Luftner Cruises, are they good?

chabre

I'd never heard of them. Looks like they're an Austrian line. Something I'm confused about...their ship are all named Amadeus something. I thought AMA Waterways morphed from Amadeus cruise lines, and their ships were all Amadeus. Can someone help me out here?

Roz

I recently attended an AMA presentation sponsored by a TA, and the rep said they used to be Amadeus. Maybe I misunderstood. I'm obviously confused. :confused:

Roz

Lüftner or Luftner river is the company, and Amadeus Flusskreuzfahrten appears to be the part that charters the ships from Lüftner. I do not fully get the company structure. The German company profile hopefully can well translate into English with google: https://www.lueftner-************/fileadmin/user_upload/04_DOCUMENTS/Diverse/DE_LUE-Firmenprofil.pdf

When you book through an online agent in Germany you book a river cruise of the company "Amadeus Flusskreuzfahrten".

AmaWaterways started their company with chartering Amadeus fleet ships, apparently from Lüftner, they were called Amadeus Waterways. The name was changed in 2008, according to a German forum.

But to the question whether they are good: German reviews are very favorable. I cannot post the websites I found as they are (or are connected to) online agents. Food on one of the websites rates as the best among the criteria.

notamermaid

we sailed Amadeus 3 summers ago: Nuremburg to Budapest on our TA's recommendation

LOVED them

cabin was great, slide down panaromic window was super

staff, food, tours were great

Waned to use them for next year Paris/Normandy but their Normandy day isn't to the beaches

in the US you book thru Amadeus and they are owned by Luftner

we sailed Amadeus 3 summers ago: Nuremburg to Budapest on our TA's recommendation

LOVED them

cabin was great' date=' slide down panaromic window was super

staff, food, tours were great

Waned to use them for next year Paris/Normandy but their Normandy day isn't to the beaches

in the US you book thru Amadeus and they are owned by Luftner[/quote']

Great!

Good to know. So, for US booking is Amadeus and European bookings directly thru Luftner.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
I was looking on the Luftner Cruises.

Any experience with them? I have not read many reviews or posts on Cruise Critic.

Thanks

In April I was on the Amadeus Silver as I was on a Smithsonian Journeys tour, the Waterways of Holland and Belgium. It was my first river cruise. The ship was clean as a whistle, the staff were friendly and food was good. There was a nice "library" at the rear of our deck from which you could get tea or coffee and cookies, sit and read or use one of two computers. Our trip was enhanced as we had lectures by a Smithsonian art historian. The passengers not associated with Smithsonian were part of three college alumni groups. It was a very educated group. Enjoyed many enriching conversations with fellow travelers.

• 2 months later...