Silver Muse - Bali - Singapore March 2019. Hari Raya Nyep (Day of Silence)

999andretired

********** IMPORTANT ***********

I have booked on the above cruise and as a result,

I have been doing some Bali research. I have found an issue that you should be aware of when planning joining the ship on the 8th March 2019.

The 7th March 2019 is Hari Raya Nyep (Day of Silence) in Bali. Everything shuts down INCLUDING THE AIRPORT, so no flights come in or out of Bali from 0600 - 0600. I have already booked my hotel on the 7th and when I enquired regarding this issue they strongly suggested I reviewed my travel arrangements for this date.

As a result I have advised Silversea in London, who were apparently unaware. Clearly, forarmed is forewarned, so when planning your travel you can either arrive in Bali on the 8th March (Emarkation day) which is taking a chance, or arrive earlier than the 7th. Silversea have promised to get back to me when the flight schedules become available.

At least you will have 12 months to plan around this event which is worth researching, as it makes interesting cultural reading.

https://www.indoneo.com/en/travel/th...ay-of-silence/

We have a house in Bali and I have stayed there during Hari Raya Nyepi many times. Silence is strictly enforced. We booked a plane flight a year in advance and later found that the flight was scheduled for the day of Nyepi. We were then informed by the airline that we could not board our plane from Sao Paulo - Doha - Denpasar as it was Nyepi. We ended up flying out of Sao Paulo via Sinapore and spending a night there before flying into Bali the next day. This shows that many companies don't take into consideration Nyepi. You will not be able to check in to an hotel on the day of Nyepi. In fact the ship could not dock on this day or off load passengers on this day. This year the government were even talking about shutting the internet off.

I would imagine that the cruise line will need to re-adjust it's itinerary. Good for you for ding your research. Also Nyepi falls on a different day each year according to religious rules (not sure what they are). It is actually the most wonderful time to visit Bali as the parade of the Ogor Ogor the day before is amazing. They parade monsters and beat drums to scare away the evil spirits and the next day is Nyepi a day of silence so the evil spirits think the island is deserted and therefore leave it alone.

Hi Clarky

Thank you for posting the detail and your experience around Hari Raya Nyep. Let’s hope Silversea finds a workaround. Some of their deals offer a pre and post hotel 1 night hotel stay. It seems they wont be able to facilitate that in Bali.:o