Hop on Hop Off - Advance Tickets? How crowded on ship days?

Cruising Boomer

We will be in Key West on April 16, 2018 on a cruise stop. Is it advisable to get advance tickets? On days with ships in port, how crowded is the HOHO? Is it really possible to use it to go from place to place? The reason I ask is that we had a bad experience with a HOHO in Reykjavik recently where it was really not possible to get off if you wanted any chance of getting back on without waiting for at least an hour.

Thanks.

Doug

The Old Town Trolley schedule page indicates that they have a trolley leaving every thirty minutes ---> https://www.trolleytours.com/key-west#schedule-section

The Conch train (with three stops) says the same ---> https://www.conchtourtrain.com/schedules-key-west-florida.html

I've noticed a half dozen of these getting ready to take on passengers at the intersection of Front and Duval and I've never noticed a line of people waiting to board.

The trolley is about 90 minutes long and the train, 60.

Pjk

The Old Town Trolley schedule page indicates that they have a trolley leaving every thirty minutes ---> https://www.trolleytours.com/key-west#schedule-section

The Conch train (with three stops) says the same ---> https://www.conchtourtrain.com/schedules-key-west-florida.html

I've noticed a half dozen of these getting ready to take on passengers at the intersection of Front and Duval and I've never noticed a line of people waiting to board.

The trolley is about 90 minutes long and the train, 60.

Pjk

Thanks so much!

Doug

Been on it multiple times. I've seen it when you can't get on and I've seen it empty. I would say, however, that the Old Town Trolley folks seem to take it pretty seriously getting another trolley over to crowded stops and not ruin your day.

The Conch Tour Train is not hop-on-hop off... the Old Town Trolley is. Both are run by the same company and both are highly professional and worth the $ if you want to learn about our great island and its history.

I really appreciate the great information from everyone.

Doug

The Conch Tour Train is not hop-on-hop off... the Old Town Trolley is. Both are run by the same company and both are highly professional and worth the $ if you want to learn about our great island and its history.

"

During the tour, the [Conch] train will make one loop through Old Town Key West. There are three stops- one is at Station Depot, allowing for a 10 minute rest break where you will find refreshments and shopping. Bring your ice cream and homemade fudge back on board to continue your tour. The second stop is at Truval Village, located at the corner of Duval Street and Truman Avenue. From Truval Village you are just minutes away from the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, the Key West Lighthouse, the Southernmost Point, the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory and the many fine art galleries, shops and restaurants of upper Duval Street. The third stop is at Flagler Station. The second stop is also where those who wish to can disembark to see the sights of the Historic Key West Seaport and choose to catch a later train.

Pjk

"

During the tour, the [Conch] train will make one loop through Old Town Key West. There are three stops- one is at Station Depot, allowing for a 10 minute rest break where you will find refreshments and shopping. Bring your ice cream and homemade fudge back on board to continue your tour. The second stop is at Truval Village, located at the corner of Duval Street and Truman Avenue. From Truval Village you are just minutes away from the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, the Key West Lighthouse, the Southernmost Point, the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory and the many fine art galleries, shops and restaurants of upper Duval Street. The third stop is at Flagler Station. The second stop is also where those who wish to can disembark to see the sights of the Historic Key West Seaport and choose to catch a later train.

Pjk

Thanks - any recommendations on the Conch train vs. the Old Town Trolley?

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Per my research on cruising threads and reviews....I have yet to try these...

Avoid Old Town Trolley. Too many people for the amount of trolleys they have. Too long of a wait.

Use City View Trolley (silver); staff wears yellow shirts...

We will be in Key West on April 16, 2018 on a cruise stop. Is it advisable to get advance tickets? On days with ships in port, how crowded is the HOHO? Is it really possible to use it to go from place to place? The reason I ask is that we had a bad experience with a HOHO in Reykjavik recently where it was really not possible to get off if you wanted any chance of getting back on without waiting for at least an hour.

Thanks.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...