Engine noise on Viking Longships

RCnotcola

I have a Viking river cruise on the Rhine on a longship booked in 2020. I'm in room 125 in the lowest level of the ship. I see that this room is the closest to the engine compartment. I'm a little concerned that I might hear the engine while sleeping. Has anybody had problems with the engine noises with rooms that are close to it?

Hello,

Room 125 is actually next to the crew rooms, and the engine should be further back. On our first Viking cruise, we were close to it, but didn’t hear a thing. Each of our other cruises with Viking have been in the “Aquarium Class” rooms and engine noise has never been an issue.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

We were in cabin 106 on a Viking Rhine cruise last month. We didn't hear any engine noise, but because the river was so low we heard a lot of noise from silt and gravel being kicked up from the bottom. It wasn't a constant noise, though. It was also noisy when we went through some of the locks. Nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and wouldn't hesitate to book an "aquarium class" cabin again.

We were in cabin 339 on one cruise and you could definitely hear engine noise (or some other loud banging noises) at night in our cabin. We got a great deal on that cruise and it was the last cabin available so I didn’t stress about it too much.

Anyone else have problems in cabin 339? I just booked that room as it was the last balcony left and have been having misgiving ever since.

We were in cabin 106 on a Viking Rhine cruise last month. We didn't hear any engine noise, but because the river was so low we heard a lot of noise from silt and gravel being kicked up from the bottom. It wasn't a constant noise, though. It was also noisy when we went through some of the locks. Nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and wouldn't hesitate to book an "aquarium class" cabin again.

Ryan...we leave on the 20th of this month. Noticed you mentioned water level. Were you able to sail entire portion? Were you on the the Rhine?

We were in 122 on the Viking Kvasir in July. I didn't notice any engine noise, but sometimes there were scraping noises especially when going through locks. It didn't bother me, though, and my husband didn't complain about it either.

Before the cruise, I was concerned about noise related to the crew quarters and their stairway to the upper decks being right behind us. We never heard anything from them at all - except when we happened to meet one there and said Hello!

So we too have decided that we're happy to stay in the aquarium cabins and have extra money for optional excursions and souvenirs!

Ryan...we leave on the 20th of this month. Noticed you mentioned water level. Were you able to sail entire portion? Were you on the the Rhine?

Yes, scLewis we were on the Rhine and we were able to sail the entire way (Amsterdam to Basel). Have a great trip!

Sclerosis

Don’t worry, just bring some good ear plugs and you’ll sleep like a baby. The noise by no means affected our love for Viking. We’ve since taken another cruise and are booked for Provence next October.

Thanks for the fast response! I hesitate to change to a different cabin as there are no other veranda cabins available this week. I could save a little money and go to French Balcony (we are not getting any better deal on this room than any other balcony cabin would be), but we really wanted to treat ourselves to a veranda. Did you hear much noise from the public area above?

Patty

We were in 337 last year and have booked the same cabin (on a different Longship/itinerary) for next year. Noise from above was never an issue as it's aft of the walking track and the seating area so without significant traffic overhead during the day, and we didn't hear anything at all from below, e.g. banging/engine noises as mentioned in post 3.

When you think about it, Viking would have been mad to have put the most expensive suites above the engines if there was any danger of their premium customers being seriously disturbed by mechanical noise.

Edited by kentchris

We were in 337 last year and have booked the same cabin (on a different Longship/itinerary) for next year. Noise from above was never an issue as it's aft of the walking track and the seating area so without significant traffic overhead during the day, and we didn't hear anything at all from below, e.g. banging/engine noises as mentioned in post 3.

When you think about it, Viking would have been mad to have put the most expensive suites above the engines if there was any danger of their premium customers being seriously disturbed by mechanical noise.

Thanks! That was my thought, but I found it odd that on nearly every sailing that had a veranda available, it was 339. The Viking rep told me he thought it was because it was the farthest away from the dining room, which may be true, but it seemed funny to me. He assured me it was quiet, but I wouldn't expect him to tell me that it was noisy, even if that was true. Good to hear that you had a good experience!

Thanks for the fast response! I hesitate to change to a different cabin as there are no other veranda cabins available this week. I could save a little money and go to French Balcony (we are not getting any better deal on this room than any other balcony cabin would be), but we really wanted to treat ourselves to a veranda. Did you hear much noise from the public area above?

Patty

No noise from the public area above—and that’s without earplugs! Take the veranda!