Weekday travel advice to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

Cruise4Jesus

We have a September 05 cruise booked on the Horizon departing from the Manhattan terminal. The question I have is since this is a Wednesday departure how bad will the traffic be?

We will be coming in from the Pennsylvania area on I95N and it appears that the GPS will be taking us through the Lincoln Tunnel; how bad will this area be and is there any suggested alternate routes that might bypass the Lincoln Tunnel?

We have a September 05 cruise booked on the Horizon departing from the Manhattan terminal. The question I have is since this is a Wednesday departure how bad will the traffic be?

We will be coming in from the Pennsylvania area on I95N and it appears that the GPS will be taking us through the Lincoln Tunnel; how bad will this area be and is there any suggested alternate routes that might bypass the Lincoln Tunnel?

Where exactly are you coming from in PA and what is your target time to arrive in NY?

Traffic congestion on the three crossings into NYC (Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, and GW Bridge) is unpredicatable. You need to look at Waze or listen to 880 or 1010 am traffic reports. If you don't mind driving local streets, the Holland Tunnel route going up route 9A on West St and 12th Ave actually moves very nicely if you stay in the middle or left lane. The only way to avoid driving local streets is to take the GW Bridge and the Henry Hudson/West Side Highway directly to the cruise terminal.

thanks for the info Carol, I will be coming from the Coatesville PA are, which between Philadelphia and Lancaster, normally I would get on 276 outside of King of Prussia until it comes to I95N. My target time would probably be around 11:00.

Then you're not trying to drive in during rush hour. Just listen to the traffic reports. The Lincoln Tunnel is the most direct route from where you're coming from.

However, if you want a longer route, the GW Bridge is spectacular. Just remember - upper bridge, far right lane, first exit for Henry Hudson Parkway South - lower bridge - far left lane - first exit for HH Pkwy south.

Where exactly are you coming from in PA and what is your target time to arrive in NY?

Traffic congestion on the three crossings into NYC (Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, and GW Bridge) is unpredicatable. You need to look at Waze or listen to 880 or 1010 am traffic reports. If you don't mind driving local streets, the Holland Tunnel route going up route 9A on West St and 12th Ave actually moves very nicely if you stay in the middle or left lane. The only way to avoid driving local streets is to take the GW Bridge and the Henry Hudson/West Side Highway directly to the cruise terminal.

We've taken the GW twice and plan to do so again this summer. There were never any traffic jams though we crossed the bridge around 8:45 am on a Saturday. This summer we'll be crossing on a Friday morning and will wait 'til after rush hour is over.

We've taken the GW twice and plan to do so again this summer. There were never any traffic jams though we crossed the bridge around 8:45 am on a Saturday. This summer we'll be crossing on a Friday morning and will wait 'til after rush hour is over.

You just never know with NY traffic. Always use Google Maps or Waze. If there happens to be an incident on the GWB or surrounding you need to know.

OP, I would definitely make good use of Waze/Google Map or equivalent real-time GPS traffic integrated navigation to help check the best route before leaving that morning AND while en route, typical drive time is about 2 hours for "fastest" route, which sometimes can be the longer one, i.e. GW Bridge (via I-95/NJ Turnpike - which has a HOV-3 carpool lane, weekdays morning until 10 am ... up to the EWR Airport/Exit 14 area)

Best to avoid the Lincoln Tunnel as in the mornings & evenings, it's packed with dedicated commuter bus-only lane(s) into the 3 "tubes" - and a minor incident will easily triggered a massive gridlock for everyone. Go with either the Holland Tunnel in-bound thru Lower Manhattan, onto local streets & follow signage for the West Side Hwy to go uptown for 12th Avenue to the MCT, watch for speed to avoid traffic/radar enforcement. Or, for an easier drive - maybe an extra 10-15 minutes behind the wheels, assuming "typical" weekday traffic flow with no major incidents, take the Turnpike (eastern or western extensions past Exit 14, whichever Waze recommend, it's usually spot-on) to the GW Bridge, Lower Level approach is often our choice/preference via (Rt. 46 East is the "local" shortcut & less known to out-of-towners) I-95 North Express or Local lanes, and then south once on the NY side (see tips above) on the West Side Hwy, no traffic lights thru NYC - drive straight to Pier 88/90 for parking or drop-off.

thanks for the info Carol, I will be coming from the Coatesville PA are, which between Philadelphia and Lancaster, normally I would get on 276 outside of King of Prussia until it comes to I95N. My target time would probably be around 11:00.

C4J, I am a Coatesville High School alum so I know the travel options pretty well! Would you consider taking the train in? My boyfriend and I are sailing NCL from Manhattan in December, and we sail on a Friday so we are planning on taking Amtrak from 30th Street in Philadelphia to Penn Station, then we'll probably try for an Uber to get the rest of the way. Normally I'd be a sport and get on the nearest subway stop and walk the rest of the way, but December in New York with luggage makes that a less attractive option. I think between the traffic hassle and parking, it'll be easier for us.

You could probably even take SEPTA in from Thorndale or Downingtown to get to 30th Street, though I don't know how early in the morning that would put you!

You just never know with NY traffic. Always use Google Maps or Waze. If there happens to be an incident on the GWB or surrounding you need to know.

Yes, and just signed up yesterday for bridge and tunnel alerts (specifically for the GW bridge). Very helpful and up-to-date.