Tundra Wilderness Tour

lottorus

Can anyone recommend the Tundra Wilderness Tour out of

Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Sounds like a long day on a school bus, but I'm adventuresome. Is it worth the effort to do? Most people take the shorter Natural History Tour. Thoughts on either or both? Will be there in 34 days!:p

If you ste looking to see wildlife, most people on this board wouldn't recommend the natural history tour. I have been on the tundra wilderness tour and was happy with the wildlife that I saw. If you can take a park shuttle to eilson., it's cheaper and gets you a little further in the park for more chance of seeing wildlife. Not sure you can easily get to park shuttle if you are doing a cruisetour.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The park road is about 100 miles. The Natural History Tour only goes to Mile 30, so you will miss lots of opportunities for scenery and wildlife . Look at the attached map which shows the major stops and their milepost.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

If you have the time, the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center is a much better option. The VC is a lovely destination with awesome views if the mtn is out, exhibits, rangers, trails, running water, flush toilets and a bus dispatcher if you decide to catch a later bus back to the entrance.

Another advantage of this bus is that you can choose your own schedule; they depart every half hour so you can choose a departure that meets your needs.

Disadvantage .... you'll need to pick up a box lunch and drink at your hotel before you leave. Since you're staying at Princess you won't have a problem getting a ride from the hotel to the park.

In the past, Princess would refund the NHT and you could use the funds towards a transit instead.

This web site is also helpful:

https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/transits/eielson-visitor-center/

We just went on the Tundra Wilderness Tour a week ago today! It was awesome! We had a great bus driver/ tour guide and we learned so much from him. We saw lots of caribou, moose, marmot and different kinds of birds, but the best thing was getting within 32 miles of Mount Denali. What a spectacular sight! We were so lucky to have a warm, sunny day. I wouldn't bother with the shorter tour. Our driver showed us where the turn around spot is for that tour and most of the great things we saw were after that spot. Don't get me wrong, it is a long tour, but the day goes by quickly. There are several spots where you stop for bathroom breaks. This was one of the highlights of my trip. Be sure if you go to bring food with you. There is nowhere to buy food during the tour. Don't hesitate to go. This is an awesome tour.

I tried to post a couple pics, but it's not working. :confused::(:(

Can anyone recommend the Tundra Wilderness Tour out of

Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Sounds like a long day on a school bus, but I'm adventuresome. Is it worth the effort to do? Most people take the shorter Natural History Tour. Thoughts on either or both? Will be there in 34 days!:p

I was on the longer tour. I love wildlife, but it was a LONG day on an uncomfortable bus. My husband is 6'1" and he was very uncomfortable. If we went back to Denali, I don't think we would do the bus tour a second time.

So, on the food subject, I have read people saying they have bought a box lunch to bring on the tour with them, but have also read upon boarding the bus there is a snack box in the seat for each person. Are both necessary, or will 1 suffice for the day?

So, on the food subject, I have read people saying they have bought a box lunch to bring on the tour with them, but have also read upon boarding the bus there is a snack box in the seat for each person. Are both necessary, or will 1 suffice for the day?

They do provide you with a snack box, but for an 8 hour tour it's not enough food. Plus you might not like the things they put in there. I liked them fine, but my son was not a fan of some of the choices. We stayed at Denali Bluffs and they have a little cafe area in their lobby where you could buy the lunch. I'm assuming the other hotels have that option too, but you'd have to check. You could order the lunch (sandwich, chips, fruit and cookie I think it was) the day before, but we got there too late for that. It was easy enough to just get one that morning. Our tour started at 6:30 a.m. and they were open bright and early.

Here's a picture of this year's snack box. IMG_1013.JPG

We did the Tundra Wilderness tour last year the first week of June. We enjoyed it and the time went fast - the last hour did seem the longest though. We were on the morning bus and were gone about 8-1/2 hours, I think. If we go again we'd take the green bus so we could go further into the park. We happened to hit the Denali Lottery our day (according to our driver) in that we had exceptional nice weather, the mountain was fully viable and we saw all of the animal species that most people want to see - a wolf, bears, caribou, moose, and mountain goats. Our driver said he'd been doing the tours for about 12 years and could count on his fingers the number of times a group has been able to see everything. The bus could be uncomfortable if you're tall...

Good luck!

Why would anyone ever choose, to spend all that time in transit, getting to Denali, then NOT even get into the park?? The analogy of going to Disneyland and not getting past Main Street, turning around and leaving ??

"Most " people DO NOT just choose the NHT, many aren't even aware of what they are booking. A lot of these visitors are on packaged - lacking tours. No clue, they aren't getting into the park, and didn't do their homework.

You are way ahead with your planning. If it's not of interest to get into Denali, then I'd suggest using your time more wisely and go elsewhere. The Kenai peninsula as example is a treasure for touring opportunities.

For independent visitors, I never recommend the TWT. The Eielson shuttle at 1/3 the price, and getting to the visitor center is superior. Added, the freedom to get off the bus ar any point and return on any bus with open seats. (not that difficult to get) Ideal for those, who may have comfort issues over the TWT that you have to stay on. BUT, you can exit a TWT at any time, you want to RETURN out of the park, just get on any shuttle bus that passes, flagging them down.

Edited by Budget Queen

They do provide you with a snack box, but for an 8 hour tour it's not enough food. Plus you might not like the things they put in there. I liked them fine, but my son was not a fan of some of the choices. We stayed at Denali Bluffs and they have a little cafe area in their lobby where you could buy the lunch. I'm assuming the other hotels have that option too, but you'd have to check. You could order the lunch (sandwich, chips, fruit and cookie I think it was) the day before, but we got there too late for that. It was easy enough to just get one that morning. Our tour started at 6:30 a.m. and they were open bright and early.

Thanks for the info!! Still have a couple of weeks to decide what we are going to do for sure.

Here's a picture of this year's snack box. IMG_1013.JPG

Thanks for the picture! About what I would have guessed we would get.

Question for those who picked up a box lunch for TWT. Did you have any way to keep your sandwich chilled....like did you bring a little softside cooler with you? or did you just not worry about it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Don't worry about it... Unless the bus is not very full (ours had only a couple empty seats) there's not a lot of room for coolers and such. Everything will be okay.

If I remember correctly, my husband I bought a box lunch from our hotel, Grand Denali Lodge, to share and then each had a snack box, which worked out well for us. It was packed in a insulated bag the size of a larger than average brown lunch sack.

We spent 10 days on land pre-cruise this June.

Having taken the bus all 92 miles to the very back of Denali and staying 2 nights at the Backcountry Lodge before taking their bus all 92 miles back out, to us, there’s no such thing as too much time in Denali.

Go as far into the Park as your schedule allows.

If I remember correctly, my husband I bought a box lunch from our hotel, Grand Denali Lodge, to share and then each had a snack box, which worked out well for us. It was packed in a insulated bag the size of a larger than average brown lunch sack.

Yeah, we have talked about sharing a lunch, and then also having the box snack as well. Thanks for letting us know that is doable!

Question for those who picked up a box lunch for TWT. Did you have any way to keep your sandwich chilled....like did you bring a little softside cooler with you? or did you just not worry about it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I don't like not-refrigerated meats. :) So I always take a jar of peanut butter (jelly), depending on how many I'm with, a loaf of good bread. Plastic knife paper towels/napkins. By myself, I have sleeves of crackers and the jar. Works perfectly, easy to prepare and snack any time. Many times, at Eielson, I want to enjoy the area, not have to bother missing it. with eating messy sandwiches. I always, have various single serve snack items as well.

We just went on the Tundra Wilderness Tour a week ago today! It was awesome! We had a great bus driver/ tour guide and we learned so much from him. We saw lots of caribou, moose, marmot and different kinds of birds, but the best thing was getting within 32 miles of Mount Denali. What a spectacular sight! We were so lucky to have a warm, sunny day. I wouldn't bother with the shorter tour. Our driver showed us where the turn around spot is for that tour and most of the great things we saw were after that spot. Don't get me wrong, it is a long tour, but the day goes by quickly. There are several spots where you stop for bathroom breaks. This was one of the highlights of my trip. Be sure if you go to bring food with you. There is nowhere to buy food during the tour. Don't hesitate to go. This is an awesome tour.

I tried to post a couple pics, but it's not working. :confused::(:(

I agree. We did this tour a few weeks ago and it was one of the highlights of our 11 day trip