Honey wine

I know someone that brought honey wine on a cruise and was hassled over it by security when trying to get on the ship. He eventually convinced security it was NOT an issue. But it required a lot of explanation and was a real hassle.

I am interested in bringing this honey wine on the ship. The 750ml is a $65 bottle. The problem is that it DOES NOT SAY "wine" anywhere on the bottle.

https://www.winetimenow.net/store/product/schramms-black-agnes-mead-39-99-while-supplies-last/

The always hard-to-get “Black Agnes” mead by Schramm’s is available in very limited quantities. Delicious, black currant-infused honey wine, carefully crafted by these Ferndale, Michigan mead masters!

I called RCI customer service and asked if there was some way that I could get a pre-clearance noted on my account to avoid any hassles at security. Oddly, the CSR said that this is only customer service and they have no idea what the ship will do. I think its crazy that customer service acts like they are completely separate from RCI and that there is nowhere to call to get an answer. They basically just tell you that you run a risk of losing your bottle if its not wine. They cannot guarantee that my bottle will be returned to me.

A couple of questions:

(1) With honey wine becoming more popular, has anyone had any issues or experience with honey wine specifically? Thinking about similar situations, I wonder if anyone has ever had any issues with sangria for example.

(2) Is there really no one at RCI that I can talk to about this?

(3) Should I try to carry it on or should I check it? Pros versus cons below:

(4) What happens in the carry-on security check? Do they have any mandatory rules like making you take out bottles? Or do they just typically go by the x-ray?

Pros and cons for checking it in my baggage: I feel like I have a better chance of getting it returned if I check it. At least it will be on the ship. I have no idea what happens to stuff if it gets taken at security before you get on the ship. Do rum runners and other contraband normally get returned at the end of the cruise when it gets taken from your checked bag?

Pros and cons for carry-on: Like the person I mentioned at the beginning of this message, at least I get a chance to explain, show some additional information, and basically make my case that it is wine. It doesn't sound like I have that opportunity if its taken from a checked bag. If its taken by security at the port as part of my carry on, will I ever get it back? Has anyone ever not gotten something back when they returned from their cruise? Is it just a scare tactic when RCI customer service says they don't know what security will do with it? It's not clear if they make you take out all your bottles or if they typically just x-ray scan?

PS If my wife didnt want to do a cruise so bad, I wouldn't ever do a cruise because of the games that they play. They scare tactics and vague answers about stuff is ridiculous.

Edited by cruiz2018

... Is there really no one at RCI that I can talk to about this? ...

I think for once a customer service agent who was willing to tell the truth and gave you accurate info. The people who screen carry-ons at the cruise terminal are 3rd party contractors and I suspect there is no way to communicate accurately with them to treat one particular guest as a special case. The customer service agent also does not have control over what the security people onboard will do. So, I think it's accurate that they indicated they cannot predict or control what will happen in your case.

I suspect that you will have no problem because the bottle looks exactly like wine to the terminal security scanners. I cannot remember the last time a security scanner asked us to show them a bottle of wine we had in a carry-on. While putting the bottle in checked bags will likely get the bottle on the ship, security is also more likely to examine the bottle.

If you put it in checked baggage, you run the risk of losing it. While they might hold the bottle until the last morning, they are under no obligation to do so. And discovered rum runners and their contents go right in the trash.

As Bob noted, customer service has absolutely no idea what third party security may or may not do. Obviously, you really don’t want to go on a cruise - you really can’t live without this stuff for a week? Bringing two bottles of wine per cabin has not always been a privilege and can be revoked at any time.

Suggestion - see if your wife has a good friend who might want to go with her and you can stay home with your honey wine. I’m sure your wife will have a much better time.

I think for once a customer service agent who was willing to tell the truth and gave you accurate info. The people who screen carry-ons at the cruise terminal are 3rd party contractors and I suspect there is no way to communicate accurately with them to treat one particular guest as a special case. The customer service agent also does not have control over what the security people onboard will do. So, I think it's accurate that they indicated they cannot predict or control what will happen in your case.

I suspect that you will have no problem because the bottle looks exactly like wine to the terminal security scanners. I cannot remember the last time a security scanner asked us to show them a bottle of wine we had in a carry-on. While putting the bottle in checked bags will likely get the bottle on the ship, security is also more likely to examine the bottle.

Here is what the bottle looks like:

bVqFsybVqFsy

bVqFsy

imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybeercollectibles.com%2Fuploads%2FIMG_0525-(2).JPG&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybeercollectibles.com%2Flisting%2Fschramms-mead-black-agnes-batch-8-new-label-size-750ml%2F440240&docid=PqRDus9453xUGM&tbnid=6x68gkwXBGUe7M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiNhKiL4s7bAhVq0oMKHZCnDv0QMwg5KAAwAA..i&w=1200&h=1600&itg=1&bih=677&biw=1455&q=750ml%20black%20agnes&ved=0ahUKEwiNhKiL4s7bAhVq0oMKHZCnDv0QMwg5KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

If you put it in checked baggage, you run the risk of losing it. While they might hold the bottle until the last morning, they are under no obligation to do so. And discovered rum runners and their contents go right in the trash.

As Bob noted, customer service has absolutely no idea what third party security may or may not do. Obviously, you really don’t want to go on a cruise - you really can’t live without this stuff for a week? Bringing two bottles of wine per cabin has not always been a privilege and can be revoked at any time.

Suggestion - see if your wife has a good friend who might want to go with her and you can stay home with your honey wine. I’m sure your wife will have a much better time.

I too presumed OP was a man and I thought "honey wine" was his wife until I read on. Can not imagine security giving a hoot as long as it looked like a wine bottle and had not been opened.

I looked at the picture and I don't think you should have a problem, providing the bottle is sealed. My advice is to put it in your carry on bag and walk it through security when you first board the ship. Putting it in checked luggage means you may be called down to security to open your bag when they scan and see your bottle.

....PS If my wife didnt want to do a cruise so bad, I wouldn't ever do a cruise because of the games that they play. They scare tactics and vague answers about stuff is ridiculous.

^ My bigger concern is actually your attitude about this upcoming cruise. No offense, but you seem a little bent out of shape and upset already.... what if something bigger actually happens? How will you react? They say a good way to handle a vacation/travel in general is not to sweat the small stuff - to pick your battles, to let the little things slide. You've worked yourself up into a lather already about one bottle of wine. ;) I truly hope you and your wife can enjoy this cruise vacation because Royal has a great product and cruising is a wonderful way to see the world. :)

Best to you.

I've been through security at least 5 times with my 2 bottles and they've never made me take them out and inspect them.

If it was me, I'd get a screw-top bottle of wine, drink it, and put the honey wine in that. As long as it looks like regular wine I highly doubt they would notice.

+1 seems like you're already peeved about having to go on a cruise without the possibility of <gasp> your mead so why even bother. Totally wrong attitude for cruising or life for that matter.

A lot of text over a bottle of honey wine.

Carry it on. At least then you can argue the point ref alcohol content. Rather than being just summoned to the naughty room.

We carried on Champagne and port last cruise. Fully expecting to have to give up the port.

But they didn’t care.

Xrayed and past on.

Enjoyed the port in be library most nights :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of text over a bottle of honey wine.

Carry it on. At least then you can argue the point ref alcohol content. Rather than being just summoned to the naughty room.

And worst case scenario is they take it and you are out a bottle of mead. Shrug your shoulders and mutter to yourself for a few seconds, then go on and enjoy your vacation.

You've worked yourself up into a lather already about one bottle of wine. ;) I truly hope you and your wife can enjoy this cruise vacation because Royal has a great product and cruising is a wonderful way to see the world. :)

Best to you.

Or maybe two. :D

I know someone that brought honey wine on a cruise and was hassled over it by security when trying to get on the ship. He eventually convinced security it was NOT an issue. But it required a lot of explanation and was a real hassle.

I am interested in bringing this honey wine on the ship. The 750ml is a $65 bottle. The problem is that it DOES NOT SAY "wine" anywhere on the bottle.

https://www.winetimenow.net/store/product/schramms-black-agnes-mead-39-99-while-supplies-last/

The always hard-to-get “Black Agnes” mead by Schramm’s is available in very limited quantities. Delicious, black currant-infused honey wine, carefully crafted by these Ferndale, Michigan mead masters!

I called RCI customer service and asked if there was some way that I could get a pre-clearance noted on my account to avoid any hassles at security. Oddly, the CSR said that this is only customer service and they have no idea what the ship will do. I think its crazy that customer service acts like they are completely separate from RCI and that there is nowhere to call to get an answer. They basically just tell you that you run a risk of losing your bottle if its not wine. They cannot guarantee that my bottle will be returned to me.

A couple of questions:

(1) With honey wine becoming more popular, has anyone had any issues or experience with honey wine specifically? Thinking about similar situations, I wonder if anyone has ever had any issues with sangria for example.

(2) Is there really no one at RCI that I can talk to about this?

(3) Should I try to carry it on or should I check it? Pros versus cons below:

(4) What happens in the carry-on security check? Do they have any mandatory rules like making you take out bottles? Or do they just typically go by the x-ray?

Pros and cons for checking it in my baggage: I feel like I have a better chance of getting it returned if I check it. At least it will be on the ship. I have no idea what happens to stuff if it gets taken at security before you get on the ship. Do rum runners and other contraband normally get returned at the end of the cruise when it gets taken from your checked bag?

Pros and cons for carry-on: Like the person I mentioned at the beginning of this message, at least I get a chance to explain, show some additional information, and basically make my case that it is wine. It doesn't sound like I have that opportunity if its taken from a checked bag. If its taken by security at the port as part of my carry on, will I ever get it back? Has anyone ever not gotten something back when they returned from their cruise? Is it just a scare tactic when RCI customer service says they don't know what security will do with it? It's not clear if they make you take out all your bottles or if they typically just x-ray scan?

PS If my wife didnt want to do a cruise so bad, I wouldn't ever do a cruise because of the games that they play. They scare tactics and vague answers about stuff is ridiculous.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Is what you are talking about Mead or actual Honey Wine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

The link OP provided specifically says Mead. https://www.winetimenow.net/store/product/schramms-black-agnes-mead-39-99-while-supplies-last/

Everytime I have heard someone use the term "honey wine" they were actually talking about mead. Is there a different product that is actually "honey wine"?

The link OP provided specifically says Mead. https://www.winetimenow.net/store/product/schramms-black-agnes-mead-39-99-while-supplies-last/

Everytime I have heard someone use the term "honey wine" they were actually talking about mead. Is there a different product that is actually "honey wine"?

yes there is a difference between mead and honey wine. and I wouldn't pay $65 for a bottle of either, but that's just me

Hmmm, sounds like the difference between mead and honey wine is a bit murky, though honey wine is consumed younger and has a generally lower ratio of honey to other ingredients. https://www.wellpreserved.ca/whats-the-difference-between-mead-and-honey-wine-tej/ Interesting though, I had no idea honey wine was big in Ethiopia. You learn something new every day!