Anyone Have a SmartScoot?

shonya

can anyone answer a battery question? Im thinking of buying a SmartScoot - NCL says the battery needs to be a gel cell? Does that mean a SmartScoot won't be allowed on NCL ship?

They are worried about acid batteries which the Smartscoot battery is not. I have had no issues taking my Smartscoot on any airline or Celebrity cruise ship. If you want to be absolutely sure, go to Smartscoot.com and ask them to send you the battery specifications. You can then provide that info to the Special Needs department at NCL for a definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love my smart scoot. IT's super comfortable, it goes at least 12 miles, it's fast (my hubs can't keep up). I'm young (37), so for me, the look of it was important, it's simple and clean and comes with a luggage rack and a basket. I've added a horn and thought about streamers for fun. I hate being disabled but this scooter has given me so much of my independence back! It's easy to adjust the brakes, the rear wheels expand and narrow for ease getting through tight spaces. I can't say enough awesome stuff about the comfort of this awesome little scooter!

• 6 months later...

Yes, I have one. A little bit of background...

1) I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease 16 years ago; it sucks. ;-)

2) I had an iLiving i3 for 3 years, went on 4 cruises with it, no problems (if  I don't count the time it flipped over backwards disembarking a beautiful ship with a steep gangway with too much weight in the rear Oops.) The scooter was great until PD advanced so I, even with help from an angel of a wife, could no longer lift it into the car.

3) I spoke with Pam, and she was very helpful, providing me a local reference. The reference was pleased with his SS and let me try it.  I was sold.

4) About a year later (PD still sucks), I ordered an SS through a local dealer, American Mobility Center in Oceanside, CA. I wanted good service if needed.

5) I was not disappointed. Sam of AMC had the SS ready to go, assembled and tested when we picked it up. He loaded it in the car for us, and away we went. No drama, piece of cake unloading. Whew.

6) Next day Sam showed up with the two batteries I'd ordered for my home scoot, a ShopRider streamer, zero radius turn with full joystick, but too bulky for travel, fixed everything I could no longer fix on it, polished it and would not accept any money. AMC service is stellar. Sam is very, very good.

The SS is everything their website said it would be. Truth, no exaggeration.

Mike, K6MRM

• Like 1