Now that I am actually going.....

relate2

could someone please give this virgin cruiser some valuable tips that you have learned over the years to save me falling into the pitfalls.

I have only got 11 days 16 hours 57 minutes left. :D

Thanks

Robert

hi just a few tips from me take enough avomine tablets for the length of your cruise start taking them 24 hours b 4 u go and then stop taking them

when you get your sea legs 2 take your own snorkelling gear 4 the islands

3 have 2nd sitting at dinner more time to do other things 4 play bingo its fun and there is a huge jackpot on the last dayhave a great time

kerrie

could someone please give this virgin cruiser some valuable tips that you have learned over the years to save me falling into the pitfalls.

I have only got 11 days 16 hours 57 minutes left. :D

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert, so glad you got on the cruise you wanted.....

NOW, firstly, I hope your passport is in good order,(you must have at least 6 months left on it )

don't fall for buying all the photos they will be taking of you.!!!

the washing machines are located on decks 5 and 6. $2.00 each wash or dryer ,or if you have lots of clothes with you, they usually have 1 or 2 days of special wash and iron delivered back to your cabin..... 20 articles for $25.00.

remember to put heaps of sun factor 30 plus on....the uv rays are stronger up there, and you burn a lot easier. don't want to get sunstroke do you.??

if your cabin is an inside one, take a small alarm clock,( it is dark and hard to tell time, I know from experience.!!.) you don't want to sleep in, if you want to catch that first tender. lol.

have no expectations.... and you will enjoy your cruise.

if you like to be on your own...find a chair and read a book, sunbathe or whatever,

but, you have been looking after someone 24/7. and probably have had no social life for a long time... get into all the trivia, games etc, meet new people and your trip will be one to remember.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Thanks kazzacruise for your practical tips. I will look at the avomine tablets but I have never suffered from sea sickness. Although I have never been on a large ship either. :) I had the snorkel and flippers on my list. It will be interesting doing the late dinner as Dad likes his dinner at 5pm each day.

Lorraine thank you for your help.

Passport....check expires 2013

Photos, I have my own digital camera and I consider myself a competent photographer, so I can't see myself buying any photos..

Thanks for the info on the washing of clothes. Unless it is really cold I think I will be in shorts and T shirts for most of the cruise.

Sunscreen thank you for reminding me. I got caught many years ago forgetting my sunscreen and had to pay over $25 for a small bottle of sunscreen.

Alarm clock, that is a good idea, didn't think of that.

Have no expectations and join in more than I normally would. Thank you Lorraine for reminding me of this in particular. I like the way you think outside the square.

Hi Kaz, thanks for the tip about the sticky....reminds me of a sign on the top of a can of Cabots Danish oil I used many many years ago....."When all else fails read the instructions." I should have checked the stickies first. :)

Although I would not have received the very insight full tip from Lorraine about joining in with the activities more than I do in my normal life.

Very good tip about about checking on what I can bring back into Australia, don't want to have to leave any souvenirs behind.

Hi Kaz,

Just wanted to say thanks again for pointing me to the Sticky. Guess what the first thing was on the list......Passport and tickets.........wasn't even on my list :eek: and I was up to No. 12, boy that could have been very embarrassing.

Also some other great tips there, it sure is a valuable resource.

....."When all else fails read the instructions." I should have checked the stickies first. :)

We'll excuse you for that Robert. After all, you are a male & we all know men DO NOT read instructions:D

Seriously though, hope you have a wonderful time. You deserve a break so make the most of it. Relax & enjoy!!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for my laugh of the day, :D Men and Instructions, I thought they were mutually exclusive like oil and water.

I will say though, I am one man who loves reading manuals that come with cars, DVD players, cameras etc.

Wow Robert only 11 days til your first cruise!!! You must be SO excited :)

If it's not on your list add some reef booties (or water shoes whatever you want to call them). They're invaluable on the smaller islands as most of them are just sand and dirt. They save you getting your joggers wet and ruined and means you can wander around in the water without cutting your feet!! They're nice and light and easier to dry than joggers or sandshoes too ;)

Definatley join in bingo. It's not bingo hall nanna bingo, it's a LOT of fun :)

I can't really think of anything else to offer that hasn't been said. Take a few $5 & $10 notes with you for the islands as they don't like to take coins and larger notes prove hard to find change for ;) $2 is all you'll need for a bus ride to ANYWHERE in Port Vila though. The bus system works kinda like last in last off, so for your $2 you can see a lot of Vila :D $10 per trip is all you should need for a taxi too. Remember to set the price BEFORE you get in though!

Have a wonderful holiday and don't forget to share some photos and a review with us when you get back :D

Thanks MsMinx for the reminder re the reef shoes. I do have a pair or waterproof all terrain sandals that I think will work well.

I will remember about the notes and setting the price before I take off in any taxi ride. I had an interesting case of that in Athens in 1980 on my honeymoon. We hopped into a taxi after a long plane ride and asked the taxi driver how much it would be to take us to our hotel. He said "Don't worry it will be alright." I asked him another two times and he kept saying "Don't worry, I look after you." He started taking off and I had to end up yelling at him 100 yards down the road to stop the cab and let us out.

It ended up there was a scam going on at the time with Taxi drivers ripping off tourists, luckily we did not get caught in the scam and just had to carry our bags back to the taxi rank where I found a Policeman and found a proper taxi driver.

I will definitely come back with some photos and cruising stories for everyone to feast on while waiting for their cruisers to come around. :)

I am so glad u got on the cruise after all.(read last post)

My advice is easy have fun.

Look at the daily paper and do what turns u on learn to dance and give dad a show when you go home.

Watch how much u drink as u could end up spending more than u want.I think u said u like cocktails each day they have a special.

Remember woman out number men this can be good or bad that is up to u.

Well I have not helped much but have fun .

congratulations on finally getting your cruise , will this one still go to mystery island?

just relax ,smile and talk to people, you will find them a friendly lot:)

join a team for trivia people love having extras, join tables at breakfast

try not to think of home too much (hard i know)

just remeber you deserve this and your dad will want you to have fun.

look forward to reading about it when you return...you did read the terms and conditions didnt you , if you post you have to write a review:D :D

Hi frog cruiser,

I will definitely have some fun although at this stage fun to me is not having to cook, and being able to switch off mentally. Dancing I don't know I am a typical man and do not find dancing comfortable.

I will have to keep an eye on the cocktails, I should be able to afford one a day. Just think though, the luxury of sitting down with a good book, a nice cocktail and not a care in the world, ahhhh, now that is luxury.

Women on the boat, well having been married and divorced twice, they are just not on my horizon at the moment.

Hi kaseyoz,

Yes luckily this one goes to Mystery Island and I believe it will be fine and smooth seas when I get there.:)

I like trivia so it will be fun playing and I will be being my friendly self so joining people for breakfast will not be a problem.

Terms and conditions, what terms and conditions, I don't remember reading any of that. :eek:.....it's ok I would be happy to post a review when I get back. :)

Bring some warm clothes. It gets quite cool in the theatre and round the ship. Even when you get nearer the islands. I think they have the AC a bit too cool.

Go to the Liar Liar show if they have it. It's very funny.

Yes Robertm Sayaguru is right, don't forget that on the first day out and the last day on your way South you are back in Sydney type temperatures. While the ship is heated the outside deck areas will be pretty cool, particularly at night. I took a polar fleece and wore it a lot on those days.

Have a great time, you deserve it.

Derek

Hi frog cruiser,

Women on the boat, well having been married and divorced twice, they are just not on my horizon at the moment.

Well that does not mean u stop looking I know been there 3 times and one day I will get it right. No I am past looking now.:rolleyes:

The dancing is fun learning to dance and good for a laugh.

Do not forget the theme nights you need to dance for them:D

I am of on the 15th but I am traveling with my mum on the star and counting the days 15 after tomorrow out Brisbane,and I still have to have early meals but I do not mind as I get early shows etc.

But I do not take the 60 I work with so I do have a break ha!ha!

Yes I still enjoy looking but don't know if I want to get back on that merry-go-round again.

Dancing we'll see when the time comes. Ballroom Dancing I suppose I could manage at a pinch.

Isn't the countdown great, it is almost like an extended holiday as you get a little thrill every time you see the counter.

A very bright friend of mine says....."Happiness comes from moving towards what you want not from getting it."

His idea of a happy life is as you are moving towards your next goal is to set up another one, then enjoy your first goal on the way through towards your next goal. That way you are always in a state of anticipation and happiness.:D

Sounds good to me, think of the joy the count down timers give you every time you see another day click by. Especially when you are down to the last month, ahhh the joy and anticipation. :)

Yes I still enjoy looking but don't know if I want to get back on that merry-go-round again.

Dancing we'll see when the time comes. Ballroom Dancing I suppose I could manage at a pinch.

Isn't the countdown great, it is almost like an extended holiday as you get a little thrill every time you see the counter.

A very bright friend of mine says....."Happiness comes from moving towards what you want not from getting it."

His idea of a happy life is as you are moving towards your next goal is to set up another one, then enjoy your first goal on the way through towards your next goal. That way you are always in a state of anticipation and happiness.:D

Sounds good to me, think of the joy the count down timers give you every time you see another day click by. Especially when you are down to the last month, ahhh the joy and anticipation. :)

That is soooo true, I have just as much fun planning my next holiday as I do taking it:D . I am always plannign the next one before I have been on the first one,

Chez

xx

• 4 months later...
hi just a few tips from me take enough avomine tablets for the length of your cruise start taking them 24 hours b 4 u go and then stop taking them

when you get your sea legs 2 take your own snorkelling gear 4 the islands

3 have 2nd sitting at dinner more time to do other things 4 play bingo its fun and there is a huge jackpot on the last dayhave a great time

kerrie

I think taking advomine, http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s378-s-AVOMINE.aspx would be the best idea but if you are used to cruising then it won’t be necessary. If you are taking your kids along with you then these pills will be very helpful. I’m supposed to be cruising too this month but my wife has got some pending work in her office so we won’t be able to go for our cruise. Okay!! Have a nice trip!!

Archived