Are Elite Perks Generous Enough?

need2cruisesoon

I'm Ruby now but reading all the included's for Elite yet somehow not "wowed" by the perks.

My advice, get rid of the following:

- afternoon tea

- shoeshine

- canapes

- wine tasting

I mean do you really use these or get excited about shoe shine?

And replace with a complimentary (alcohol or non) beverage package or free excursions.

Now you've got something!

Some people really do use and appreciate those perks. I’m fine with the current Elite perks. Would I like more? Sure! Not only do I get the perks but I get the Loyalty OBC as well. That extra $100 on every cruise regardless of length is nice.

I exchange the mini-bar set-up for either two coffee cards or all diet sodas so I can live without a beverage package. I rarely drink alcohol so the all-inclusive would be a useless perk. I’d rather have the OBC.

If Princess adds another Captain’s Circle level above Elite, it’ll be something that doesn’t cost them a lot of $. I’d love dinner in a specialty restaurant as an added perk, for instance, but when you’re sailing with close to 1,000 Elite on a cruise, that would be impossible to implement.

I am also happy with what we get.

We don't take advantage of the 4 things OP mentions. However, the free laundry, internet minutes, priority boarding, priority tendering, mini-bar setup and the Loyalty OBC come in handy for us.

I would think (and hope) that if Princess decides to add any perks they will be for a new super elite category requiring 500 or even 1000 days. Full disclosure, we have nearly 750.

Yes, the perks are generous enough. FYI, on our last cruise we actually did go to the wine tasting, even though we don’t get excited about wine as we don’t live far from wine country, and we had a great time! Not only did we learn even more things about wine, but we met a lot of nice people.

Canapés, some are hit, some are miss.

Afternoon tea? If they gave us a free tea on the Regal or Royal in the center atrium I would go. It looks so nice when we’ve seen them setting it up. [emoji3]

My biggest issue with the Captain Circle Program is that it is based on Sea Days and Cruise Credits. It should be based on Sea Days Only. It is not fair to reach Elite status by doing a bunch of short cruises. Just saying...

Lots of positive feedback on Afternoon Tea in the cabin. Would be serious pushback if it was eliminated.

I will be Elite after finishing my two solo cruises booked for this summer. And am more than content with what I will receive on the next cruise. The lines where loyalty benefits are heavily booze-based can keep them.

That said I agree Princess should institute a higher "Elite-plus" level. The mechanism is already in place. Rather than come up with a bunch of specific perks the first and best thing to be done is to (substantially) increase the loyalty OBC for those with 20+ cruise credits.

A little O/T but I would advocate a special program of benefits for Loyalty-level members (over 20 cruise credits or say 250 days) booked in a full suite. Replenish the whole mini-bar (or at least sodas, mixers, and beers) daily, multiple specialty dining visits, a wine credit in the dining rooms and/or Vines--and maybe even reserved seats in the showrooms.

You can add some of those to Elite-plus if you think it wise. I don't think giving concrete perks such as a beverage package or free excursions to current Elites is entirely workable--what would be the rules when one in the cabin is Elite and the other not, especially if given a free PBP?

We don't take advantage of the 4 things OP mentions. However, the free laundry, internet minutes, priority boarding, priority tendering, mini-bar setup and the Loyalty OBC come in handy for us.

I would think (and hope) that if Princess decides to add any perks they will be for a new super elite category requiring 500 or even 1000 days. Full disclosure, we have nearly 750.

agree with Paul...... but we occasionally do wine tasting especially if we meet someone to go with and wish they would bring back chocolate covered strawberries as a perk and we enjoyed the tea with our daughter!

I'm Ruby now but reading all the included's for Elite yet somehow not "wowed" by the perks.

My advice, get rid of the following:

- afternoon tea

- shoeshine

- canapes

- wine tasting

I mean do you really use these or get excited about shoe shine?

And replace with a complimentary (alcohol or non) beverage package or free excursions.

Now you've got something!

Am I the only one that agrees with you?? Looks like that is the case. I try to never look a gift horse in the mouth and there are many advantages to booking and sailing on Princess. But, I have to agree with you, I love the perks / benefits of elite / diamond and above when sailing on Celebrity / RCCL so much better. I am not saying I don't understand those that value what Princess offers, I am just saying that personally, I value what Celebrity and RCCL offer quite a bit more. I would love even a complementary beer / wine happy hour, especially now that I understand they have eliminated the BOGO happy hour on Princess.

I agree with Pam. I don;t take any of my perks for granted. Just appreciative. I do LOVE my laundry service.

Yes laundry is great, until you are on a ship (royal) with 50% elites, then 7 days for laundry, quicker to do our own!

It's way overdue from most people's standpoint even though it won't directly affect me for a long time.

does

Celebrity / RCCL...let you combine military, stock with other OBC or do you have to choose?

Princess lets you use it all!! As well as getting elite benefits.

The most we have had to wait for laundry is 3 days when there was a surplus of elites sailing and usually when there is an abundance of elites you receive a card in your room letting you know it will take 3 days.

Oh did someone mention RCI & X......so many perks have been taken away and so many changes have taken place, have cruised them since '91. In 2008 they did a big overhaul and it continues today.....

Appreciate what you have with Princess now, they were adding when RCI was eliminating ex. stock ownership... it is only a matter of time time.

My view....pick the itinerary, next cost and finally the cruise line.......Loyalty perks come & go.....but experiences are forever.....

Edited by land lover

If they were to add another tier I would put it at 25 cruises or 250 days, anything less would be to close to elite tier. The perk I like best from RCCL is reserved seating for the shows.

I would make it at least 500 or even 750 or 1000 days.