Need help with Juneau excursion planning

srk70

We will be in Juneau in early June - we'll be in port from 7:30am - 8:00 pm. We are planning on doing the Mendenhall Glacier & float trip, a helicopter/dog sledding excursion and the tram. Having never been there before I'm unsure of the best order to do these things in, or if it even makes a difference. Anyone have any preferences or advice on this?

Not knowing the times of each excursion it is hard for us to recommend. I would say, do the tram last. You have 2 great things planned and may just want to chill after these and forget the tram. I have read it can be especially busy at certain times, and I would hate for you to be late to something else because of the wait up top.

Not knowing the times of each excursion it is hard for us to recommend. I would say, do the tram last. You have 2 great things planned and may just want to chill after these and forget the tram. I have read it can be especially busy at certain times, and I would hate for you to be late to something else because of the wait up top.

Thanks- I definitely understand and agree with your tram recommendation. The float trip lasts app 3.5 hrs and they have options starting at 8:30. The helicopter/dog sled tours are 1.5 hrs and have hourly options. I guess I'm just not sure if there is a benefit or a drawback to being in one place or the other in the morning due to lighting, etc or anything along those lines with timing throughout the day.

I’ve heard the Mendenhall Glacier & float trip is pretty lame. We were sitting in the back yard of some friends in Juneau and watched one of their rafts pass by. You’ll see lots of back yards.

oh wow...good to know!

The float trip is probably my least favorite of 50+ excursions I've done in Alaska. I was almost bored (which is pretty much impossible in Alaska unless you're sitting in the Anchorage airport) and hypothermic after the first hour or so, since it was cold, rainy, and windy and they gave me wet boots to put on, which made staying warm pretty much impossible.

• 4 months later...
The float trip is probably my least favorite of 50+ excursions I've done in Alaska. I was almost bored (which is pretty much impossible in Alaska unless you're sitting in the Anchorage airport) and hypothermic after the first hour or so, since it was cold, rainy, and windy and they gave me wet boots to put on, which made staying warm pretty much impossible.

What excursions do you recommend??? Looking to book for Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Icy Strait.....please:):)

What excursions do you recommend??? Looking to book for Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Icy Strait.....please:):)

Please start your own questions. But, first, your question is way too broad. Look over your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests (frankly way past, just "wildlife and scenery"). Figure out your budget and reasons why you are going to Alaska and what you want out of your trip. Then post more specific questions.

Otherwise there are hundreds of "recommendations for tours". ;)

Easy - just rent a car from Juneau car rentals - drive up to Mendenhall and do the walk to Nugget Falls on your own time schedule, then drive up to Shrine of St Therese and Eagle Beach ( maybe 40 miles total)......can stop at the Salmon Hatchery......

eclue:cool: