Government issued ID ?

T.Swift

On another thread I was reading over the Fun Times they posted and on port day it said to keep your Sail and Sign card as well as your Government issued ID with you at all time. Can you take your drivers license with you instead of your passport when you go to port?

• 1 month later...
On another thread I was reading over the Fun Times they posted and on port day it said to keep your Sail and Sign card as well as your Government issued ID with you at all time. Can you take your drivers license with you instead of your passport when you go to port?

I have an "Enhanced" Driver License. It is supposed to be good for entry to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries - but it is not good for air travel to the US. You must have a passport to enter the US by air. A regular driver license doesn't count for entry to the US, it must be "Enhanced." I mention this because when I was checking in for a cruise to Canada from NY, I asked if my Enhanced License was enough documentation for the cruise. The agent said that it was but if I missed the ship, or had a personal or health issue the might require me to travel back home by air, I wouldn't be able to do it without my passport.

I mention this because taking only your license when you leave the ship will get you back onto the ship but if you miss the ship or have an accident that requires your return to the US, things can get very complicated for you.

I have an "Enhanced" Driver License. It is supposed to be good for entry to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries - but it is not good for air travel to the US. You must have a passport to enter the US by air. A regular driver license doesn't count for entry to the US, it must be "Enhanced." I mention this because when I was checking in for a cruise to Canada from NY, I asked if my Enhanced License was enough documentation for the cruise. The agent said that it was but if I missed the ship, or had a personal or health issue the might require me to travel back home by air, I wouldn't be able to do it without my passport.

I mention this because taking only your license when you leave the ship will get you back onto the ship but if you miss the ship or have an accident that requires your return to the US, things can get very complicated for you.

Ship security will get your passport out of your Cabin safe. Friend and her sister missed the ship in Juneau, HAL security gave the Port Agent their passports and Info how to get to Vancouver.