[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:06 AM.
Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Oh joy! Currently snowed in with a Red weather warning in force (Danger to life). At least I'm getting some more wear out of my Northern Lights cruise thermals! It's -10C unheard of in the UK usually.
Wow -10c is really cold for UK. Lucky you have your cruise thermals to keep warm. A lot of English people will be looking for warm weather holidays after the unseasonal snow melts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Irving TX
2,033 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
To Sharon - About your world cruise(s), from the inside out, do you think the w/c crowd sticks together as others of us come and go on the segments?

I noticed on my Africa to Fort Lauderdale cruise that there was a very large table in the back of the DR which seemed to be the standard seating for a group of W/cruisers.

One night, at my "large" table, a retired submarine captain joined us. He got into a lively argument with a Hollywood producer; I cannot remember the subject. But I do know that the sub captain was correct and gently refused to change his mind that 2+2= 4 instead of five. I wanted to visit with the captain but he was always thick with his w/cruise crowd and I was unable to connect again.

Thoughts?
Ruby
Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
QM2 has missed visiting Darwin today, because of Cyclone Marcus, which is tracking towards Darwin today. Cyclone shelters are open and all flights in to and out of Darwin have been cancelled. QM2 is heading to Bali. All those due to disembark and embark will have a lot of rescheduling to do today.

The Captain of Azamara Journey hopes to visit Darwin on Sunday, behind the Cyclone, just.

The joys of World Cruise routes during our Cyclone Season (November to April). We seem to be having more cyclones at the end of the Season recently.

BTW I follow several world cruise bloggers. One couple have been on 14 world cruises in a row, so naturally know a lot of crew and fellow frequent world cruisers well.

Saw it was 1 - 2 in London recently, so the cold weather continues. Guess you are no longer snowed in, Sharon. How has the winter weather been in Vancouver, Donald? I know a family who plan to spend Christmas in Vancouver. What is the weather usually like at Christmas?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
2,520 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
The normal high and low temperatures for December 25 in Vancouver are 5.7C (42F) and 0.4C (33F). Over the past several years, however, it has been cooler than usual. White Christmas? Very little chance of snow falling on that day ... maybe two or three times over the past ten years! It is either sunny, overcast or wet.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (65): Alaska (31), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (65): Celebrity (37), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Infinity 2018 June 3 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 August 5 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Kapricorn
The normal high and low temperatures for December 25 in Vancouver are 5.7C (42F) and 0.4C (33F). Over the past several years, however, it has been cooler than usual. White Christmas? Very little chance of snow falling on that day ... maybe two or three times over the past ten years! It is either sunny, overcast or wet.
Donald.
Thanks Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by MMDown Under
QM2 has missed visiting Darwin today, because of Cyclone Marcus, which is tracking towards Darwin today. Cyclone shelters are open and all flights in to and out of Darwin have been cancelled. QM2 is heading to Bali. All those due to disembark and embark will have a lot of rescheduling to do today.

The Captain of Azamara Journey hopes to visit Darwin on Sunday, behind the Cyclone, just.

The joys of World Cruise routes during our Cyclone Season (November to April). We seem to be having more cyclones at the end of the Season recently.
Later -
QM2 is heading direct to Singapore, not stopping in Bali - 9 sea days from Airlie Beach. (Reasons given are Immigration Officials couldn't get on board in Darwin and Bali has Religious holidays.)

Azamara Journey was able to stop in Darwin on Sunday.

Cyclone Marcus, which left property damage, trees and powerlines down, and local flooding, is now over the Kimberleys in Western Australia. There is a possibility of another cyclone forming.

Australia now has bushfires in Victoria and New South Wales, with loss of property, houses, animals, etc.

Sydney was 40c yesterday.

Australia is a land of extremes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,033 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Such ghastly weather in Oz! Do some people still claim that there is no global warming?

About the new ship, the Symphony, soon to take to global waters as the world's largest cruise ship. I was reading the article about this monster, turned the page, and saw a photo of it. OMG! Between the pax and the crew, there will be close to 10,000 people onboard at a given time. And I took great interest in Donald's photo of the new bow designed for cruise ships. It was one of the ugliest things I've seen in recent years.

Thanks to Conte, at least I am safe from current maritime reality. Silversea is my brand and I hope to never sail on a ship with more than 700 pax.

I know, I know, "dinosaur" here. Y'all go ahead and sample the new ships; I'll enjoy my steerage "suite" on Silversea and never look back.

Ruby

Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Saga Ruby
Such ghastly weather in Oz! Do some people still claim that there is no global warming?
About the new ship, the Symphony, soon to take to global waters as the world's largest cruise ship. I was reading the article about this monster, turned the page, and saw a photo of it. OMG! Between the pax and the crew, there will be close to 10,000 people onboard at a given time. And I took great interest in Donald's photo of the new bow designed for cruise ships. It was one of the ugliest things I've seen in recent years.
Thanks to Conte, at least I am safe from current maritime reality. Silversea is my brand and I hope to never sail on a ship with more than 700 pax.
I know, I know, "dinosaur" here. Y'all go ahead and sample the new ships; I'll enjoy my steerage "suite" on Silversea and never look back.
Ruby
I don't like big ships either, Ruby. I loved both Azamara Journey and Ocean Princess (same ship design), with under 700 passengers.

Cyclones and Flooding in the north, bushfires in the south. Authorities have announced 70 properties destroyed by fire at Tathra, near Bega, NSW. 17 properties have been destroyed by fire in rural Victoria.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Wishing everyone a happy Easter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,033 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Wishing everyone a happy Easter.
Thank you, Marion, and the same to you and yours. I hope you find all your Easter eggs. Do y'all have Easter egg hunts Down Under?
My daughter has a friend who just got back from Oz; I asked if I could get a copy of her itinerary and she will provide it soon. Should be interesting.
Digression - the format of this website seems to have changed. A bit awkward, if you ask me. Fonts have to be reset, spacing is different. [heavy sigh] It's an imperfect world.
Ruby
Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Thank you, Marion, and the same to you and yours. I hope you find all your Easter eggs. Do y'all have Easter egg hunts Down Under?
My daughter has a friend who just got back from Oz; I asked if I could get a copy of her itinerary and she will provide it soon. Should be interesting.
Digression - the format of this website seems to have changed. A bit awkward, if you ask me. Fonts have to be reset, spacing is different. [heavy sigh] It's an imperfect world.
Ruby
We do have Easter Egg hunts, but it is not as common as in the US.

That will be enjoyable to see your daughter's friend's itinerary for her Australian trip, as you have visited here yourself. I think that is why I enjoy following the world cruise blogs so much, as so many of the ports are familiar to me and I enjoy reading other people's experiences. I also enjoy watching US Morning news TV.

My friend in NY has had four blizzards and is well and truly over the snow. We are over cyclones in the north, flooding and heavy rain.

Haven't noticed any changes, but Aus site may be different.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Is anyone following the Commonwealth Games at the Gold Coast? We have been enjoying attending the hockey live and watching the other sports on TV. There is also an excellent free entertainment program. Great atmosphere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

2,520 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Is anyone following the Commonwealth Games at the Gold Coast? We have been enjoying attending the hockey live and watching the other sports on TV. There is also an excellent free entertainment program. Great atmosphere.
Vancouver TV has not carried anything about the Commonwealth Games, and the Vancouver Sun newspaper reports on just some of the achievements by Canadian athletes. There are no daily updates in the sports section about the competitions. That is really shocking.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (65): Alaska (31), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (65): Celebrity (37), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Infinity 2018 June 3 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 August 5 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Kapricorn
Vancouver TV has not carried anything about the Commonwealth Games, and the Vancouver Sun newspaper reports on just some of the achievements by Canadian athletes. There are no daily updates in the sports section about the competitions. That is really shocking.
Donald.
That is disappointing, as I know Canada is a great sporting nation, like Australia. I love the way all the Commonwealth countries, big and small, come together to compete. Aussies love a good unexpected under dog story, when the little guy wins, and we've had a few of those.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

West Country, UK
4,355 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
To Sharon - About your world cruise(s), from the inside out, do you think the w/c crowd sticks together as others of us come and go on the segments?

I noticed on my Africa to Fort Lauderdale cruise that there was a very large table in the back of the DR which seemed to be the standard seating for a group of W/cruisers.

One night, at my "large" table, a retired submarine captain joined us. He got into a lively argument with a Hollywood producer; I cannot remember the subject. But I do know that the sub captain was correct and gently refused to change his mind that 2+2= 4 instead of five. I wanted to visit with the captain but he was always thick with his w/cruise crowd and I was unable to connect again.

Thoughts?
Ruby
I think it depends on the line Ruby. On Aurora, aside from a few special coffee mornings and lunches, we never really all got together and our dining companions changed along the way too, so no, not on the one I did, but on say Cunard, they set aside a lounge specifically for full world cruisers so they probably stick together more. We'll see what Arcadia is like next year!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas, Botel Holland, Filia Rheni II
Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Marco Polo

To come:-
Oriana - Iceland & Greenland July 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

Arcadia World Cruise 2019

>
West Country, UK
4,355 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Back from my Saga river cruise - thoughts here.
http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.co.uk/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas, Botel Holland, Filia Rheni II
Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Marco Polo

>
Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Back from my Saga river cruise - thoughts here.
http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.co.uk/
Thank for your latest review on your Saga river cruise, Sharon. Sorry to hear you are walking with a crutch. Is that because of your previous problems? I don't think a lot of people understand that you have to walk across other river boats to get to shore, on occasions. I can understand that would be difficult for you walking with a crutch. I always like to have a rail to hold on to, especially going up and down stairs.

During the Commonwealth Games, There is a great atmosphere, at the Coast, with free entertainment, as well as a wide variety of sports to attend.

I'm going to the Women's Hockey Final today (Aus vs NZ). England will play India for the Bronze Medal. I was lucky to get a single ticket in the ballot.

Tomorrow, the marathon goes past the end of our street, which is handy for being close to the excitement.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

West Country, UK
4,355 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Enjoy the Games Marion.

Yes, between my arthritic left knee (but not yet bad enough for full replacement) and ongoing right lower back nerve pain, I can't walk unsupported and find a crutch easier than a stick. Physio on my knee is not helping my back!!

I could easily walk through other boats, it was the very steep angle that defeated me, especially with only loose rope to hang onto.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:
Ships visited:

>
Irving TX
2,033 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
To Sharon and Marion

It is so interesting to read your stories about river cruising. And, Sharon, thanks for your usual informative photos and narrative.

I think it was Conte who wrote about bad weather and river cruises. It was a story about the river water volume being so high that a ship got tossed up into a small town square. As I did my research, it seemed that the word "bus" was used quite a lot for getting pax from port to port, town to town. I do not want to cruise on a bus tour.

Due to climate change, I decided not to sign up for a river boat cruise. In the ensuing years, I have had no reason to regret this decision as I read the weather reports in the paper and also the comments from Sharon about lousy weather in the UK which seemed to worsen.

I dunno - maybe I missed something but the idea of clinging on to ropes to disembark to a bus in yet another quaint village put Paid to my plans.

Ruby

Gold Coast
10,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
To Sharon and Marion
It is so interesting to read your stories about river cruising. And, Sharon, thanks for your usual informative photos and narrative.
I think it was Conte who wrote about bad weather and river cruises. It was a story about the river water volume being so high that a ship got tossed up into a small town square. As I did my research, it seemed that the word "bus" was used quite a lot for getting pax from port to port, town to town. I do not want to cruise on a bus tour.
Due to climate change, I decided not to sign up for a river boat cruise. In the ensuing years, I have had no reason to regret this decision as I read the weather reports in the paper and also the comments from Sharon about lousy weather in the UK which seemed to worsen.
I dunno - maybe I missed something but the idea of clinging on to ropes to disembark to a bus in yet another quaint village put Paid to my plans.
Ruby

Ruby - Agree current river water levels need to be investigated before deciding to take a river cruise.

Scenic Cruises lost a class action against its decision to not cancel its river cruises during European river floods. Scenic passengers felt forced to continue with their river cruise travel plans, because insurance would not cover passengers costs, unless Scenic Cruises cancelled its cruises. Other river cruise companies cancelled their cruises or changed the planned routes, where possible. Scenic passengers were forced to take long bus trips and stay in basic hotels. A river cruise with Scenic is expensive. Interesting court decision against Scenic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion