Gondola fears - rational or not?

KentuckyKat

I have tentatively booked an evening gondola excursion in Venice for my daughter and I on the first evening of a Viking cruise. I know we are overpaying, but as two novices I really don't care as long as someone tells us where to go and what to do. So here are my fears: (1) will I get sea sick? I don't get sea sick on cruise ships but sometimes on tender boats and other small watercraft. I'd hate to get sick or embarrass my teenage daughter on the first evening of our trip. But we will have just arrived from the US that afternoon, so I'll probably be pretty medicated from the flight anyway (bonine, sea bands...) ;); (2) is it really cold on the water after dark this time of year? The ride starts around 8:00 pm at the end of March. Oh my gosh ... That's like one week from now! :o:eek:;p Any (and all) advice appreciated!

The canals are the streets. The rides are just as smooth as walking on the street. Other than the grand canal, about all the others are narrow. It will be just as cold on the gondola as on the sidewalks. Rain would be unpleasant.

You will not get sea sick.

Relax. Enjoy.

I have tentatively booked an evening gondola excursion in Venice for my daughter and I on the first evening of a Viking cruise. I know we are overpaying, but as two novices I really don't care as long as someone tells us where to go and what to do. So here are my fears: (1) will I get sea sick? I don't get sea sick on cruise ships but sometimes on tender boats and other small watercraft. I'd hate to get sick or embarrass my teenage daughter on the first evening of our trip. But we will have just arrived from the US that afternoon, so I'll probably be pretty medicated from the flight anyway (bonine, sea bands...) ;); (2) is it really cold on the water after dark this time of year? The ride starts around 8:00 pm at the end of March. Oh my gosh ... That's like one week from now! :o:eek:;p Any (and all) advice appreciated!

You are not gonna get sea sick because you are not in open sea ,you are in canals . I don't really know why would you book excursion ,gondola ride 80 euro per gondola and you can not miss them, its everywhere .

You are not gonna get sea sick because you are not in open sea ,you are in canals . I don't really know why would you book excursion ,gondola ride 80 euro per gondola and you can not miss them, its everywhere .

That is quite true. No need to book ahead of time. Why not wait until you get there and book on the spot? It could be too cold or rainy, or whatever. But, again, you will not get seasick.

I have not ridden in a gondola, so take this for what it's worth. But I've been to Venice several times, most recently in November. There was a LOT of traffic on the major canals, even at that season. So while the water itself may be inherently calm, the passing traffic can definitely have an effect on your experience (e.g., the wake from vaporetti and passing motoscafi). We saw some gondolas really bobbing around in the water, and some gondoliers expending great effort to stay upright!

I would recommend that you stay off any of the major canal "thoroughfares" during your ride if you are truly concerned about seasickness.

Will they let you cancel the excursion? If so, I would consider that and then just hire a gondola whenever you want. The advantage is you could tell the gondolier you want calm water and they may just avoid the grand canal, and stick to the smaller canals. I would worry with the excursion they may pair you up with strangers - put 4 in the gondola and your boat mates may want to see the grand canal. If the excursion is just the two of you in a gondola then I would still ask the gondolier to stick to calm waters. .. have fun....

Rational fears? NOT! Rough water will not be an issue...and its all fun. If it is chilly make sure your gondolier has a nice wool blanket which you can use to keep warm. Personally, when we want to take a gondola we first stop at a shop that sells wine, buy a nice bottle of an Italian red, have them pull the cork, and also buy a couple of plastic wine glasses (everywhere that sells wine has those plastic cups). Once settled in our Gondola, we sip wine and totally enjoy the experience.

What is rational is the fear of the cost :). Gondolas do not come cheap and most will want around 90€ for a trip...and some will try to cut that trip short. If its a nice evening you will probably have to pay around 80 - 100 € (that is for the entire gondola that can easily hold 4....and squeeze in up to 6). And you should get about a 40 min ride. Considering that a couple can get their own gondola for abut 45€ per person....if you are booking a tour that costs more....you might want to reconsider. Also be warned that many cruise line gondola tours will cram up to 6 in the gondola. Personally, DW and I prefer to do it ourselves and be by ourselves. It is really romantic.

Hank

I wanted to add you can easily do this on your own if you would like.

However the key is as part of negotiating the price you need to confirm the length of the ride and where you are going such as the Grand Canal.

However if you do not feel comfortable doing this, just go with the ships tour.

It is a lovely experience.

Keith

I wanted to add you can easily do this on your own if you would like.

However the key is as part of negotiating the price you need to confirm the length of the ride and where you are going such as the Grand Canal.

However if you do not feel comfortable doing this, just go with the ships tour.

It is a lovely experience.

Keith

We will be in Venice on a Viking Ocean cruise and really want to do a gondola ride!! (After all- it’s Venice- you’ve got t) But on our own.... and how does that work?

Are there “ gondola “ areas that you go to? Are there varying prices depending on the gondola “driver”so you negotiate?

Do the gondolas also run during the day so we would have an option of a day or night ride?

The price on the ship is so ridiculous that we want to do it on our own.

Thank you Keith!

We will be in Venice on a Viking Ocean cruise and really want to do a gondola ride!! (After all- it’s Venice- you’ve got t) But on our own.... and how does that work?

Are there “ gondola “ areas that you go to? Are there varying prices depending on the gondola “driver”so you negotiate?

Do the gondolas also run during the day so we would have an option of a day or night ride?

Thank you Keith!

Not Keith, but here is some info.

This is the official price list set by the city of Venice:

http://www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43

The prices are per ride, not per person. Different price for day and night rides

Yes, there are gondola areas. Wherever you see a group of gondolas. The biggest is at the Piazza San Marco. There are so many you can't miss them.

Before you get on, reach an understanding about price and length of time. From San Marco you can ask the gondolier to take you under the Bridge of Sighs and the back canals, or maybe you want more of the Grand canal.

Thank you Keith!

You will not miss gondola stop. Many of them around. Price will be same . We paid 80 euro

Thank you !

2 more question please-Was that for 2 people and How long was the ride? I guess that could vary?

The price is pretty much fixed, and is the price for the trip, so it includes the number of people in your family or group, from one to a maximum of six. You won’t be sharing with strangers if you book on your own. It never hurts to negotiate, but that price is pretty firm. I have heard of people being able to agree an extended time for the same price. I think it costs more after dark, and more if the gondolier sings. I think I’d be willing to pay more for the gondolier NOT to sing, but thats just me.:D

Thank you !

2 more question please-Was that for 2 people and How long was the ride? I guess that could vary?

Prices are set by the City of Venice. Please, read the official tariff schedule:

http://www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43

It shows the prices per trip for 40 minutes. Different prices for night and day. It also shows the prices for each additional 20 minutes, both for day and night. If you want to, print it and take it with you.

Daytime it is 80 euros for 40 minutes, if you want one hour, it would be 80 + 40 = 120. For the trip, not per person.

At night it would be 100 euros for 40 minutes. It would be 100 + 50 = 150 for one hour. Night starts at 19:00 (7 pm).

It is all on the price schedule.

If you "negotiate" and they charge you more, move on. If they charge you less, good for you.

The only caveat is that you repeat to the gondolier before you get on: "It is 80 euros for 40 minutes, right?" So he doesn't skimp on the length of time. They generally don't, but it can happen.

If you sign up through an agency or ship, they quote you a price per person. You are putting the extra money into their pocket.

Edited by marazul

Thank you !

It was per gondola and about 30 -35 min ride. (We went 2 adults and child)) More then enough time. you can do it any time of the day , evening I believe bit more money

It is Italy and everything is negotiable :). The Gondolas will sometimes seek a price that is higher then the official posted rates (see Marazul's post above) or they will reduce the time of your ride by 5-10 minutes from the specified 40 min ride. If business is not good, one can often negotiate a better deal which might be a slightly lower price, a longer ride, or a combination of both. It never hurts to try :).

Also remember my suggestion (from an earlier post). Sipping some nice Italian wine, while riding in your Gondola, just makes everything seem better :). Local wine shops (and other places that sell wine) will pull the cork (if you ask) and sell you cheap plastic wine glasses.

Hank