Ketchikan Dungeness Crab late June

Dev'sMom

Hi all,

I'm trying to narrow down a place in Ketchikan to have Dungeness crab in late June. I'm having trouble deciding--which place would be best for dinner (our ship departs Ketchikan at 7pm), won't have a very long wait, and has actual tables to sit at without feeling over-crowded? Here's what I've gleaned from reviews so far:

--Dwyer's

--Alaska Fish House

--George Inlet Lodge

Which one do you think? We don't have any excursions scheduled yet. My 8yo son definitely wants to see the Lumberjack Show and we would like to go to Totem Heritage Center or Totem Bight. All between 11am-7pm. Prefer a crab dinner vs lunch just to not be walking around after overeating at lunch!

I see in other threads that Vancouver, where our cruise will end, also has Dungeness available, but I don't want to purposely wait till then, just in case something prevents us from dining out that last night of our vacation (eg, fatigue).

Oh p.s. I'd like to have a little time to shop in Ketchikan as well, or at least check out Creek St.

Edited by Dev'sMom
added shopping

Last July we enjoyed a wonderful dungeness crab dinner at Annabelles in Ketchikan. All seating is inside, and a short walk to the cruise ship berths. However, they are very popular so don't expect just to show up without reservations and be seated immediately.

Given what your family would like to do you might consider browsing through Creek Street and then take the funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge. From walk to the Totem Heritage Center. An eight year old will find the funicular unique and fun.

Hi all' date='

I'm trying to narrow down a place in Ketchikan to have Dungeness crab in late June. I'm having trouble deciding--which place would be best for dinner (our ship departs Ketchikan at 7pm), won't have a very long wait, and has actual tables to sit at without feeling over-crowded? Here's what I've gleaned from reviews so far:

--Dwyer's

--Alaska Fish House

--George Inlet Lodge

Which one do you think? We don't have any excursions scheduled yet. My 8yo son definitely wants to see the Lumberjack Show and we would like to go to Totem Heritage Center or Totem Bight. All between 11am-7pm. Prefer a crab dinner vs lunch just to not be walking around after overeating at lunch!

I see in other threads that Vancouver, where our cruise will end, also has Dungeness available, but I don't want to purposely wait till then, just in case something prevents us from dining out that last night of our vacation (eg, fatigue).

Oh p.s. I'd like to have a little time to shop in Ketchikan as well, or at least check out Creek St.[/quote']

I visited George Inlet Lodge in May 2016, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We did it in conjunction with a flightseeing tour. I booked just the lodge for my upcoming trip because I loved it so much. Let me know if you have any specific questions or need photos.

- Alaina

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! I see in the cruise port schedule that our ship (Noordam) will be in Berth 4, furthest from the main Ketchikan tourist hub. We've decided for this time (plan to go back!), we will have lunch right away after the ship docks, at Annabelle's or Alaska Fish House, unless someone can recommend a good place for crab near berth 4. Then we'll continue to make our way toward the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, and Creek Street, Funicular/Cape Fox Lodge, plus Totem Heritage Center. Viewing Totems along the way, and getting a little shopping in. Then around 4 we'll make our way back to the docks for the 5pm Lumberjack showing. Which will be done in time for us to get back onto the ship. Our port time is 11am-6pm.

Next time, George Inlet!

Edited by Dev'sMom
we'll do this all on foot
  • Like 1

There is a free downtown shuttle bus that stops at Berth 4....

I thought so too, but then I saw the attachment on this page:

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=36

which if I'm reading correct, says there's no free shuttle as of Oct 1, 2017. Unless they are referring to ending it just for the 2017 season, to resume this year?

Hi all' date='

--Dwyer's

--Alaska Fish House

--George Inlet Lodge

Oh p.s. I'd like to have a little time to shop in Ketchikan as well, or at least check out Creek St.[/quote']

If the ship docks at 11:00 and departs at 7:00, you really have between 11:30 to 6:30 which is 6 1/2 hours and that is pushing it. The lumberjack show, Totem Bight and a sit down dinner is a lot to do it 6 1/2 hours. I think that you will have to forego shopping and Creek St.

Just remember, you will be w an 8 year old child who might get cranky if he is rushed from one place to another.

DON

I ate Dungeness crab at the Alaska Fish House. We were there for lunch. At this place, you order your food at a counter just inside the door and they give you a number to put on your table. Then you walk a little farther and order your drinks from a bar. After that, you find a table and wait for your food to be delivered. I think we walked right in and found an empty table to sit at.

I thought so too' date=' but then I saw the attachment on this page:

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=36

which if I'm reading correct, says there's no free shuttle as of Oct 1, 2017. Unless they are referring to ending it just for the 2017 season, to resume this year?[/quote']

Yes, it’s seasonal and only runs during cruise ship season.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, it’s seasonal and only runs during cruise ship season.

Thanks, I was worried that it was permanently discontinued. I like the convenience of it, since Noordam will dock at Berth 4. Will give us a walking break if we need it!

If the ship docks at 11:00 and departs at 7:00, you really have between 11:30 to 6:30 which is 6 1/2 hours and that is pushing it. The lumberjack show, Totem Bight and a sit down dinner is a lot to do it 6 1/2 hours. I think that you will have to forego shopping and Creek St.

Just remember, you will be w an 8 year old child who might get cranky if he is rushed from one place to another.

DON

we're sticking with Totems closer to downtown this trip (eg, Heritage Center). Should allow for time for Creek St. shopping (which we can adjust the amount of time doing on the fly) and 4:45 lumberjack show back at the docks. We'll have a crab lunch instead of dinner. And it's my husband who's more likely to get cranky when running around without a nap :D

I ate Dungeness crab at the Alaska Fish House. We were there for lunch. At this place, you order your food at a counter just inside the door and they give you a number to put on your table. Then you walk a little farther and order your drinks from a bar. After that, you find a table and wait for your food to be delivered. I think we walked right in and found an empty table to sit at.

I think that's where we'll aim to have lunch immediately after our ship docks! Thanks for sharing!:)

• 2 months later...

Hello all. I was hoping to post a review in early July about our Alaska trip and my new camera. Unfortunately we couldn't go. I was diagnosed cancer in mid-June. I'm in the midst of chemotherapy now. I'm praying to be able to beat this terrible disease quickly. And re-book for 2020. I feel most terrible for my young son. I need to be here for him as he grows up. There's so much more I want to do with him. I'm praying to have many more quality years with him. He and I are best friends. Everything I do is either directly or indirectly for him. I can't even look at the camera right now. Once I get some good news about my health, I will feel comfortable planning again and learning the camera to capture the all-important memories with my son. I'm struggling emotionally for him as much as I am physically.

p.s. I'm re-posting this in my other longer threads where I got helpful replies to my questions, where I intended to report back.