Miami as a port of call???

live2learn

Has anyone ever had Miami as a port of call? We are booked on the east coast & Bahamas cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur this Thanksgiving day. We chose the cruise for a number of reasons that are mostly related to the fact that we have 2 house reno projects going on at the moment and this was economical in both monetary and vacation/PTO usage.

But... I am having difficulty figuring out what to do with the Miami day. We prefer to snorkel whenever we have a chance, and we bring our gear along. Due to lack of excursions available and logistical issues for going off on our own, I am leaning towards just staying on ship. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

...To make matters worse, the roll call for the cruise is like a ghost town! When I booked, it seemed that the inside and oceanview cabins were mostly accounted for, so I don't think that there is a lack of travelers (??). So anyway, there isn't the usual (in my experience) group of people to join forces in making something happen that isn't a prepackaged tour.

Sorry about the overuse of emojis. I am used to them popping in when I click them (I don't use them very often), and couldn't figure out why they weren't showing up in the text or the preview ...I gave up, but here they are.

Not as a cruise stop. have started and ending many cruises in Miami and spent time in the city. No issues finding things to do. A google search will give you a full day of things in Miami.

Thanks for your reply! I understand that there are many city related activities (shopping/dining/museums/etc.). What I am really trying to do is get out in or on the water with a focus on nature, not the millionaires row along the intercoastal. It just boggles my mind that with a national park (Biscayne) covering 270 square miles sitting right at the end of the dock, there are no excursions offered there. I hate the cold and the dark of late fall-winter months so much that soaking in the sun and blue water acts as a medicine of sorts to get me through to the next spring. ...I take as much as I can pack in on a cruise.

Thanks for your reply! I understand that there are many city related activities (shopping/dining/museums/etc.). What I am really trying to do is get out in or on the water with a focus on nature, not the millionaires row along the intercoastal. It just boggles my mind that with a national park (Biscayne) covering 270 square miles sitting right at the end of the dock, there are no excursions offered there. I hate the cold and the dark of late fall-winter months so much that soaking in the sun and blue water acts as a medicine of sorts to get me through to the next spring. ...I take as much as I can pack in on a cruise.

There's really nothing to offer an excursion to, unless you mean the cruise line offering a bus that takes you to the park's visitor center...which is nowhere near the Miami cruise terminal, it's at least an hour's drive away, more in traffic. The park consists mostly of water, and the activities are what you might expect, fishing, boating snorkeling. They're largely "do it yourself" activities, not something particularly suited for 40 people on an organized tour.

Have you looked at the park's website to get a feel for what it's like?

https://www.nps.gov/bisc/index.htm

How about renting a car and driving there ?

If a day at the beach would satisfy you, it's a short taxi ride from the cruise port to the South Beach neighborhood. Try going to Lummus Park. We stay in that area pre-cruise when sailing from Miami.

http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/parks/lummus-park/110489

Edited by njhorseman

Has anyone ever had Miami as a port of call? We are booked on the east coast & Bahamas cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur this Thanksgiving day. We chose the cruise for a number of reasons that are mostly related to the fact that we have 2 house reno projects going on at the moment and this was economical in both monetary and vacation/PTO usage.

But... I am having difficulty figuring out what to do with the Miami day. We prefer to snorkel whenever we have a chance, and we bring our gear along. Due to lack of excursions available and logistical issues for going off on our own, I am leaning towards just staying on ship. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

...To make matters worse, the roll call for the cruise is like a ghost town! When I booked, it seemed that the inside and oceanview cabins were mostly accounted for, so I don't think that there is a lack of travelers (??). So anyway, there isn't the usual (in my experience) group of people to join forces in making something happen that isn't a prepackaged tour.

Sorry about the overuse of emojis. I am used to them popping in when I click them (I don't use them very often), and couldn't figure out why they weren't showing up in the text or the preview ...I gave up, but here they are.

Our cruise in February had Miami as a port of call. We stayed on the ship because it was such a nice day and their was a rip current warning for the beach. If we did go off, we would have probably done the Big Bus, jump on, jump off tour or the Aquarium by ourselves. Friends booked through NCL, the Bus/Boat sightseeing tour and said it was terrible. It was so bad that when they complained to the shore ex desk, they were told that they were not the only ones who complained and ended up getting 30% back.

A couple of things, the end of November the ocean water will be cold (for us anyways) and fish aren't plentiful in cold water. Low 70s for ocean water and you are snorkeling in a wetsuit.

That said, November is perfect beach weather for us if that appeals to you. South Beach would be a blast and everything should be open because it is in the beginning of our season.

My other suggestion would be the HOHO Red Bus. You can see South Beach, Wynwood, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Brickell/Downtown,Calle Ocho and Little Havana, Little Haiti, etc. I'd get off the bus in South Beach and have an alfresco Thanksgiving Lunch somewhere with great people watching.

Or if Versailles is open, hop off the bus in Little Havana and eat there. It is truly an experience.

There is a lot for you to do, including spending the day at the beach if that's what you would like.

From jet ski rentals, to beaches to museums as you said. The great thing about this area is not only do you have city things to do, nature is all around us!

Not sure how long you have in port but Key Biscayne offers many things beach/state park/ nature wise and isn't far from the port. You can kayak, bike ride, and do all kinds of things here.

South Pointe Park and Pier is a spectacular beach. South Beach has lots of nice beaches.

Bayside which is super close to the port has jet ski rentals.

http://www.miamijetskirental.com

I just found Deco Divers, who offer snorkel trips, and they are located just over the causeway. The one frustrating thing about trying to research this area is that, in looking for snorkel/dive operators, I kept bringing up results for Key Largo and further down. This operator takes you out to off shore reef and some shallow water wrecks in Biscayne. If for some reason that doesn't work out, I think we might rent a car so we can go to Key Biscayne, but I would rather snorkel living coral than fossil coral and rocky outcrops. My husband is finally getting the hang of it, and it will be his first opportunity to go to some decent coral for snorkeling.

I am not overly worried about the ocean temperature, as I have snorkeled the Bahamas in late February and early March. ...Not ideal, but when you cruise to get away from the frigid north, you take what you can get.

...of course, freak cold can hit, as well (but I am not reinforcing that thought).

Yes we have had Miami as a port of call.

You could take Uber or a Taxi to South Beach and walk around and even have lunch there.

You could walk or take the transport I mentioned just over the bridge to Bayside and walk around that area.

You could do likewise and go to Mary Brickell Village and also Brickell Centre

If you need anything in port from a pharmacy type of store (CVS) there is one right near the Holiday Inn just shortly after you cross the bridge.

Keith

There is plenty to do, especially in the water. Just keep searching. Maybe the cruise lines don't offer much because most people focus on the big things like South Beach, Little Havana, Wynwood and The Everglades.

If you have never been to The Everglades late November is usually a great time to go.

Miami isn't the place I would plan a snorkel trip. Many other, better things to do. There is much better places to go for a swim. You CAN snorkel in Miami if you really want to, and probably best calling operators as you have already done. But personally, I'd look at other activities. Depending on what day and time the ship comes in, you may want to look into the trip to Boca Chita Key by the park service. It runs from 10A - 1PM.