Fussy about milk!

janeo

So our last cruise was two years ago on Princess and we were dismayed to discover the only milk on board was long life or UHT. So in order to have a decent cup of tea or coffee, we carried our water bottle around with fresh milk purchased onshore. Does anyone know if Celebrity has real milk available. Probably seems like a rather minor problem but when you need a decent cuppa ....!

bottle around

So our last cruise was two years ago on Princess and we were dismayed to discover the only milk on board was long life or UHT. So in order to have a decent cup of tea or coffee, we carried our water bottle around with fresh milk purchased onshore. Does anyone know if Celebrity has real milk available. Probably seems like a rather minor problem but when you need a decent cuppa ....!

bottle around

Yes, they have those little 1/2 pint cartons of milk, but if you want a decent "cuppa," you need to drink it black. :rolleyes:

I always thought that UHT milk was real milk. Is it not?

It starts out as real milk, yes. I think some people have issues because when using such high temperatures, the milk gets a weird burnt flavor. Some research I remember suggested UHT dramatically changes the milk protein somehow. In the end I remember thinking the issue was the use of high heat had some significant change to the structure or something or other so what you are drinking is a far cry from what came out of the cow. They do this because it makes the milk shelf stable for 6-9 months.

Personally, I use almond milk or oat milk in coffee, oatmeal, etc and drink water instead.

On my last cruise last year they definitely had fresh milk. I love a decent cuppa and the small cartons from the OVC are fine. They have a date on them that is not way in advance and they were always available. The milk in the large dispensers also tasted like fresh milk. Possibly it depends on the itinerary.

It starts out as real milk, yes. I think some people have issues because when using such high temperatures, the milk gets a weird burnt flavor. Some research I remember suggested UHT dramatically changes the milk protein somehow. In the end I remember thinking the issue was the use of high heat had some significant change to the structure or something or other so what you are drinking is a far cry from what came out of the cow. They do this because it makes the milk shelf stable for 6-9 months.

Personally, I use almond milk or oat milk in coffee, oatmeal, etc and drink water instead.

I've had to switch to dairy free but I can't stand almond milk in coffee. It tastes burnt and so gross.

So far oat milk in coffee is the best but I still prefer Coffeemate.

They have fat free milk in the cartons as well.

For many years, I always found cartons of Skim/Fat Free at the OV. In January the Eclipse did not offer that option. I am hoping it was a temporary change.

bottle around

So if UHT or long life milk is NOT real, then where does it come from?

On Silhouette in January, Reflection in April and Equinox in June they did. How puzzling. Did you ask for it?

I did not complain about it.

I did ask and they told me there was skim milk in the pitcher. I have been on many cruises and they have always had the Skim milk in cartons and I am glad to hear that it is not a fleetwide change.

Thank you for the confirmation.

bottle around

Geez what problems.

I always thought that UHT milk was real milk. Is it not?

UHT milk is "real" cow's milk heated to 275*F for 1-2 seconds. This does cause a change in the milk protein, called "Maillard browning" (the effect that browns bread and gives it flavor), and which also causes the milk to bind closer to the water in the milk so it won't separate in cheese making. Older processing methods to heat and cool the milk undergoing the UHT process would cause local overheating of product, with accompanying greater Maillard browning. Newer methods have reduced the amount of local overheating, and flash cooling in a vacuum have helped to reduce the browning and its associated taste. So, UHT milk is "real" milk, just slightly cooked.

I've been drinking UHT milk for decades, as this is a staple on merchant ships which have long periods between "grocery stores". Even in the old days, it tasted better, and lasted better than frozen fresh milk. And I have noticed a marked improvement in taste over the years, so that if served cold, I don't detect any taste difference in most products these days.

I've had to switch to dairy free but I can't stand almond milk in coffee. It tastes burnt and so gross.

So far oat milk in coffee is the best but I still prefer Coffeemate.

They have Lactose Free and Soya milk available, if you are dairy intolerant and have filled in a Special Needs form.

I'm still grinning about this thread. I have never given a thought to the 'milk' that I might use in my cuppa joe. Although I will admit I normally choose the half & half of the three offerings at Cafe al Baccio. And, I learned a bit about individual preferences and needs here.

I'm still grinning about this thread. I have never given a thought to the 'milk' that I might use in my cuppa joe. Although I will admit I normally choose the half & half of the three offerings at Cafe al Baccio. And, I learned a bit about individual preferences and needs here.

Same here, just don't get it... Thank you as usual to Changkp 75 for the excellent explanation.

I have generally found that the type of milk (UHT v. fresh) will all depend on the port where they do their provisioning. Primarily any non-US/Canadian port will provision UHT milk, while provisioning done in the US/Canada will generally be fresh milk. This may vary if the ship is traveling to a country where fresh milk would be prohibited by agriculture laws.

I think UHT milk is more widely used in European ports. I've never really noticed it on board any ship.

If you like and drink "coffee," you don't need to put condiments in it, including espresso. :rolleyes: