First time cruise

cruisevacations

Hi everyone gday :):)

Im interested in local street food and travelling. Currently, i would like to try to travel on a cruise ship on Australian waters.

The places im interested in is the warmer weather along the east coast of Australia. I like clear blue water beaches where one can see fishes swimming around. Not so much sun tanning, may be snorkeling , i tend to avoid sun on my skin.

Im thinking for seven to nine days cruise.

I went to travel agency in Geelong and was qouted around $2775 for single but in a cabin for two. I dont have anyone to go with me but the agent said as i travel alone i have to pay same as for two people.

Would anyone be able to advise or suggest how do i go about getting best price /cruise and facilities even tho i havent got anyone to share cabin with and im on my own.

Have a lovelyvweeks everyone.

Blessings

Zion

Double occupancy is the norm for most cabins, with single passengers required to pay a premium for single occupancy. The premium can be 150% and is frequently double.

However, many cruise lines are now building ships with some single cabins - NCL, HAL & Royal Carib are some of them that I am aware of. I'm sure you will find others.

Thank you so much for the tips and web link. Im glad for your info of cruise ships that are building single cabin. I be looking into those and checknout your site. Much appreciated.

Blessings

Zion

Welcome to cruise critic. Although several cruise lines do have single cabins - Royal Caribbean and NCL - as examples you need to check prices carefully. Sometimes the single cabins can be just as expensive as booking a regular cabin that normally holds two. A good travel agent should be able to explain and help.

Here's the Cruise Critic article about the best cruise lines for solo travelers. Some allow you to book a double cabin without the single supplement, some have reduced single supplements and some offer solo cabins:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

To find the best price on your cruise - it takes some research but most of the time, the price on the cruise line's website may be the best. However, it is wise to check online cruise travel agencies because they give amenities such as free tips, cruise cash, free drinks and other perks. So once you find the cruise you want, do check both the cruise line's website and the online agencies. Keep in mind, if you book direct with the cruise line you are in total control of your reservation so if you wanted to change something, it is very easy to do. Whereas, if you book with a travel agent, they are in control of your reservation and if you want to make a change it is only through them. Me...I like to be in control of my own trip, so I usually book directly with the cruise line and book my own airfare and hotels as well.

As to Australian Beaches along the East Coast, there is not a lot of shade and you typically cannot find a place to rent umbrellas and lounge chairs, so may I suggest you get a long sleeved SPF rash guard, wide brimmed hat and bring sunscreen. If you feel you need a shelter or umbrella, bring one with you. The good side of this is that there are no vendors on Aussie beaches to bother you at all. You will find plentiful opportunities for snorkeling all along the East Coast with some of the best being along the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and at the Great Barrier Reef.

In Australia they have some unique foods such as Morton Bay Bugs - think of a pink slightly gamey tasting lobster tail (they don't have claws), meat pies, Chicko-rolls, sausage rolls, Vegemite, Pavlova, Tim-Tams, Anzac biscuits, Passiona soda pop (passion fruit flavored) and the different types of chocolate candy bars (Violet Crumble, Cherry Ripe, Polly Waffle, Boost, Chokito, etc) all of which you can find at local markets - Wowser! I often bring these home and make them into ice cream! Typically, we stop at local bakeries for breakfast - usually a sausage roll and then hit mom and pop shops for lunch - these are kind of like family run 7-11's. You can get lunches such as a salad roll or a hamburger with "the lot" which often includes pickled beets and a fried egg. This is one of the more inexpensive ways to eat in Australia while having authentic food.

Since you mentioned food trucks, here is a list of the 10 best in Sydney: https://concreteplayground.com/sydney/food-drink/food-2/the-ten-best-food-trucks-in-sydney/

I hope you have an absolutely marvelous trip in Australia!