Baltimore Port and Embarktion

davy jones

We will be driving to the Baltimore Port on I-95 South for embarkation on a weekday morning.

Some questions:

1. How is traffic around 10 AM? Is rush hour over or can I expect some delays?

2. If we arrive at the pier between 10:00 and 10:30, what can we expect? Is it too early?

3. What time does boarding typically begin?

Traffic is awful ANY time of day....allow for slow traffic and delays. Even at 2am, traffic can be god-awful.

Aim to arrive around 11am...that way, boarding will have begun, and you won't have to stand around, waiting.

Traffic is awful ANY time of day....allow for slow traffic and delays. Even at 2am, traffic can be god-awful.

Aim to arrive around 11am...that way, boarding will have begun, and you won't have to stand around, waiting.

We had no traffic issues at all, breezed thru the tunnel and in the port in 5 minutes. A little congested in the terminal but we were on the ship within an hour.

Agree with arriving at 11:00. Very easy process

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The person who posted this is from Fredericksburg, Va and would be approaching Baltimore from the south and may be using I-495 Capital Beltway (Washington) for part of the journey. Anything related to I-95 from the south is problematic.

You would be approaching either from the west or north.

We have never had trouble approaching the port/terminal the times we have come in from the west or northwest (as long as we don’t drop down into the D.C. area.)

We usually arrive as early as 10:00am and had to wait before the parking lot opens and never had a problem. Arriving at 11ish should be fine.

• Like 1

Do they have the machines like we have at the port in NJ?

Not when we were last there. We had to drive to a booth and pay an attendant. The lot is, well, a lot, not a garage, and right next to the terminal.

We will be driving to the Baltimore Port on I-95 South for embarkation on a weekday morning.

Some questions:

1. How is traffic around 10 AM? Is rush hour over or can I expect some delays?

2. If we arrive at the pier between 10:00 and 10:30, what can we expect? Is it too early?

If you are coming from the Philadelphia/Wilmington area, there are HOV lanes on I-95, that help cut down on the traffic but usually heavy traffic until about 9:00AM. If you are coming from the Harrisburg/York area traffic will be bad too.

If you are in the Baltimore area anytime after 9:00AM you should be OK.

Some questions:

1. How is traffic around 10 AM? Is rush hour over or can I expect some delays? traffic sucks 24/7.

2. If we arrive at the pier between 10:00 and 10:30, what can we expect? Is it too early? we have boarded as early as 1030 . get there before 9, though and you most likely will not be allowed in until the parking lot has cleared.

as I sad we have been an board as early as 1030. usually its around 11 though.

Not when we were last there. We had to drive to a booth and pay an attendant. The lot is, well, a lot, not a garage, and right next to the terminal.

This has been our experience as well. We leave home around 9 to avoid rush hour and arrive at noon. No lines, no waiting. Quick lunch and cabins are ready.

If you are coming from the Philadelphia/Wilmington area, there are HOV lanes on I-95, that help cut down on the traffic but usually heavy traffic until about 9:00AM. If you are coming from the Harrisburg/York area traffic will be bad too.

If you are in the Baltimore area anytime after 9:00AM you should be OK.

My last memory is those HOV lanes are ezpass, and you have to pay from White Marsh on down to a little past I-695.

We had no traffic issues at all, breezed thru the tunnel and in the port in 5 minutes. A little congested in the terminal but we were on the ship within an hour.

Agree with arriving at 11:00. Very easy process

The person who posted this is from Fredericksburg, Va and would be approaching Baltimore from the south and may be using I-495 Capital Beltway (Washington) for part of the journey. Anything related to I-95 from the south is problematic.

You would be approaching either from the west or north.

We have never had trouble approaching the port/terminal the times we have come in from the west or northwest (as long as we don’t drop down into the D.C. area.)

We usually arrive as early as 10:00am and had to wait before the parking lot opens and never had a problem. Arriving at 11ish should be fine.

I agree that driving down from the north is a very different kettle of fish from driving up from the south. Ugh.

Arriving 11-ish is ideal, IMO. I often arrive later, just to avoid rush hour traffic in Philadelphia. The last time I did that, there were four - count 'em, four - accidents on I-95 heading south, and while I was far from the last person to board, it was pretty late. :eek:

10AM is after Baltimore rush hour. No problems coming from the north.

There are NO HOV lanes. There are EzPass Express lanes, but I find they are great for having non-locals fund my state. :D I find I can travel as fast, or faster, in the non-Express lanes. Oh, and the police patrol the Express lanes more heavily.

Last time we arrived about 10:30. Checked in, waited 20 minutes or so to board. I like to board early, as I like to get started on my vacation. I use a car service (I am not that far away), so we get dropped off right in front of the terminal, and picked up right beside it.

YES, bring cash for parking. MUCH faster. $15 per night. So 9 night cruise is $135.

The important thing to remember is as you approach the Fort McHenry Tunnel is make sure you are in your FAR RIGHT LANE. Because about 100 yards after you exit the tunnel is your exit.

Also slow down when you are on the exit ramp as the transportation police have been know to stop see speeders .

The only traffic issues you may have on I95 is the road consruction that is south of the Baltimore Beltway around mile marker 61 or so to the toll plaza. They may close a lane to do work. Also watch your speed as they do have speed cameras in the construction area just south of Eastern Ave.

Also when you travel home there is also a camera on the north side just across from each other. Sorta easy to spot as they hide in front of the port potty on the side of the road just pass the eletronic speed limit sign.

Originally from NJ, have lived in Northern Virginia for a decade and travel to Bmore via I-95 many different times, days of the week and times of year. Everyone on here is 100% right down to the hint of when to exit and construction. Since you’re coming from PA it will be a breeze. :)

Sorry forgot the whole reason I posted lol.

Check google maps for traffic. You can pick your time or day and even date and they give a historical estimate of traffic (usually on a time frame like 50 min - 70 min for example). I use this for my travels back to Jersey for the holidays a lot to try and avoid certain roads and certain times. It’s almost always accurate with the exception of an unforeseen accident which could happen to anyone on any journey.

Have a blast!!!

The only traffic issues you may have on I95 is the road consruction that is south of the Baltimore Beltway around mile marker 61 or so to the toll plaza. They may close a lane to do work. Also watch your speed as they do have speed cameras in the construction area just south of Eastern Ave.

Also when you travel home there is also a camera on the north side just across from each other. Sorta easy to spot as they hide in front of the port potty on the side of the road just pass the eletronic speed limit sign.

Another note to self: Speed limits strictly enforced in pier area.

Originally from NJ, have lived in Northern Virginia for a decade and travel to Bmore via I-95 many different times, days of the week and times of year. Everyone on here is 100% right down to the hint of when to exit and construction. Since you’re coming from PA it will be a breeze. :)

New comer.

:D