MSC Heated Hair Appliances Ban

Hi

I'm going on a MSC cruise 20th May and MSC have confirmed no heated hair appliances are allowed on the ship. How on earth will I manage without my GHDS!

To say im not happy is a understatement to say the least !

Flat irons are just as dangerous as a clothes iron. I don't know why they are allowed in the first place…

I'm getting on dangerous ground here (because I am not an engineer!) but I'm not sure the above is true, strictly speaking.

I seem to recall in discussions on these boards in the past that clothes irons and blow dryers are more dangerous because they have a much higher wattage. (Average irons use about 1100 watts, and most of us use blow dryers that are at least 1600 watts). Your curling iron, on the other hand, uses only 80 watts, and a flat iron uses about 170 watts.

I believe the hazard on board a ship with these types of appliances isn't so much that of starting a fire due to heat contact with something flammable as it is of overloading the wiring. Of course, heat contact IS possible, which is why having an automatic shut-off is also important.

But just by themselves, I would have to say a flat iron is not as dangerous as a clothes iron!

Then again, I could be completely wrong. ;) It might be interesting to pose this question on the "Cruise Questions" forum and see if the poster who is knowledgeable in this area and answers a lot of questions about engineering would know....

Anyone have a source that shows how many ship fires originated with a curling iron, flat (hair) iron, or hot rollers that were left on? Something tells me that the number is miniscule when compared to the hundreds of thousands of pax who take them on cruises with them every year.

I could survive without any of the above, but I have plenty of friends who (who cruise often) who would probably stop cruising if this became an industry-wide standard.

Wow! While I have cruised MSC several times in the past, I will not book them with that restriction. Lots of other fish in the sea.

Can't think of when I have read a news story about a house fire started by a heated hair appliance.

How about banning cigarettes and cigars on all ships? That is a known fire starter.

There is absolutely NO WAY I would cruise a line that wouldn't allow my electric curlers or hair dryer...no way!

They don't allow clothing irons, but every other line will allow curling irons, and other heated hair appliances!

I tend to agree that the real worry is how many watts an appliance draws. I don't know as irons draw much because they have a heating unit but no motor as blow dryers do. Clothes irons tend to cause fres because none have an immediate temperature cut off. So I don't understand a ban on curling irons, heated rollers (although none of the salons use them) or flat irons because none have a motor driven heat element.

Now if the lines would get with it and supply decent hair dryers. The wall units have handles that get uncomfortably hot very fast.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. ;) It might be interesting to pose this question on the "Cruise Questions" forum and see if the poster who is knowledgeable in this area and answers a lot of questions about engineering would know....

Chengkp75 would surely know but he's not around at the moment. I do believe he has discussed this sort of thing and he's always the voice of reason.

I'm just thinking about the potential of someone leaving the iron on in those cramped quarters. If left in the bathroom, it could fall off the shelf and land on a towel. Left that way long enough, I can see it maybe starting something. In the cabin, let it sit long enough on that cheap furniture and it could do something..

Just spitballin' here. I just know I put a nice burn melt pattern on an old bathroom counter back in the day when I used a flatiron (5 year ago at least)...

• 1 year later...

I went on first MSC cruise Dec 2017 and brought a curling iron, steam rollers, and clothes steamer with no problem. We did make sure all were cooled before leaving the cabin for dinner daily. I would not be happy if these items were confiscated on next year's cruise with MSC. I enjoy spending time getting ready on vacation and it's a treat. I sure don't have time in my daily life with rushing out the door to get to work.

I’ve always taken my hair straightener because by bangs curl funny and I can’t fix my hair any other way. So I panicked and went to the Celebrity site as I am going on a 15 night cruise in October. Picture 15 bad hair days! Celebrity does allow them, thankfully! I also went to the MSC site and sure enough no hair straighteners are allowed. They were allowed on MSC 2 years ago. I remember calling to ask, and I had no issues taking it on board in my carry-on. Spend a day in my hair before you make light of this issue. For some us us, it’s a dealbreaker.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe all cruiselines that sail from the US ban those appliances.

I beg to differ - I know for a fact that Holland America, Carnival and Princess all allow flat irons and curling irons. I can't imagine going on a cruise and not bringing mine with me - it would not be a pretty sight!

They don't allow clothes irons, but mine just collects dust anyway.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The start of this thread was in 2016.

MSC allows curling irons, flat irons, etc. onboard their ships in the USA. Not sure about the hair dryers, since I don't bring mine, I use theirs.

Cruised on MSC, it was allowed.

Also discussed on the MSC board ..... they're allowed.

The start of this thread was in 2016.

MSC allows curling irons, flat irons, etc. onboard their ships in the USA. Not sure about the hair dryers, since I don't bring mine, I use theirs.

Cruised on MSC, it was allowed.

Also discussed on the MSC board ..... they're allowed.

I went to their current website and saw it spelled out. However, I was on the Divina in 2016 with my hair straightener. I called their customer service ahead of time to verify and they told me that hair straighteners are allowed. I think they need to synchronize their website to reality.

Sent from my iPad using Forums