Ketchikan - Misty Fjords boat tour

mimijes

My husband and I will be in Ketchikan from 9am-6pm on the Celebrity Millennium in May. I’m interested in the Allen Marine Misty Fjords boat tour, but I have read that the tour is 4.5 - 5 hours, most of which is uninteresting boating to the Fjords, with only 45 minutes there.

Has anyone been on this tour and is it really boring?

Not beautiful Alaska scenery?

I prefer not to do the flightseeing tours.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

We did this tour and really enjoyed it. You can see my pictures in my signature (have to view my Flickr album now since Photobucket went kaput). My Flickr album starts with Ketchikan. We really enjoyed the scenery coming and going. I think your enjoyment can really depend on the weather and whether you see wildlife. But we really enjoyed it and saw lots of wildlife, even whales, and the boat operator even stayed a little late so we could see them as long as possible.

The boat provides really nice binoculars and some hot soup or chili on the ride back also.

Edited by Beachiekeen

I've been on that tour twice and really enjoyed it. The first time was in really misty weather, the second time in full sun. Both were beautiful, but I enjoyed Misty Fjords in mist much more.

IMG_1084%20New%20Eddystone%20Rock-S.jpg

P1020290-S.jpg

The sizes of the cliffs, the colors in the rocks and the waterfalls are just stunning. Yes, it takes a while to get into the fjords, but it was worth it, IMO. I'd do it again.

Ketchikan%20Misty%20Bay3-S.jpg

I live here and I have done it twice. No way would I fly into that box canyon unless I know how many bush hours he has in Alaska...(or she)....They have a naturalist on board, we saw petroglyphs, whales.....it was wonderful. It can be bumpy however...if the weather is bad...but then, if the weather is bad, the boat goes, and the planes stay home....I think the scenery is some of the most spectacular in Alaska....Go for it....my opinion.....it is an amazing sight...and yes, the colors are beautiful...as are the waterfalls...

I have only done the boat tour to the Misty Fjords once and except for the 45 minutes at the destination, the boat ride was indeed boring. Since the water route passes through a "Wilderness" area, the boat had to stay a long way from shore.

One whale was spotted but the boat could only slow for about five minutes before resuming the high-speed run back to Ketchikan. One giant rock was passed to/from but nothing else caught my attention.

Bring a book to read. Some took the boat to the Fjords and boarded a float plane for the return trip..

P9220787.jpg

I have to agree. My family did this one last summer and one of my teens and I almost fell asleep. It is a very long ride and while the scenery is pretty it is also repetitive. It will vary for everyone. I think we were also disappointed because the port time in Ketchikan is so short (at least on Princess) that we didn't have spare time to do anything else.

The boat/plane combo is what I wanted to do and I think it would be fantastic. But it was a lot more expensive and we did a float plane in Juneau so I got outvoted. I think that would be the best of both worlds though.

I think it helped also that Ketchikan was our first port so we were just excited to see anything in Alaska. We pretty much did stay inside on the return back to port and had our soup and then when we got close to port, we went back outside. Overall, I still found it to be worth doing.

I did the plane/boat tour. I did not like the plane -we had a ton of turbulence. It was a cool landing.

The first 20 minutes of the boat ride was gorgeous. After that, it looked like scenery you saw everywhere else in Alaska. I wouldn't say not to do it and I may do it again (boat ride).