Median age on UniWorld? Crystal? Scenic?

G&J25th

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at river cruises on one of the three above named companies. We want the all-inclusive ships. I have this "feeling" that some lines are more for the ....ah...hmmm...older generation types than others. ;)clear.png?emoji-wink-1685We just turned 60 and still active. I don't want to feel like the youngest or oldest couple on the cruise and I know that there are usually several different activity level options on all excursions, but curious if you all would weight in on what you think the median age was of any cruise you took with these three companies.

Thanks so much

I have been on 4 Uniworld cruises, so can only speak to them, but you would be very much in the "normal" age range. We tend to choose the "go-active" excursions, and do some of our own DIY active excursions (castle ruin hikes and church tower climbs)

Robin

We have done 4 Uniworld cruises. We are in early 60s. We feel we are right in the norm for Uniworld. I would estimate 20 % in 50s, 50% in 60s, 20% in 70s and the rest above 80 or below 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct. Viking clientele's seems too be older. Been on several cruises. That's not to say there is never anyone in their 20s or 30s or 40s, just very few.

I would agree with Phil on the age distribution. As a side note on my last Uniworld Cruise in Bordeaux there was a couple who were on their honeymoon in there late 20s/early 30s. They had a fantastic time mingling with us old timers. My impression of river cruising vs ocean is that while the average age might be older the cruisers are healthier and younger than their chronological age. We have enjoyed the bike tours Uniworld has arranged although they are tame if you are an avid biker.

We've only done one Uniworld cruise, but our experience was right in line with the others who have posted. We were 59 at the time, and it seemed like most of the other passengers were in our same demographic. A few were older (although still active and without any significant mobility issues) and a few were younger (including some honeymooners). To us, it was a perfect mix.

I would agree with Phil on the age distribution. As a side note on my last Uniworld Cruise in Bordeaux there was a couple who were on their honeymoon in there late 20s/early 30s. They had a fantastic time mingling with us old timers. My impression of river cruising vs ocean is that while the average age might be older the cruisers are healthier and younger than their chronological age. We have enjoyed the bike tours Uniworld has arranged although they are tame if you are an avid biker.

this would be true on Crystal as well

I'm a bit above 60, my wife a bit below. We've sailed with Scenic and Uniworld and in both cases felt like we were pretty close to 'avearge' age. I think you will fit right in and find your fellow passengers to be fun and engaging. Both lines are highly inclusive although we believe Scenic provided a slightly better experience. Also the folks from 'down under' were just so much fun.

I can't speak to Crystal but I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the companies you mentioned. Enjoy!

Paul

We were on Crystal Mozart in July & I was told by the Customer Service Manager that the average age for that sailing was 58. Since it’s still school holiday, there were some babies, toddlers, children & teenagers on board. I would say at least 10% so it brought down the average age quite a bit. They didn’t tell us the median, just the average age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Castles of the Rhine on the S.S. Antoinette and I would say at least 2/3 of the men wore sports jackets on the dress up nights. It probably varies from cruise to cruise. No one really pays attention. I just noticed since I had researched this before we left.

Do you wear a sports jacket on Uniworld dress-up nights? What was the percentage, since I understand many men don't wear one. Thanks.

It probably depends on the mix of passengers on your cruise, but when we did Castles Along the Rhine in June, 2017, my husband estimates that 50% of the men wore sportcoats at the welcome dinner, 25% at the farewell dinner, and only very few on the remaining nights.

To answer the original question, I'm in my mid-fifties and my husband will be turning 60 this year. We felt very comfortable on the Uniworld cruise. I would say we were in the lower third of the cruise in age range. However, we weren't the youngest and the older passengers were generally fit and fun.

Do you wear a sports jacket on Uniworld dress-up nights? What was the percentage, since I understand many men don't wear one. Thanks.

On our Uniworld cruises (4 now) I would say 25% at the most, on only the welcome and farewell dinners. Definitely a minority.

Robin

We were on Crystal Mozart in July & I was told by the Customer Service Manager that the average age for that sailing was 58. Since it’s still school holiday, there were some babies, toddlers, children & teenagers on board. I would say at least 10% so it brought down the average age quite a bit. They didn’t tell us the median, just the average age.

I think the average age would be a better indicator than the median, at least for this purpose.

Better would be the percentage of passengers in various age groups:

50 to 55

56 to 60

61 to 65

etc...

I think the average age would be a better indicator than the median, at least for this purpose.

Better would be the percentage of passengers in various age groups:

50 to 55

56 to 60

61 to 65

etc...

Actually, the median age is the better one to look at. It is the age at which half the passengers are older and half are younger. The average age is skewed by the single 95 year old or the 25 year old couple (or a child if there is one on board).

I agree with you that the age bands are the most helpful, but that is more information than anyone likely has available.

Not sure very many want to read about the pros and cons of various statistical tools on this forum, but...

I agree, the median is a better tool when extreme values can have a significant impact. But when the range of ages is limited either tool will do. Example: Assume a ship with 150 people and an average age of 65. Swap four 65 year-olds for four 100 year-olds and the mean (aka average), will increase to 66.

I am a terrible judge of ages, but my wife says the average age on our recent trip on AmaStella was 55 to 60 years old. Just one data point...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting to know that there were some that were so young (babies, toddlers, children....). Some lines have a minimum age - unless it is marketed as a "family" sailing. And, even then, am surprised that babies and toddlers were on board. That must have made it challenging for sleeping --> most boats do not have triple rooms - none with connecting rooms that I know of - and not sure (unless you have a large suite) how you would even get a play pen in and set up --> if that is how you are planning to put the children to sleep.

Wonder how the children liked it? Usually no entertainment geared to children.

Fran

No one else has said this but, to me age doesn’t matter. We have been on 8 river cruises and we find that our fellow travelers are well traveled interesting people. As I have told a friend who has only done ocean cruising, on ocean cruises will find passengers needing wheel chairs and walkers, but not on river cruises.

We have cruised both Uniworld and Crystal. We found the age of passengers to be mainly in the 65-85 range with some younger depending on the timing of the cruise. For unknown reasons all of our Uniworld trips have had passengers with assisted devices such as wheel chairs, and walkers, not so on the Crystal cruise. We have cruised with multi-generational families , singles and couples.

We have cruised both Uniworld and Crystal. We found the age of passengers to be mainly in the 65-85 range with some younger depending on the timing of the cruise. For unknown reasons all of our Uniworld trips have had passengers with assisted devices such as wheel chairs, and walkers, not so on the Crystal cruise. We have cruised with multi-generational families , singles and couples.

Shoeman - that's interesting. Our Uniworld cruise had a younger/more mobile demographic. Can only remember one passenger in a wheel chair and none with walkers. And although I'm not the best judge of age, I would guess very few were over 75.

Shoeman - that's interesting. Our Uniworld cruise had a younger/more mobile demographic. Can only remember one passenger in a wheel chair and none with walkers. And although I'm not the best judge of age, I would guess very few were over 75.
I've been on 2 Uniworld cruises, and there was 1 person using a cane. No walkers or wheelchairs.

Roz

Sent from my SM-T387V using Forums mobile app