Anytime Dining Question

redbaron

I do not see any problem here if people just accept you get what you pay for. Select fare you get the dining you wanted. If there are places left then why should saver fares not be allocated to that dining option? However to book saver with the belief you will certainly be able to swap is naive, if there are spaces you will be able to, if not well it should not be a problem you got what you paid for. Instead just standing in the corridor to the MDR for a period of time I have seen some great tantrums when folks can not get the dining they prefer and they get very abusive towards the staff. No need no reason.

Seen many people using excuses on many forums that due to medical problems if they are allocated 2nd sitting and cannot change it then they will have to eat in the buffet. IMO tough if it is that important you eat early then you should book Select.

Saver fares do not allow you to choose a particular cabin, there's no OBC, shuttle buses are chargeable and you have no guaranteed dining option. And that's precisely what you get - no more, no less. It's not just the dining option.

If someone happens to be allowed to change to Freedom dining, they still didn't receive it as a guaranteed part of the package, so they still got exactly what they paid for. It's just a bonus, just as it would be if they weren't charged the shuttle fare (which also happens sometimes).

How do you feel about people being upgraded to maybe a suite that they haven't paid for? Same principle - just someone benefiting by a stroke of luck, but not adversely affecting anyone else.

OBC is not free you are paying for it in the higher Select fare and regarding shuttle buses more and more ports are now supplying shuttle buses which are chargeable and which the cruise line have no control over and they charge everybody.

Sometimes we book select fare as we did on our last cruise in April and other times Saver as we have for our cruise next week.

I can honestly say that if I am on a Select fare I could not care one little bit if someone on a Saver fare gets the dining of their choice. It is no skin off my nose and if it means they are happier with their cruise then good luck to them.

To feel in some way aggrieved is at best mean spirited.

Sometimes we book select fare as we did on our last cruise in April and other times Saver as we have for our cruise next week.

I can honestly say that if I am on a Select fare I could not care one little bit if someone on a Saver fare gets the dining of their choice. It is no skin off my nose and if it means they are happier with their cruise then good luck to them.

To feel in some way aggrieved is at best mean spirited.

Precisely. I book Select because I really want to know exactly which cabin I'll be getting, and I'm not prepared to run the risk of not getting Freedom Dining. But if someone booking Saver gets to eat the way they want to eat, so what? As you say, good luck to them! Some people can be very petty.

I did point out in my post that this is our first cruise with P&O and I was asking for a little advice. If we don’t get Freedom we certainly won’t be hanging around outside the MDR hoping someone will change with us nor will we be abusive to the staff. We knew exactly what we would get with a Saver fare, however the cruise personaliser allows you to indicate a preference. Ours is Freedom. If the responses to my question (from some posters) are typical of the welcome to new P&O cruisers it doesn’t bode well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did point out in my post that this is our first cruise with P&O and I was asking for a little advice. If we don’t get Freedom we certainly won’t be hanging around outside the MDR hoping someone will change with us nor will we be abusive to the staff. We knew exactly what we would get with a Saver fare, however the cruise personaliser allows you to indicate a preference. Ours is Freedom. If the responses to my question (from some posters) are typical of the welcome to new P&O cruisers it doesn’t bode well.

Divvint worry Bonny lad. You will find none of this on board. BTW it’s not your falt you are on the wrang side of the river.

If you get second sitting club dining and want freedom just have a word with the Maitre D in freedom and if he can help he will.

Gan Canny

Marra

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most people on here are extremely helpful however there are some, shall we say robust opinions, on certain subjects.

There is however none of that on board, people are on holiday, happy and friendly. Which ever dining seating you get I am sure you will enjoy the experience and in spite of the rhetoric above P&O do try to give people what they have requested as they want to keep there customers happy if they can.

We have booked both select and saver fares and when on saver have just taken the allocation we were given and 99% of the time it was the one we requested. The time it was not we just embraced the change and tried something different.

Have a wonderful cruise and don’t be put of coming on here for information, someone will always be able to help you out.

Most people on here are extremely helpful however there are some, shall we say robust opinions, on certain subjects.

There is however none of that on board, people are on holiday, happy and friendly. Which ever dining seating you get I am sure you will enjoy the experience and in spite of the rhetoric above P&O do try to give people what they have requested as they want to keep there customers happy if they can.

We have booked both select and saver fares and when on saver have just taken the allocation we were given and 99% of the time it was the one we requested. The time it was not we just embraced the change and tried something different.

Have a wonderful cruise and don’t be put of coming on here for information, someone will always be able to help you out.

I agree with you.

On board when you are talking face to face with people everyone is lovely which is the way it should be all the time.

Divvint worry Bonny lad. You will find none of this on board. BTW it’s not your falt you are on the wrang side of the river.

If you get second sitting club dining and want freedom just have a word with the Maitre D in freedom and if he can help he will.

Gan Canny

Marra

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why aye man you tell him wor kid DaiB.

Your advice is always spot on.

OBC is not free you are paying for it in the higher Select fare and regarding shuttle buses more and more ports are now supplying shuttle buses which are chargeable and which the cruise line have no control over and they charge everybody.

In fairness, docco did not say that OBC is free, just that it is not included in a Saver fare.

Having said that, for our upcoming TA on Britannia, when OBC was taken into account the Select fare was the better deal! Obviously not always the case but, hey, result!

Of course, it will no doubt get eaten into by the auto grats but let's not start on that subject :rolleyes:

In fairness, docco did not say that OBC is free, just that it is not included in a Saver fare.

Having said that, for our upcoming TA on Britannia, when OBC was taken into account the Select fare was the better deal! Obviously not always the case but, hey, result!

Of course, it will no doubt get eaten into by the auto grats but let's not start on that subject :rolleyes:

We pick select mainly to book the cabin we want.

Freedom dining is a plus and yes obc covers gratuities but we always tip extra too.

Our 7.5% loyalty discount on onboard spend only applies once obc is used up.

You’ll be just fine. Envy is a corrosive emotion but fortunately it only afflicts a small number of people and you’re not likely to meet them.

Talk nicely to the Maitre d’ and he’ll do what he can to help. I sincerely hope you’re able to make the change but even if not you’ll still enjoy the holiday. We’ve met some lovely people on P&O and I’m sure you will too.

What are the chances of switching from freedom to club but only for a table for two? Booked select and picked freedom but only as my son is too shy to share a table and they couldn't guarantee a table for two.

I would say that the chance of swapping to club from freedom and getting a table for 2 is pretty low since there are a limited number of them on every ship. We always book select and book early but we now request freedom dining because we have had a few occasions when we have been assigned a 6 or 8 top tables in club when we have requested a table for 2.

We actually prefer freedom now for the flexibility it allows us.

I would say that the chance of swapping to club from freedom and getting a table for 2 is pretty low since there are a limited number of them on every ship. We always book select and book early but we now request freedom dining because we have had a few occasions when we have been assigned a 6 or 8 top tables in club when we have requested a table for 2.

We actually prefer freedom now for the flexibility it allows us.

Thanks for the info, I thought as much. Will stick to freedom then :)