Princess Cruise Tour Machu Picchu

Angelakimg

We did this tour pre cruise in 2016 and would highly recommend it. It was very well organized and the tour guides were very good. The accommodations also were first rate. Tickets for flights, trains, events were all taken care of in the cost. We had about a two over layover in the Lima airport on our way to Santiago and they gave us access to the airport lounge with a voucher for food and drinks.

While many will say you can do it for less on your own, I would probably do it with Princess again in a heart beat.

• Like 1

We did this tour pre cruise in 2016 and would highly recommend it. It was very well organized and the tour guides were very good. The accommodations also were first rate. Tickets for flights, trains, events were all taken care of in the cost. We had about a two over layover in the Lima airport on our way to Santiago and they gave us access to the airport lounge with a voucher for food and drinks.

While many will say you can do it for less on your own, I would probably do it with Princess again in a heart beat.

On a cruise in 2016, several did this as a three day tour along side a Princess tour. On the second flight out back to the ship, there was a bird strike on the engine and the jet had to abort. Airport was shut down for over 24 hours I believe.

Bottom line, Princess tour people were put up in 4 star hotels, fed, and flown a few days later to meet up with the ship. All paid for by Princess They were also were given several hundred dollars back.

Those doing it on their own had initially saved 6 to 8 hundred, but had to pay for their flight, food and hotels to catch up with the ship. Princess did help them find all their reservations and flights, and actually put some of them on the Princess chartered bus for 6 hours to meet up with the ship, but the hotel costs, food, and flights completely sucked up their savings and then some.

On a cruise in 2016, several did this as a three day tour along side a Princess tour. On the second flight out back to the ship, there was a bird strike on the engine and the jet had to abort. Airport was shut down for over 24 hours I believe.

Bottom line, Princess tour people were put up in 4 star hotels, fed, and flown a few days later to meet up with the ship. All paid for by Princess They were also were given several hundred dollars back.

Those doing it on their own had initially saved 6 to 8 hundred, but had to pay for their flight, food and hotels to catch up with the ship. Princess did help them find all their reservations and flights, and actually put some of them on the Princess chartered bus for 6 hours to meet up with the ship, but the hotel costs, food, and flights completely sucked up their savings and then some.

Yes, that was the same cruise we were on. We were so glad we did the 6 day pre-cruise trip and not the 3 day excursion. We actually made a special stop in ecuador to pick them up. I believe those on their own didn’t meet up with us till costa rica days later. We were not alowed to get off the ship, but we were all on our balconies watching the group arrive. The captain and other officers were on the dock to greet them. Others were there to take their bags and they had trays of cocktails and other drinks for them. We all cheered.

Yes, that was the same cruise we were on. We were so glad we did the 6 day pre-cruise trip and not the 3 day excursion. We actually made a special stop in ecuador to pick them up. I believe those on their own didn’t meet up with us till costa rica days later. We were not alowed to get off the ship, but we were all on our balconies watching the group arrive. The captain and other officers were on the dock to greet them. Others were there to take their bags and they had trays of cocktails and other drinks for them. We all cheered.

Yep, that was the one. Princess did a great job. One of our table mates was on that, and we got the updates from his wife a few times a day. The group meeting us in Costa Rica (5 of them if I remember right) I think used their insurance to put together a 4 night stay there. I heard Princess was trying to help them get back on in Ecuador, but they insisted on going to Costa Rica.

Here is a picture of the welcoming committee as the bus was pulling up. Only have video of when they got off the buss. You can see the trays of tropical drinks.

A2Eg6I90wo2PnF5LdpxYvBqGzY6O9SHzJqrMSugva5yWd0hfDwnnEGeMWoCZEu9ztc1zVJCzfIU6efgg2L1TWFKmviBCOxG4SbKE3ujVBuQaLsPpUv1Aiv5Awh1o_vPj7Ql9pUEU2VfWV0v0znGiZqORQ3TBJCY3yLBo9HQvJUV4JZnJ-BI2c0PtiDkJmm8hUi4I31EVaQsqDQsepXJ141Z5Saxpid6UAK4EITT7qCZi4MMH9yf8zlyDLym9dUKXDRif-CqaYaBU7eRJEujF3ObEKy36AyBZN6mtuB_WM7JPOGYwaaNQVu8-KxC6f9Dlm2zJLJa7np8WP3jKdpgsSA3zplwi-0vImJILMlN2cDWtZR3FTla7T73tAkM7GXdLP7awWxehC-A8i9CIfq977ZK4PeVCv3NZdzt1xIsiK6UDOnDLqpnW2XAaqd7OZCLoGJKli5ObawIKERlWfH9f5IlHZFAcm2aMfEPSOmrAJzNa7HSFmJkVTuyNCGzYTH7xyiPIT5P4vH56YmRp9BVDyxs1JemxWtG2DEythhz08aj53_3pY7ZDvYzRMuN3kuibYkBLicMaBb69B9jYfzETudHOI-xb9UAWSIWv-VQfJDfh_xBQnVCuQonE0XUeEr1xeUFsK8LJ8wzRqKbluo-sPXsfG3xG-r6S=w1024-h683-no

On that trip there were three groups doing it on their own. Two, along with the Princess group rejoined the ship in Manta. The ship initially waited at Lima, once it became clear that the airport was not going to open in time for the Princess tour group to make it to Lima, the ship left. The ship then made an unscheduled stop in Manta Ecuador. The Princess tour group boarded their. In addition there was a group of four that booked their independent tour with American Express. They also boarded in Manta, as did a couple who was also doing the tour independently.

The remaining group, a group of CC participants that jointly organized a tour using a local company, was not able to join the ship until the next scheduled stop in Costa Rica. So they not only had to pick up the travel expenses for a few more days, had to travel farther, but missed more shipboard time.

I remember prior to the cruise a post from one of the participants " what can go wrong we are on the same plane as the Princess tour.

On that trip there were three groups doing it on their own. Two, along with the Princess group rejoined the ship in Manta. The ship initially waited at Lima, once it became clear that the airport was not going to open in time for the Princess tour group to make it to Lima, the ship left. The ship then made an unscheduled stop in Manta Ecuador. The Princess tour group boarded their. In addition there was a group of four that booked their independent tour with American Express. They also boarded in Manta, as did a couple who was also doing the tour independently.

The remaining group, a group of CC participants that jointly organized a tour using a local company, was not able to join the ship until the next scheduled stop in Costa Rica. So they not only had to pick up the travel expenses for a few more days, had to travel farther, but missed more shipboard time.

I remember prior to the cruise a post from one of the participants " what can go wrong we are on the same plane as the Princess tour.

Thanks for filling in a bit of unknown. I was still a CC newbie for the 2016 cruise.

As for the group going to Coasta Rica, I had heard there wasn't room, but also heard they wanted to do Costa Rica. I could be wrong as I was getting it 3rd hand. (OK Frank, your turn here!)

Yep, that was the one. Princess did a great job. One of our table mates was on that, and we got the updates from his wife a few times a day. The group meeting us in Costa Rica (5 of them if I remember right) I think used their insurance to put together a 4 night stay there. I heard Princess was trying to help them get back on in Ecuador, but they insisted on going to Costa Rica.

Here is a picture of the welcoming committee as the bus was pulling up. Only have video of when they got off the buss. You can see the trays of tropical drinks.

A2Eg6I90wo2PnF5LdpxYvBqGzY6O9SHzJqrMSugva5yWd0hfDwnnEGeMWoCZEu9ztc1zVJCzfIU6efgg2L1TWFKmviBCOxG4SbKE3ujVBuQaLsPpUv1Aiv5Awh1o_vPj7Ql9pUEU2VfWV0v0znGiZqORQ3TBJCY3yLBo9HQvJUV4JZnJ-BI2c0PtiDkJmm8hUi4I31EVaQsqDQsepXJ141Z5Saxpid6UAK4EITT7qCZi4MMH9yf8zlyDLym9dUKXDRif-CqaYaBU7eRJEujF3ObEKy36AyBZN6mtuB_WM7JPOGYwaaNQVu8-KxC6f9Dlm2zJLJa7np8WP3jKdpgsSA3zplwi-0vImJILMlN2cDWtZR3FTla7T73tAkM7GXdLP7awWxehC-A8i9CIfq977ZK4PeVCv3NZdzt1xIsiK6UDOnDLqpnW2XAaqd7OZCLoGJKli5ObawIKERlWfH9f5IlHZFAcm2aMfEPSOmrAJzNa7HSFmJkVTuyNCGzYTH7xyiPIT5P4vH56YmRp9BVDyxs1JemxWtG2DEythhz08aj53_3pY7ZDvYzRMuN3kuibYkBLicMaBb69B9jYfzETudHOI-xb9UAWSIWv-VQfJDfh_xBQnVCuQonE0XUeEr1xeUFsK8LJ8wzRqKbluo-sPXsfG3xG-r6S=w1024-h683-no

My understanding from talking with some folks that there was at least 12 that did not reboard until Costa Rica. Trying to remember the local company they booked with. But apparently the problem was that they could not get there, due to limited space. The story I got from one of them was that the company did a good job trying to help them, but they ran into a problem getting tickets to get them to Ecuador on top (the Princess tour got the tickets and not seats were left), so they ended up having to go to Costa Rica.

The 4 traveling together via American Express indicated that AE did an excellent job making arrangements. Never did hear about the couple doing it independently but they pulled up in a taxi about an hour before the Princess bus pulled in.

My understanding from talking with some folks that there was at least 12 that did not reboard until Costa Rica. Trying to remember the local company they booked with. But apparently the problem was that they could not get there, due to limited space. The story I got from one of them was that the company did a good job trying to help them, but they ran into a problem getting tickets to get them to Ecuador on top (the Princess tour got the tickets and not seats were left), so they ended up having to go to Costa Rica.

The 4 traveling together via American Express indicated that AE did an excellent job making arrangements. Never did hear about the couple doing it independently but they pulled up in a taxi about an hour before the Princess bus pulled in.

Thanks for the info. Much more complete than our tablemate's.

Missed the taxi or just don't remember. Put money on the latter.

As for the tour itself, the tablemate highly recommended it and was highly complimentary of the job Princess did. We also heard the home office had a team assigned to help make the arrangements there.

Actually you mean "cuy"(koo-ee).;):D
Whatever they are called,they were revolting.I was a London plumber,so can pretty much eat anything.Perhaps they are better barbequed,not baked down a hole in the ground,lol.

How much of Machu Piccu were you able to see? Should you go a day early for the land tour if you are doing it first?

We were able to see all of what is inside the park which is what most pictures depict and what most people expect to see. We did not go on the inca trails outside the park. Google a map of Machu Piccu and you will get a good idea. We had about 4-5 hrs in the park itself (with the guide or on your own if you wanted). The tour also included an overnight in Macchu Piccu town (Aguas Caliente) and those that wished to were able to return with the guides in the morning and hike a couple of the trails (one hike was to the “inca bridge” the other to the “sun gate”). They have since changed the rules for access into the park so I don’t know if they still do this.

The pre-cruise land tour starts in Lima with an overnight there before they fly you to Cuzco so technically you are going a day early.