Help with White Pass Railway Excursions

MERCE4

Our Celebrity Millennium cruise shows three different excursions for the White Pass Railway. I cannot determine the true differences between the three choices below. Has anyone been on one of these, or can anyone shed some light on the differences.

SKA3 - White Pass Railway & Klondike Hghway - $159 - Up via train, down via motorcoach. (Step back in time to relive the glory days of Alaska’s Gold Rush as you board a vintage rail car and retrace the original route up tothe Yukon’s White Pass Summit. The world-famous narrow gauge White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad, revered as the “ScenicRailway of the World”, promises an unforgettable ride along the eastern side of the historic White Pass as you retrace the steps ofearly gold seekers, venturing along an iron trail that was built over 100 years ago through some of the North's most rugged terrain.Venture 20 miles toward the impressive 2,865-foot summit, enjoying views of Alaska’s lush and verdant landscape along the way.Upon arrival at the summit, you’ll board a motor coach for a narrated tour back to Skagway. Soak in the marvelous scenery andlegendary landmarks as you pass by the historical areas of Brackett Wagon Road, Pitch Fork Falls, Dead Horse Gulch, and theinfamous Tormented Valley. Throughout the journey, your guide will regale you with stories of the hardships faced by thestampeders, and how they overcame their struggles against the harsh climate and topography of the region.)

SK49 - White Pass Railway & Skagway Highlights - $169 - Up via train, down via motorcoach. (Return to the rough-and-tumble years of the Klondike Gold Rush, and ride through breathtaking scenery on this panoramicexcursion. You’ll begin by boarding a vintage railcar of the famed White Pass and Yukon Route Railway, a narrow-guide railroadthat once carried gold seekers hoping to strike it rich. Settle into a comfy seat, a modern new addition, and rumble through Alaska’severgreen forests in the shadows of soaring snow-capped mountains. Marvel at the unspoiled vistas on your outbound journey thatcrosses over the Canadian border. Transfer to a motor coach for a return trip that showcases natural wonders and remnants of theGold Rush era. Stop for photos in Tormented Valley, a stark landscape of sub-arctic alpine tundra, and see the tumbling waters ofPitchfork Falls. You’ll also pass Dead Horse Gulch, where nearly 3,000 overloaded and overworked pack animals died as feveredstampeders rushed forth to stake their claims.)

SK01 - White Pass Scenic Railway - $129 - Up via train, down via ?? (Sit back and take in the vast beauty of Alaska aboard what’s arguable the most scenic railway in the world. The narrow-gaugeWhite Pass & Yukon Railway is a monumental feat of engineering built in 1898 and listed among the International Historic CivilEngineering Landmarks. You’ll board a vintage railcar that’s been retrofitted for sightseeing comfort and begin a 20-mile journeyfrom the tidewater up an incredible 2,865 feet to the summit of White Pass. Outside your window, witness the original “Trail of 98”,where brave stampeders trekked during the Klondike Gold Rush. Relish in the natural splendor of the vast wilderness as youjourney through a landscape of sky-high trestles, plummeting gorges, and expansive valleys. Marvel at the beauty of Bridal VeilFalls and a breathtaking panorama, aptly named, Inspiration Point. Step back in time and rumble into unspoiled Alaska aboard theWhite Pass & Yukon Railroad.)

SK01 sounds like WPYR's "Summit Excursion" - up to the White Pass summit and return to Skagway, all

on the train.

SKA3 sounds like WPYR's "Fraser 1-Way" - by train past the summit to Fraser Medows, bus back (it's the one

I like, Hiway 98 is on the opposite valley wall from the tracks, so you get to see the valley from both sides)

SK49 sounds like SKA3 with a $10 narrated walk through Skagway.

Check wpyr.com (the railway's site)

I think for the extra few dollars it is worth taking the bus on the way down. There should be other tours (also look at other companies) that take you further into the Yukon.

Keep looking for the BUS UP, TRAIN DOWN WITH BBQ. True it was a while ago, but 7-8 hour excursion and doesn't mention meal break doesn't sound right.

Check out " Chilkoot Tours " They are highly rated on trip adviser and will worth the money. We are doing the 7.5 hr tour with lunch and going deeper into the Yukon !

Agree....Chilkoot is what we booked last time...bus up train down...just an amazing company...book directly with their website...no reason to book anything with the cruise ship.

Thanks everyone for the information. We had looked at Chilkoot, and really liked the reviews. However, we have a big OBC with Celebrity and are trying to book at least one excursion through the ship. Appreciate the explanation of the tours.

Annette

Thanks everyone for the information. We had looked at Chilkoot, and really liked the reviews. However, we have a big OBC with Celebrity and are trying to book at least one excursion through the ship. Appreciate the explanation of the tours.

Annette

With the ship tours, you will probably be on a big bus - lots of time for people to get off and back on at the picture stops & crowded for taking your pictures.

Chilikoot uses small (~18 passenger) buses - much more pleasant.

I'd pick a different port for using the OBC. Perhaps a whale watch in Juneau?

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Keep looking for the BUS UP, TRAIN DOWN WITH BBQ. True it was a while ago, but 7-8 hour excursion and doesn't mention meal break doesn't sound right.

We booked this tour through the cruise line (HAL). It was about $20 pp more than booking through one of the other vendors. This was a couple of years ago.

We did the SK01 last week which is train up and down. You don’t get off and don’t need a passport. Just after the border the train engine will detach and change directions. Everyone switched sides so if you didn’t have a views going up, you had it going back down. Also you can stand outside for pics as long as you want between the cars except when your in the city limits of Skagway. Bathrooms and bottled water were provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Annette

We are in the same boat (no pun intended). We have a large amount of on board credit and want to use on an excursion. We also looked at Chilkoot which is $199 per person for a 7.5 hour tour. Based on what people are saying, I am now rethinking using the on board credit for Skagway and will look at other ports to use it. Also, the Celebrity trip takes the train up and bus back, and from what I have been reading, it is better to take the bus up and train back. I did call Celebrity and tried to get more details but they don't seem to have any more details than the website.

We are in the same boat (no pun intended). We have a large amount of on board credit and want to use on an excursion. We also looked at Chilkoot which is $199 per person for a 7.5 hour tour. Based on what people are saying, I am now rethinking using the on board credit for Skagway and will look at other ports to use it. Also, the Celebrity trip takes the train up and bus back, and from what I have been reading, it is better to take the bus up and train back. I did call Celebrity and tried to get more details but they don't seem to have any more details than the website.

Here's more details for the rail portion: https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/bennett-scenic-journey/

Here's more details for the rail portion: https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/bennett-scenic-journey/

Hi there:

Is this the company that Celebrity uses? Have you ever taken this excursion through the cruise line? Not sure if your attachment is the exact tour from Celebrity since the name from Celebrity is Yukon Adventure and White Pass Scenic Railway and includes the Yukon Suspension Bridge.

Hi there:

Is this the company that Celebrity uses? Have you ever taken this excursion through the cruise line? Not sure if your attachment is the exact tour from Celebrity since the name from Celebrity is Yukon Adventure and White Pass Scenic Railway and includes the Yukon Suspension Bridge.

If you're on a train in Skagway, you're on the White Pass & Yukon Rte RR.

Chilkoot and the cruiselines can use their own busses for that portion, but there's only

one railroad in town, and if ships from more than one cruise line are in port, pax from

both are on the same WP&Y train.

If you're on a train in Skagway, you're on the White Pass & Yukon Rte RR.

Chilkoot and the cruiselines can use their own busses for that portion, but there's only

one railroad in town, and if ships from more than one cruise line are in port, pax from

both are on the same WP&Y train.

Chillkoot "does" use their own bus as does any other private provider. We've done the Chillkoot bus up train down and it was just amazing. Those small private bus's can stop easily along the road up (ours certainly did) the large cruiseline booked bus's can't.

I think you should take chilkoot tour or rent car in skagway and use obc in Juneau.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The furthest I would go is...

"I would ______. But that's what floats my boat. Here's why it does. Your Mileage May Vary."

Once upon a time, my Great Grandmother ceremoniously carved off the 1st piece of turkey

breast at Thanksgiving and served it to my father's new bride. Mom very much preferred

(wait for it)

...dark meat. :rolleyes:

I believe onboard credit can be used to pay tips at the end of the cruise....

Chilkoot is not an option for Celebrity if it's a Millennium itinerary. It's in port from 7 am to 4 pm. You would have to get to train before 7:30am when it leaves.

However, Dyea Dave can make this work if you do the train up (he will take you to the platform) and he will do his excursion for the way back. I believe we are paying $89 to White Pass for the train and $79 for Dave's minibus tour. I guess the price is similar to Celebrity prices, but hopefully, more personal.

Edited by hubofhockey

Thanks to all the great feedback I got here on this thread and on my roll call board, we decided to cancel our ship excursion and book the Chilkoot 3.5 hour tour. It is not the full 7 hours to Carcross, but does offer the smaller bus (we chose bus up/train down) and Chilkoot's private car on the train. All of the Chilkoot reviews were excellent. Cost was $133 per person. We chose the 1:00 PM departure, so that gives us time in the morning to visit the town of Skagway and grab a bite of lunch before the tour. Thank you to everyone who gave feedback and recommendations!

According to the website, the trip includes:

• Skagway Scenic Overlook
  • White Pass Trail of ’98
  • Brackett Wagon Road
  • Pitchfork Falls
  • Bridal Veil Falls
  • William Moore Bridge & Overlook
  • “Welcome to Alaska” sign
  • Tormented Valley
  • Fraser, British Columbia
  • 28 mile train journey over the famous White Pass Summit

For the Chilkoot Trips it looks like you take the train back from the same spot. How much further is the bus trip part on the 7.5 hour vs the 3.5 hour trip? I know part of the time on the longer trip includes eating lunch and time spent at Caribou Crossing.

For the Chilkoot Trips it looks like you take the train back from the same spot. How much further is the bus trip part on the 7.5 hour vs the 3.5 hour trip? I know part of the time on the longer trip includes eating lunch and time spent at Caribou Crossing.

The 3½ hour tours are all train. They only go as far as White Pass Summit (nowhere near any

roads) and you come back, still on the same train.

The rail portion of all the tours is run by White Pass & Yukon Rte Railroad: http://wpyr.com

The 3½ hour tours are all train. They only go as far as White Pass Summit (nowhere near any

roads) and you come back, still on the same train.

The rail portion of all the tours is run by White Pass & Yukon Rte Railroad: http://wpyr.com

Actually the Chilkoot bus and train combo switches at Fraser and they do the whole thing in the 3 1/2 hr window. It is a clever change to train both ways. The 7 hr goes on to Carcross and includes time for lunch. Either requires a passport as you are crossing into Canada and then back to the US.

Actually the Chilkoot bus and train combo switches at Fraser and they do the whole thing in the 3 1/2 hr window. It is a clever change to train both ways. The 7 hr goes on to Carcross and includes time for lunch. Either requires a passport as you are crossing into Canada and then back to the US.

That bus must be ...flying on the way back. :o