Best Sea food in Anchorge

Etchdreams

Wife and I and another couple will be flying into Anchorage Mid May and staying for a week to see some of the sights. I was wondering where to find some good Sea Food. I know people have different opinions on what "Good" is. Looking for some Crab and Halibut. What would be some of the different types of Crabs to try....

Thanks for any help

We love seafood, but since we live here we find by preparing it ourselves we get it cooked right. It is very easy to overcook seafood. We eat out fairly often too, but except for oysters on the half shell and shrimp dishes, we usually order other items. However, that doesn't mean we don't have a lot of restaurants here that do sea food correctly. Tripadvisor's restaurant ratings for seafood in Anchorage appear to be close to what I would recommend. As for crab and lobster, check my Sagaya Market comments on the C.C. thread "Crabs".

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60880-c33-Anchorage_Alaska.html

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2581054

It is difficult to make recommendations in Anchorage without knowing if the OP will have a vehicle, but if they are staying for a week I suspect they may.

Simon and Seaforts is a reliable option for a tourist staying downtown. And while we certainly patronize Humpy's folks need to be prepared for the somewhat "bar like" atmosphere. But most independent restaurants in Alaska will have some seafood on the menu. The national chain restaurants tend to have their national chain standardized menu with little local offerings.

I've never been impressed by Humpy's... Seems like a tourist trap.

The best halibut fish & chips is at the F Street Station, if you can find a seat.

The dirty little secret is that most seafood caught in Alaska is shipped to Seattle for processing and distribution. The locals catch their own.

• 2 weeks later...

Most none chain places in Anchorage have pretty good seafood....otherwise, they don't stay in business very long....Another restaurant that is local, and is just open in the summer is the Bridge....right over ship creek, and it usually has very good seafood. They serve whatever is best that day....and their crab mac and cheese is divine....as is their rhubarb desserts. They try to get food as local as possible...(veggies) but their seafood is always Alaskan.

The dirty little secret is that most seafood caught in Alaska is shipped to Seattle for processing and distribution. The locals catch their own.

Nope----China not Seattle. Seattle might have been our export market back when I was young, six decades ago. Different story today, as Seattle falls into the category of "other markets" which account for only 6% of Alaska seafood exports. China is Alaska’s largest seafood export market in terms of tonnage and value, accounting for 35 percent of tonnage and 27 percent of export value in 2015. Japan is #2--20%, Europe #3--19%, South Korea #4--15%, Canada #5--- 5% and Other Markets #6---6%. Alaska exports about 1.1 million metric tons of seafood per year, pretty hard for a population of 730,000 to polish off that much seafood without help.

China however, "it is estimated that approximately 80 to 90 percent of these exports are sold to secondary processors which re-export finished products to other global markets – primarily in Europe, the U.S., and Japan. Most of Alaska’s exports to China consists of frozen H&G (headed/gutted) fish, which are then filleted in China where labor costs are considerably lower."

Edited by kennicott

I've never been impressed by Humpy's... Seems like a tourist trap.

The best halibut fish & chips is at the F Street Station, if you can find a seat.

I agree. I ate there once. Never went back.