Newbie question: Why are the crowds so long at the service desk after boarding?

u2good

I feel a little silly asking this because I have been on two cruises so far...

I notice that when I first get on a cruise ship and that afternoon before/during the departure, there's always a huge line or crowd around the service desks. Just mayhem. What exactly is going on? What are people doing/asking for when they hoard around the desk staff? They seem so serious about it, like, whatever it is, it's gotta be done right then. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Sorry for the newbie question. I see it, but I'm usually too busy touring the ship to ask. I've also only cruised alone, fwiw.

Endless possibilities

Checking for a cabin upgrade (wasting their time)

Setting up their "cash" account. They are not using a credit card.

Switching guests around in their respective cabins and getting new cabin keys

When we travel as a family with our adult "kids", we travel in a balcony or suite and they travel in an inside, so we get on that line to get keys for the others to let them use the balcony even if we're not in the room. It's not unusual for people traveling together to get key cards for their different rooms.

We've NEVER had to stop there....yes, the lines are long. I have no idea what problems those vacationers have. Changing cabins is probably the biggest reason. Or, undelivered gifts....who knows? Whatever it is, IMO, can wait!

I feel a little silly asking this because I have been on two cruises so far...

I notice that when I first get on a cruise ship and that afternoon before/during the departure, there's always a huge line or crowd around the service desks. Just mayhem. What exactly is going on? What are people doing/asking for when they hoard around the desk staff? They seem so serious about it, like, whatever it is, it's gotta be done right then. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Sorry for the newbie question. I see it, but I'm usually too busy touring the ship to ask. I've also only cruised alone, fwiw.

lots of reasons. getting extra keys. putting cash down for their account. trying to arrange special accommodations for the Muster drill. removing the daily service charge. and a multitude of other possibilities

We had to go to Guest Services immediately after boarding because we attempted to use our cards and they were showing that the account hadn’t been set up, so we had to redo that.

But from what I can tell, a big chunk of cruisers that are standing in line on day 1 are setting up cash accounts. Others are cleaning errors like ours.

Then on the last day, a big chunk of cruisers standing in line are the ones removing tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We routinely check OBC (on board credit) as soon as possible. While still at the dock it's a whole lot easier for Desk to contact Princess headquarters or you to call your TA (travel agent) before ship push back.

I suggest all pax to double check account/folio the 2nd day of the cruise to verify YOUR charges are being added correctly. Then check at least every other day after to double check no errant charges are being added. Kind of hard to remember what bar you were in and what you drank six days ago. For fun look at the customer service desk the last night or morning of disembarkation for those who just discovered that $500 bar tab.

We routinely check OBC (on board credit) as soon as possible. While still at the dock it's a whole lot easier for Desk to contact Princess headquarters or you to call your TA (travel agent) before ship push back.

I suggest all pax to double check account/folio the 2nd day of the cruise to verify YOUR charges are being added correctly. Then check at least every other day after to double check no errant charges are being added. Kind of hard to remember what bar you were in and what you drank six days ago. For fun look at the customer service desk the last night or morning of disembarkation for those who just discovered that $500 bar tab.

How do you check to see if the OBC from TA has been added to your account at the dock, is that something you can ask when checking in or will it show up in the APP?

How do you check to see if the OBC from TA has been added to your account at the dock, is that something you can ask when checking in or will it show up in the APP?

Back in the day, you would go to the front desk with cruise card and just ask for verification that any OBC had been applied to your account. In more recent years this information was in your cabin via the TV under folio charges.

That is a question that I am very interested in....my TA is giving me a substantial shipboard credit, for my upcoming world cruise...

It is not shown on my statement from the cruiseline, but she assures me it will be there when I board....

Since cruise lines will generally not speak directly to you, when your booking is thru a TA, is there any other way to be assured it will be there, in advance?:confused:

That is a question that I am very interested in....my TA is giving me a substantial shipboard credit, for my upcoming world cruise...

It is not shown on my statement from the cruiseline, but she assures me it will be there when I board....

Since cruise lines will generally not speak directly to you, when your booking is thru a TA, is there any other way to be assured it will be there, in advance?:confused:

Just FYI...anytime we have an OBC it is usually sometime during the second day before it shows up on our account. But it has always shown up...

I guess it probably takes that long for everything to load properly into the system.

So if you don’t see it right away you may want to give it until the next day. (just trying to save you a trip to Guest Services on Day 1)...:D

Hmmm, sounds like some of these issues can be sorted out in advance or later. A key card not working certainly is a great reason, but I would wait to check on an OBC. Plus, the whole loading money on my card, goodness. I love the planning part of traveling. So, I try to nail out the details before leaving. I come with small bills already. I come with correct currency already. I dont want to spend precious vaca time doing that stuff. Also, I usually look for times and days when the desk is not as busy and then go to take care of anything. But, again, key cards, I can understand that.

Speaking of the last night lines, my daughter had a problem with her luggage and we were stuck in that line from hell.

We decided it could have been entertaining if we hadn’t been stressed. We didn’t hear anyone removing DSC but a lot of people with questions and some arguing.