First Cruise to the Caribbeans

Thank you Traveler Trish. I have contacted Sunfari. 2 in our group like to walk a lot and I am trying to get a sense of how we access the walking trails on St. John. The other 2 would want to just ride and look. And yes I know this is odd, but none of us plan to get in the water. What are your thoughts on the walking trails on St. John?

The National Park Service has all the trails OPEN! So many great hikes to do. If you take the public ferry from Red Hook on St. Thomas, the NPS welcome center is close by when you arrive in Cruz Bay, St. John. Walk to the left about 2 blocks until you see the visitor center. They have all of the trail information in there. Plus, there are a couple nice hikes right from there-- up to a gorgeous lookout point and over to a beautiful little beach only accessible from this trail.

Enjoy!

This is my first trip to the Caribbean and will need to be able to access wifi to keep in touch with those at home. I cannot afford Celebrity's price for internet on board. We will be visiting St Thomas, St Croix, Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia and St Maarten. Is wifi easy to access on these islands, or am I better off renting a pocket wifi device? I do not have a data plan here in Canada, but talk and text only through Rogers. Thanks for any advice!

There is free wi-fi at both of the cruise ship docks on St. Thomas. AT&T and Sprint are the main cell providers in the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, John, Croix) so a lot of people can use their own data too, although it won't work for you. Plus, restaurants & bars around the ports usually offer free wi-fi to their customers. :)

Every time we've stopped in St. Thomas we've taken the ferry over to St. John and rented a jeep to drive over to Trunk Bay. Easily one of my favorite places in the Caribbean.

Can you say more about renting a jeep on St. John?

This is doable if you have a long time in port. Too many ships only stop here on St. Thomas for 5 or 6 hours, which is sad because most people feel like St. Thomas is a highlight of their cruise. People tell me almost everyday that we are their favorite island.

There is free wi-fi at both of the cruise ship docks on St. Thomas. AT&T and Sprint are the main cell providers in the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, John, Croix) so a lot of people can use their own data too, although it won't work for you. Plus, restaurants & bars around the ports usually offer free wi-fi to their customers. :)

Great! Thanks for the information!

I just posted a thread yesterday about St. Kitts. We did Annie's Caribbean Tours. I arranged a private tour off ship. I love that we had the small coaches not having to wait for everyone to get on and off a big coach. These were very nice, air-conditioned and roomy. Annie took us all over the island and her guides were knowledgeable and funny. We went to the only UNESCO site in the Caribbean, a real batik making shop, an archeological dig, and so much more. She served us her family's rum punch and other drinks were available. I found out about her on Trip Advisor and her ratings are spectacular. Just go. You won't be disappointed.

The National Park Service has all the trails OPEN! So many great hikes to do. If you take the public ferry from Red Hook on St. Thomas, the NPS welcome center is close by when you arrive in Cruz Bay, St. John. Walk to the left about 2 blocks until you see the visitor center. They have all of the trail information in there. Plus, there are a couple nice hikes right from there-- up to a gorgeous lookout point and over to a beautiful little beach only accessible from this trail.

Enjoy!

A quick report on how St. Thomas (and St. John!) worked out for us. If folks are interested, I will post a more detailed report. Two of us took the ferry to St. John and visited the National Park Visitor Center. We really hoped to get a ride out to some other hikes, but we could not talk anyone into renting us a vehicle or driving us in their taxi. Our ship was in St. Thomas 12-10pm and disembarkation had been delayed, so it was after 3pm by the time we were in the Cruz Bay area. Nevertheless we went on the short hike right behind the visitor center and enjoyed it. We really wished we had been able to do more, but we were still really pleased we made it to St. John and the National Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding safety for your

phone and money.

I bought a water proof pouch on amazon.

There are different sizes and colors. Mine is pink

and my Husbands is black.

Has a adjustable strap that

fits around your waist.

Totally waterproof. Holds

my Samsung 7 active phone, wallet And ID.

My Husband has an apple

6 which is a smaller size.

However, the pouch I bought would hold the new

Apple 8 phones too.

No worries about things

disappearing while we snorkle.

Tropicqueen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app