sea sick preventative

Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to know what everyone uses to prevent sea sickness. I dont know if i get sea sick (i am bound to find out). I heard about kwells but then was told that you cannot drink with them. Then someone told me about the wristbands. I heard that they are good and that you dont have to wear them until you feel sick then put them on and they work. Has anyone used them or seen them on anyone. I figure that you wouldnt miss someone walking past with 2 wristbands on.

Has anyone had the shot from the doctor. How much is it. I have heard prices ranging from $90 to $300 dollars. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Kirsten, hello honey:)

Dont panic!! I take a couple of Kwells for the first couple of days just to get my sealegs. If this doesnt work, take some Phenergen with you in tablet form, available from the Chemist, probably at night as it tends to make you drowsy, well me anyway!! apparently the same as the shot the doc gives on the ship, if that fails get a jab from the doc.

Dont stay in the cabin too long, get up and get some fresh air, eat an apple, drink alcohol, it works:p don't focus on it, you will be fine, but from advice here, if it feels to bad and is affecting your cruise get the jab!!!

Chez

xx

I dont know if i get sea sick (i am bound to find out).

Hi Kristen,

I don't want to put you off, but sooner or later everyone gets seasick.

Its no big deal - nor is it the end of the world [though it can seem like it at the time.:D ]

You will get all sorts of remedies offered, but my advice would be to have a yarn with your family GP before going on the trip.

Your Doctor will know what would be best suited to you, and you know you will be getting "qualified" medical advice on the subject.

Hi Kristen,

Its no big deal - nor is it the end of the world [though it can seem like it at the time.:D ]

You will get all sorts of remedies offered, but my advice would be to have a yarn with your family GP before going on the trip.

Your Doctor will know what would be best suited to you, and you know you will be getting "qualified" medical advice on the subject.

How do you know EVERYONE gets seasick?? Kirsten is asking for cruisers advice, how does her doctor know what will be suited to her?? if he doesnt know if she is going to get sick?? Sorry I find your reply offensive with all your "qualified" and bold print.

Chez

xx

Hi Kristen,

I Have cruised 4 times two 14 days and over and I have NEVER been seasick in my life !!

And the first one was in cyclone Tracy but i certinly remember it well

My feeling is that when i go to my doctor he is going to say "So do you get seasick"? My answer is going to be "I dont know", so i dont think he is that good that he will be able to diagnose if i am going to get sick or not.

I also was not asking the cc members to be my doctor, i was simply asking them for suggestions and wanting to find out a overall response on the wristbands.

I think it is a rather large assumption to say that EVERYONE gets seasick as i have a friend who works at sea and has NEVER been sick.

Cheers,

Kirsten

My feeling is that when i go to my doctor he is going to say "So do you get seasick"? My answer is going to be "I dont know", so i dont think he is that good that he will be able to diagnose if i am going to get sick or not.

I also was not asking the cc members to be my doctor, i was simply asking them for suggestions and wanting to find out a overall response on the wristbands.

I think it is a rather large assumption to say that EVERYONE gets seasick as i have a friend who works at sea and has NEVER been sick.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Kirsten,

I only have ever been seasick when I was 6 years old,and only because my Mum kept me in the cabin:rolleyes: I have no experience with the wrisbands because the other remedies have worked for me as prevention.

I am sure with Minxy and JP on the cruise with you, you wont have time:p to be seasick and if you do, you will have the support and help you need with experienced cruisers:)

Chez

xx

Hello Kirsten,

I see you sail the day before us. On my first cruise I thought I would have the woosies, and did.The soup, bread and fresh air worked wonders along with the Stemetil I got from my GP. I can say that the ginger didn't work for me, I haven't tried the bands but will be trying the antihistamines (phernergan type) this time. I have since learned (from CC ) that you start antihistamines 1-2 days before the cruise. I got Avomine over the counter and they last 24hrs. I've heard the Kwells are good too, providing they aren't the natural ginger ones. Some suggest you take 1 each night when the seas are big. If you have to get the injection (phernergan based I believe), you could be looking at around $150. Hope that helps you decide what you need to take. Incidentally, I also get carsick in the back seat.

Have a top cruise.

Kinkacruiser

Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to know what everyone uses to prevent sea sickness. I dont know if i get sea sick (i am bound to find out). I heard about kwells but then was told that you cannot drink with them. Then someone told me about the wristbands. I heard that they are good and that you dont have to wear them until you feel sick then put them on and they work. Has anyone used them or seen them on anyone. I figure that you wouldnt miss someone walking past with 2 wristbands on.

Has anyone had the shot from the doctor. How much is it. I have heard prices ranging from $90 to $300 dollars. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten

I'm one of the fortunate ones that don't have to worry about sea sickness as I don't get it:D . I bought kwells for the kids & I just read the packet and it does say "avoid alcohol". It also says that they may cause drowsiness but my kids were not affected at all. The shot is around $100 but from what I've been told it is well worth every cent and you can claim it back from your travel insurance. I think if I suffered from sea sickness badly I would pay for the shot even if I couldn't claim it back. You don't want your holiday ruined by being sick. As for the bands, as far as I know you're supposed to wear them before you start feeling sick.

Karen

Hi Kirsten!

I went to our GP before we went on our first cruise earlier this year (I was paranoid as my daughter can't drive across town - yeah well she doesn't actually drive but you know what I mean - without feeling sick, so I knew she would be fragile on the cruise --- I was also concerned about my son and I!!!).

Anyway --- she said that it was definately better to be well prepared than to wait until you found out if you did get seasick! She loaded us up with Stemetil tablets in case it happened, and suggested over the counter Kwells for the adults (Dramamine for the kids - but you're going kid-less so not an issue for you this time).

Like Chez, I found the Kwells worked well (started taking them the morning before we sailed) --- did dry your mouth out a bit, so I drank lots of water (which was probably a good thing???!) and still managed to have a few wines and a cocktail or too with no adverse effects (well not that they were noticable to me ...):D I always carry Phernergan with me anyway - as I don't cope well with bee stings:eek: But didn't need to take any on this cruise as the Kwells seemed to keep things at bay.

The first night was the worst (the roughest too!) and it was only when we were walking out of the show that I felt a bit wobbly! Pleased to say that the four of us survived the last cruise sea-sickness-less!

The only time I took the Stemetil was the day we got home and I hadn't recovered my sea legs! (Almost fell over in the hall way!):eek:

Have a chat to your doctor before February and see what they say as it's probably worth having the prescription medication on you as well if you're at all concerned about it. Otherwise give the over-the-counter or the bands a go and see how you feel (By the way - I tried the bands on my son when he was much younger ... didn't make any difference to his travel sickness!! But it's probably different for everyone):D

I have read and posted some ideas myself on this topic.

Ther are a few threads that of course are more detailed.

--We use prescription Scop patches. Drawback they make you extremely dry mouth, and your eyes may be sensitive to sun

--Wrist bands

--stay well hydrated, (not Alcohol)

--Bonine over the counter

--The shot you get I believe is still phenergan,

this will make you very sleepy

--Good old fashioned crackers with ginger ale.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kirsten

We had very heave seas & a force 9 gale crossing the Tasman on the Sapphire Princess last march. We only ever use kwells & have no trouble. We always take them on boarding & for the first day or two, & then as needed if the ship is moving a lot. I tried using the bands on my son for travel sickness & they didn't work. People on these boards have mentioned that the injections on the ship cost about $90 and are very effective.

Kirsten,

I am sure with Minxy and JP on the cruise with you, you wont have time:p to be seasick and if you do, you will have the support and help you need with experienced cruisers:)

Chez

xx

Chez,

I am sure you are right with the Jo and JP thing. My only concern is if i am sick in the gym, JP will be of no help there :D :p :D .

Thanks for all your help. Only 6 months till your next one. Time will fly!!

Cheers,

Kirsten

I have cruised 4 times and only one of them less than 2 weeks (one was 5 weeks) and I have never been seasick and I've ever taken anything. My DH (also 4 cruises) went on a 21 day cruise on Fairstar and was caught in a cyclone (the ship couldn't even dock at Suva it was that bad and noone was allowed out on deck) and he has never been sick either and again, he's never taken anything.

Karen

Unfortunatley I do suffer from sea sickness. I started taking kwells the day before we sailed and took them every day of the cruise. At night I took Draminine (makes you drowsy) and maxaolon when I was actually feeling sick. Unfortunately, when it was rough, I constantly heaved. I did manage to lose 5kg though!! I didn't go to the doctor on the ship as the though of walking all that way with nothing to throw up in seemed impossible!! I still had a great cruise though when we were in calm waters. We had 2 days of rough sailing at the start and end of the cruise.

My daughter suffers from car sickness and used to use the wrist bands and gigner tablets when she was little-they seemed to help for short journies but not long ones. On the cruise she was fine and refused to take the kwells after 2 days!

Go prepared and enjoy yourself!

aliflem:eek:

I was really worried i'd be sick on our first cruise and took all sorts of remedies with me but didn't end up needing any of them :)

If you are worried at that you'll be ill, start taking ginger (Blackmores Travel Calm) pills the day before the cruise. By the time you're out at sea far enough to start thinking about being sick, they should have started working ;)

I've never felt seasick on any of my cruises ;) I did feel a little queasy one time in the showlounge but it was over as soon as I walked to the centre of the ship and focused on the horizon. I don't know who "they" are, but "they" say if you focus on the horizon (or something else that's NOT moving) you'll feel better in no time :)

This may sound weird, but I get a bit motion sick when playing playstation games LOL! I take a ginger pill and it passes very quickly. Try them, and see how you go.

If you do get very sick, Neil was saying at our Xmas do that Liz got the jab and it cost her $90. I'm sure you'll be having WAY too much fun to get sick though :D

Patches were withdrawn from sale in Australia several years ago. I think the shot on the is maxalon-it doesn't make you drowsy. If it is phenergen it makes most people drowsy but some go really hyper-like some kids after drinking red cordial!!

aliflem:(

Patches were withdrawn from sale in Australia several years ago. I think the shot on the is maxalon-it doesn't make you drowsy. If it is phenergen it makes most people drowsy but some go really hyper-like some kids after drinking red cordial!!

I've been told it is phenergen

Karen

Phenergan is shocking for making you drowsy I can only take haf the reccomended dosage and im still out in mintues and feel heavy the next day as well.

Maxalon makes much more sense perhaps mixed with stemetil as well.....they generally give me them combined for the nausea and vomiting that comes from my migraines.

This is the thread peoples that Dennis is referring to in his complaint.

He posted after I had offered some advice to Kirsten, highlighting the fact to get "qualified" advice, which he has reiterated in his complaint saying not to listen to scuttlebug. sorry, I was offended by that, I feel all advice on here is useful, it may work for you it may not.

Anyway, won't go on, but I think that Dennis showed his true colours, theres a lot of anger there in those words, those that know me know that I am far from self important, I am definately NOT an expert, I just love CC, the people on it, and the ones I have met.

Dennis I remember you calling Kym (skyrules) pedantic?? is it ok for you to have an opinion and no one else??

Sorry for putting this on here, but Dennis' complaint is locked!!

Chez

xx

I am going to have to do a search on Maxalon. I have never heard of it, and being a nurse anesthetist I am curious about the pro's/con's.

I wonder how it works?

I will find out and post soon.

I've been prescribed Maxalon by my GP for nausea.

Works a treat :D

I usually get it prescribed in conjuction with my migraine tablets. They kill the migraine but make me nauseas at the same time. Maxalon kills the nausea and then i'm good to go again :D

This is the thread peoples that Dennis is referring to in his complaint.

He posted after I had offered some advice to Kirsten, highlighting the fact to get "qualified" advice, which he has reiterated in his complaint saying not to listen to scuttlebug. sorry, I was offended by that, I feel all advice on here is useful, it may work for you it may not.

Anyway, won't go on, but I think that Dennis showed his true colours, theres a lot of anger there in those words, those that know me know that I am far from self important, I am definately NOT an expert, I just love CC, the people on it, and the ones I have met.

Dennis I remember you calling Kym (skyrules) pedantic?? is it ok for you to have an opinion and no one else??

Sorry for putting this on here, but Dennis' complaint is locked!!

Chez

xx

I also remember him "sitting" on me for having the audacity to call someone "newbie". So sorry to all the newbies for calling you newbies I didn't realise it was so offensive to some!

Oh well, he claims to be taking his bat and ball and going home anyway. See ya bye!

Archived