Silver Wind ... as we speak

MBP&O2/O

Day 1 - Sunday 11 March

We arrived at the pier to board at 1230 - a totally painless programme, and we were seated in La Terraza by 1300. Interesting to note that the in-suite documentation states boarding is available from 1200, whereas the official guff says 1400.

The suite was ready by 1345 so we were able to unpack and explore at leisure.

First impressions are mixed, but we are still getting to know just how everything operates.

Trying to be objective now ....

I personally feel that the decor is in need of a spruce up. Yes it could be described as old fashioned, which is immaterial, but some of the carpets are noticeably frayed, and the wet wall in the bathroom is quite badly scratched and chipped, and that shouldn’t happen whether the furnishings are old or new.

Personal opinions etc.

We ate dinner in the MDR and the food was excellent. Slightly disorganised approach by the staff though.

We were seated, and a menus was delivered. We were then asked about wine and a choice was made, and glasses filled. Then the waiter arrived to take the food order and told us that id we wanted we could also choose from the ‘In-suite’ dining menu ... of which he couldn’t produce a copy, but of course by that time we had already ordered the wine based on a food choice. Perhaps the options should have been described earlier?

After dinner was a cocktail in the bar. The bar tender has no idea of quantity control and the top of my head lifted withe the first sip of the Vesper. [emoji3]

Best described as pretty damn good!

I am very VERY surprised at the number of children on board. There are a couple of teenagers, three or four youngsters and three ‘babes in arms’.

We had an invite to dine with the Cruise Director (?) this evening but declined due to a previous engagement.

More to follow ... if wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am very VERY surprised at the number of children on board. There are a couple of teenagers, three or four youngsters and three ‘babes in arms’.
Great to hear that your voyage is off to a nice start, albeit a couple of hiccups here or there.

As surprised as you are about the number of children on board, be glad you are sailing now, because you would be absolutely astonished how many kids will be on board the next 3-weeks which represents the height of spring break revelry for the U.S.

Thanks for the initial report. Surprised to hear about that number of children onboard. May we know who the HD and CD are and an idea of the number of guests. Would also be interested in how you found Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very interested to hear more, especially since we’re boarding the Wind in a little over two weeks. Are you in a Vista Suite? Owners Suite? Something in between? You mentioned children... are they taking over the pool? Running amok? Or well behaved and pleasant?

Also looking forward to hearing about what shape you find the Islands in. Hopefully they’ve nearly completely recovered from last autumn’s hurricanes.

You mentioned children... are they taking over the pool? Running amok? Or well behaved and pleasant?

Also looking forward to hearing about what shape you find the Islands in. Hopefully they’ve nearly completely recovered from last autumn’s hurricanes.

I’m on the same sailing, and will do a report later when I have a bigger keyboard. To answer some questions:

Cruise Director is Collin, Hotel Director is Daniel.

I’ve also been surprised by the number of smallish children, especially the toddlers and babes in arms. That said, all the kids I’ve seen have been extremely well behaved and respectful of the public spaces. They’ve not taken over the pool or decks, and so far in my experience they are bringing a fresh and delighted energy to the ship. This seems to be a good time for multi-generational family groups, not spring breakers per se.

As for hurricane recovery, the Virgin Gorda by Land and Sea tour yesterday showed us the extent of the damage that remains. We circumnavigated the island, and our guide pointed out resorts that were destroyed and have not even begun being restored. Ours was the only ship around yesterday, and he said they hadn’t expected to be able to host any until next year, so they were very pleased to be open enough for business. In some ways, it was a tour of a natural disaster area. Very humbling, while also still very beautiful.

We’re at St. Kitts now, with 2 other ships in port (Jewel ots and a ginormous P&O ship). More reports to come, later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As we speak ... continued.

San Juan: We stayed in Old San Juan at a hotel called La Terraza de San Juan, which claims to be a luxury hotel. CC forbids recommendations but even it it didn’t .... I wouldn’t. Read into that what you will!

OSJ was very busy as there was a festival on the go, so narrow street, cobbled surfaces and standing traffic detracted from it. There is still a fair amount of post hurricane reconstruction going on, and a lot of obvious damage. Plenty of touristy places to eat.

There hasn’t been a problem with the children. On day 1, the baby started crying whilst in the MDR at 8pm, but the parents dealt with it well.

Last night the same threesome went into La Dame at 9pm. It was formal night and the male of the party was without a jacket .... I didn’t hang around for the result[emoji3]

Pool deck? Can’t comment .... we haven’t been up there much.

Senior Staff:

Staff Captain. Cuono Leccese

Hotel Director. Daniel Ilias

Cruise Director. Colin Barbiere-Brown

Accommodations: We are in a veranda suite, 718. Smaller than I expected. The bathroom is teeny. Don’t get me wrong with the critique .... there is nothing wrong with the suite, it is clean and presentable, but it is showing its age .... like me I suppose?

Virgin Gorda still looks in bad shape after Hurricane Irma.

St. Kitts seems OK ... but our tour driver said they got of lightly.

As an aside, the ‘one hour free’ package wifi is OK.

Please sir or ma'm, may we have some more!

Spinnaker Twist. ;p

I am enjoying the reports too. Thanks to both MBP&O2/O and Unibok, for using some of your internet time to satisfy our need to cruise vicariously through you!

The Wind was the second ship in SS's fleet, same ship as the Cloud. At that time(1994) the suites were only 240 sq. ft. of interior space, small by today's standards but very nice back then. They made a quantum leap in size with the Shadow and Whisper.

Fwiw .... speaking to staff in La Terrazza, the menu changes every three days .... I seem to remember this being a topic of conversation?

Photo’s .... 🤞

MDR menus for tonight, and Silver Wind outnumbered in Antigua. The latter taken from a helicopter on an excursion.

e2af63cd55be43ddc5f85e106d931a9a.jpg

f26760b78b8e1ce4051a921af320a2bb.jpg

eb5b13ba8b29be3254a407666676e93b.jpg

:D:D:D

Mike, thanks for posting the menus. :)

Do you find that in reading them that you fancy a dish but they seem to add "one more thing" that you sort of want removed? I know that it is requestable but almost every line seems to have a "step too far" if you get my drift. It might just be parmesan, or garlic or whatever.

?

I’m curious about the dress code. Is there a black tie night? Our trip in a week and a half doesn’t seem to have one. To bring the tux or not to bring the tux. That is the question :confused:

I’m curious about the dress code. Is there a black tie night? Our trip in a week and a half doesn’t seem to have one. To bring the tux or not to bring the tux. That is the question :confused:

If your partner is happy to wear it then bring it. There will be others similarly attired.:cool:

Thanks so much for posting the menus. Our first Silversea Cruise will be Aug 1 - 15 on the Wind sailing from Tower Bridge around the British Isles. It will be helpful in deciding which restaurants to book ahead.

We have planned accordingly for the formal night. In all the cruise docs, it states one formal, 3 informal, and 3 casual. Formal nights are the exception in the Med, Alaska, and I think the Gallapagos.