11,013 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Hello everyone, just getting back from a 4 nighter on the Norwegian Epic. She's a really nice ship, I was pleasantly surprised. "Never judge a book by its cover" definitely applies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises:

Royal Caribbean: 38, Carnival:24, Celebrity: 2, Norwegian: 2, Other Lines: 4

Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by DarthGrady
Hello everyone, just getting back from a 4 nighter on the Norwegian Epic. She's a really nice ship, I was pleasantly surprised. "Never judge a book by its cover" definitely applies.
Welcome back. I always read that the pool area is small for the size of the ship. Did you feel that way?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Ocala, Fl.
11,013 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Host Clarea
Welcome back. I always read that the pool area is small for the size of the ship. Did you feel that way?
I suppose if you don't count the private pool area for the Villas guests then yes, it would trail the similarly sized Freedom class ships. The Epic has two main pools, plus the one in the aft adult only "h2o Spice" area. Freedom has an extra one in the kids area, but Epic has the benefit of some water park quality slides.

That being said, especially with the 3 water slides factored in, it didn't seem any more crowded. The layout is really the biggest problem, it's very chopped up. There's so much stuff crammed in up there it seems like you're always having to twist and turn to avoid things. You also can't use the upper deck to avoid the pool crowd, since the upper sun decks don't actually connect to anything.

Epic also has the same problem as most ships in that the entire roof of the forward sections is wasted. There are chairs up there, but no pools or tubs. So no one really used it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises:

Royal Caribbean: 38, Carnival:24, Celebrity: 2, Norwegian: 2, Other Lines: 4

Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by DarthGrady
I suppose if you don't count the private pool area for the Villas guests then yes, it would trail the similarly sized Freedom class ships. The Epic has two main pools, plus the one in the aft adult only "h2o Spice" area. Freedom has an extra one in the kids area, but Epic has the benefit of some water park quality slides.

That being said, especially with the 3 water slides factored in, it didn't seem any more crowded. The layout is really the biggest problem, it's very chopped up. There's so much stuff crammed in up there it seems like you're always having to twist and turn to avoid things. You also can't use the upper deck to avoid the pool crowd, since the upper sun decks don't actually connect to anything.

Epic also has the same problem as most ships in that the entire roof of the forward sections is wasted. There are chairs up there, but no pools or tubs. So no one really used it.
Interesting, thanks Grady.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by DarthGrady
Photos of the Epic here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2608866
Nice photos Grady, that dining room thing looks out of this world!

Just back from two weeks on AD. Very nice cruises, I'll be sad to see her leave San Juan.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Ocala, Fl.
11,013 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Host Clarea
Nice photos Grady, that dining room thing looks out of this world!

Just back from two weeks on AD. Very nice cruises, I'll be sad to see her leave San Juan.
Yes it was, the whole ship was impressively modern. We just booked MSC Seaside for Halloween, so looking forward to exploring another new ship soon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises:

Royal Caribbean: 38, Carnival:24, Celebrity: 2, Norwegian: 2, Other Lines: 4

Northern Lower Michigan
12,132 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by DarthGrady
Yes it was, the whole ship was impressively modern. We just booked MSC Seaside for Halloween, so looking forward to exploring another new ship soon.
Seaside is appealing for me because of the loyalty match program. Even if I only book a mid level cabin, the perks beat RCI's.
Ocala, Fl.
11,013 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by wolfcathorse
Seaside is appealing for me because of the loyalty match program. Even if I only book a mid level cabin, the perks beat RCI's.
That's what appealed to us as well. Plus their pricing is very attractive. We got a balcony with the drink package for around $800 per person total!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises:

Royal Caribbean: 38, Carnival:24, Celebrity: 2, Norwegian: 2, Other Lines: 4

Ottawa, Illinois
4,518 Posts
Joined May 2009
Bob, I have a question. In the roll calls, sometimes I see an automated response that says the person is going to be on that cruise. How is this response generated? I am on a roll call where 3 of these occurred within 22 minutes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus

USS Saratoga CV-60 1974-1978

Upcoming cruises


Mariner of the Seas 8-24-18
Mariner of the Seas 8-27-18
Majesty of the Seas 10-29-18
Anthem of the Seas 12-6-18
NCL Star 02-15-19






43 Trips, the Empress of the Seas hasn't been added to the active list yet.
Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by hannibal54
Bob, I have a question. In the roll calls, sometimes I see an automated response that says the person is going to be on that cruise. How is this response generated? I am on a roll call where 3 of these occurred within 22 minutes.
People click on the "Find Your Roll Call" link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/. Then they select the cruise line, ship, click on the date, then click on "I'm Sailing".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
San Antonio, Texas
4,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Radiance cruise canceled. Totally devastated. Planned for 2 years. On a tour now (all day) and can't even do any rearranging til tomorrow.

Happy birthday to me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea
7/97 Carnival Jubilee - Mex Riviera

12/04 Empress of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
12/07 Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

4/08 Carnival Destiny - S. Caribbean
4/10 Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean
9/10 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

1/11 Ruby Princess - E. Caribbean Photos
2/11 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel Photos
8/11 Star Princess - E. Med/Greek Isles Photos
4/12 Jewel of the Seas - W. Caribbean
4/12 Caribbean Princess - S. Caribbean
3/13 Monarch of the Seas (farewell cruise) - Bahamas Photos
11/13 Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Jewel of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean Photos
4/15 Serenade of the Seas - Nola to Boston
10/15 Serenade of the Seas - Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

4/16 Regal Princess - W. Caribbean
5/16 Coral Princess - Alaska
2/17 Coral Princess - Panama Canal Photos

4/17 Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean

Next cruise(s)
5/2019 Celebrity Constellation - Europe

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Cruzin-K
Radiance cruise canceled. Totally devastated. Planned for 2 years. On a tour now (all day) and can't even do any rearranging til tomorrow.

Happy birthday to me
Very sorry to hear that Karen. Were you on the TP too?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
San Antonio, Texas
4,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
No, just the 11 night then had plans in Singapore

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea
7/97 Carnival Jubilee - Mex Riviera

12/04 Empress of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
12/07 Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

4/08 Carnival Destiny - S. Caribbean
4/10 Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean
9/10 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

1/11 Ruby Princess - E. Caribbean Photos
2/11 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel Photos
8/11 Star Princess - E. Med/Greek Isles Photos
4/12 Jewel of the Seas - W. Caribbean
4/12 Caribbean Princess - S. Caribbean
3/13 Monarch of the Seas (farewell cruise) - Bahamas Photos
11/13 Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Jewel of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean Photos
4/15 Serenade of the Seas - Nola to Boston
10/15 Serenade of the Seas - Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

4/16 Regal Princess - W. Caribbean
5/16 Coral Princess - Alaska
2/17 Coral Princess - Panama Canal Photos

4/17 Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean

Next cruise(s)
5/2019 Celebrity Constellation - Europe

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Ottawa, Illinois
4,518 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Cruzin-K
Radiance cruise canceled. Totally devastated. Planned for 2 years. On a tour now (all day) and can't even do any rearranging til tomorrow.

Happy birthday to me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That is terrible. Why was it cancelled?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus

USS Saratoga CV-60 1974-1978

Upcoming cruises


Mariner of the Seas 8-24-18
Mariner of the Seas 8-27-18
Majesty of the Seas 10-29-18
Anthem of the Seas 12-6-18
NCL Star 02-15-19






43 Trips, the Empress of the Seas hasn't been added to the active list yet.
Ottawa, Illinois
4,518 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Host Clarea
People click on the "Find Your Roll Call" link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/. Then they select the cruise line, ship, click on the date, then click on "I'm Sailing".
Thanks Bob, that answers my question. It seems like a lot of new people do that & you never hear back from them. They may not know how to get to the roll call.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus

USS Saratoga CV-60 1974-1978

Upcoming cruises


Mariner of the Seas 8-24-18
Mariner of the Seas 8-27-18
Majesty of the Seas 10-29-18
Anthem of the Seas 12-6-18
NCL Star 02-15-19






43 Trips, the Empress of the Seas hasn't been added to the active list yet.
San Antonio, Texas
4,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Bad azipod.

Haha. Autocorrect tried to change azipod to stupid. Fitting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea
7/97 Carnival Jubilee - Mex Riviera

12/04 Empress of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
12/07 Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

4/08 Carnival Destiny - S. Caribbean
4/10 Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean
9/10 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

1/11 Ruby Princess - E. Caribbean Photos
2/11 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel Photos
8/11 Star Princess - E. Med/Greek Isles Photos
4/12 Jewel of the Seas - W. Caribbean
4/12 Caribbean Princess - S. Caribbean
3/13 Monarch of the Seas (farewell cruise) - Bahamas Photos
11/13 Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Jewel of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean Photos
4/15 Serenade of the Seas - Nola to Boston
10/15 Serenade of the Seas - Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

4/16 Regal Princess - W. Caribbean
5/16 Coral Princess - Alaska
2/17 Coral Princess - Panama Canal Photos

4/17 Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean

Next cruise(s)
5/2019 Celebrity Constellation - Europe

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Cruzin-K
Bad azipod.

Haha. Autocorrect tried to change azipod to stupid. Fitting.
Guessing that they could have made your cruise with one azipod, but no way they would risk the TP with only one pod, so they had to cancel your cruise to get it fixed. What a huge disappointment. I hope you had your air with Air2Sea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Central Illinois
129,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by hannibal54
Thanks Bob, that answers my question. It seems like a lot of new people do that & you never hear back from them. They may not know how to get to the roll call.
I see the same thing, many times the people never come back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager