New York cruise ship departure

ozcruizer

We are booked on a 10 day cruise from New York to Quebec in September, our first cruise since becoming 4-Star Mariners and we are very much looking forward to it. Coming from Australia, this part of the States and Canada is completely unfamiliar to us. Does anyone know where cruise ships depart from in New York? Some reasonable hotel recommendations would also be helpful. :)

Nearly all of the HAL cruises depart from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal which is located along the Hudson River on 12th Avenue near 50th St Street. There is another NYC Port located in Brooklyn at Red Hook, but this is not generally used by HAL, although it could happen depending on how many ships are in port. A third regional port is located on the other side of the Hudson near Bayonne....but this port is primarily used by RCI and Celebrity.

NYC has an excellent public transit system, many taxis and also is serviced by Uber and Lyft. No matter where you stay in Manhattan the port is not far away if using a taxi or Uber.

Hank

We sailed out of NY a few years ago and it was from the Manhattan pier. Awesome view of the Manhattan skyline. Anyway, we stayed at the Hilton Newark. It is attached to a large subway station and it was easy for us to jump on and get to Manhattan. However, that was for sightseeing. For the day of the cruise, we called for a taxi. Here's a tip--when sailing out of the Manhattan terminal, you will pass right by the Statue of Liberty. So, find a good spot on the starboard side when you depart and you will have an amazing view!

So, find a good spot on the starboard side when you depart and you will have an amazing view!
The view on the port side is pretty impressive too, so I prefer to be out by the aft pool where I can see both sides.

We thought the Fairfield Inn on West 58th St was about as "reasonable" as you can get in the vicinity of the cruise terminal: just under $300 for a Saturday night.

Edited by catl331

You didn't say how long you would be in NYC prior to your cruise. Are you looking for the cheapest option? What do you like when you travel? My wife and I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square several times when in the city to see shows. Were you to stay there, you would have a 1st rate hotel experience and you'd be close to the cruise terminal. I have also stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria and while the lobby is awesome, the room I ended up in was less than I would have expected given the name of the hotel. You'll love the cruise, we did it several years ago. Depending on the weather you could have great fall foliage (although it could be a bit early - it all depends on the rain/heat over the summer). It was pouring rain the morning we landed at Laguardia and the taxi situation getting into the city was a challenge but in the end everything was great and we loved sailing out of New York harbor past the Statue of Liberty. Enjoy your trip!

Here's a tip--when sailing out of the Manhattan terminal, you will pass right by the Statue of Liberty. So, find a good spot on the starboard side when you depart and you will have an amazing view!

The view on the port side is pretty impressive too, so I prefer to be out by the aft pool where I can see both sides.

I strongly agree that you should not plant yourself on the starboard side when embarking from Manhattan. You would miss the extraordinary sail past a huge chunk of Manhattan and the views of the NY skyline. Also, you don't get to the Statue of Liberty for about half an hour. Be someplace where you can easily walk from one side of the ship to the other. And once you pass the Statue, don't head inside yet; wait at least until the ship goes under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

The sail away from, or sail in to, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is spectacular, and the Statue of Liberty is only one part of that.

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

NYC affectionado here.

Writing this in a NYC airport, we go often.

cruise critic is not your best source, Trip advisor is better.

Spend the money for a Manhattan hotel, don’t stay elsewhere as you miss too much. First time visitors cannot go wrong with Midtown east or west. But we’ve stayed all over, sometimes depending on where our kids are. Lower Manhattan is becoming a happening. Everything is a subway, Uber or taxi away. It is a terrific walking city. Don’t pick a locale based on the cruise port, which is in Hell’s Kitchen, now called Clinton. It is not a big tourist area.

Hotel prices vary depending on season and what is going on. Weekends are generally cheaper. Lower Manhattan is often less expensive. Add 20 per cent tax to hotel rate.

Priceline express deals are excellent, the pre buy description will give you an area description,

Courtyard by Marriott is a good modest mid tier chain, prices vary. Starwood Aloft is decent.

Hilton on sixth Avenue, Avenue if the America’s, is well located for midtown east and west walking.

Enjoy

OlsSalt beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have been in a number of world class cities in South America and Europe and we love NYC, and that’s coming from a Midwesterner who lives in medium-sized highly polite and non-pushy city. BTW, ozcruiser we will be in your neck of the woods for the very first this coming November. We’ll rate Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney while there :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sad to say, NYC is the least impressive world-class city we have visited by ship. Dirty, ugly, pushy and rude. Be prepared.

Your comment reminds me of my wife's old hairdresser who after taking his first trip to Paris told us: "I didn't like Paris because everything was old and nobody spoke English!"

NYC is my birthplace and the home of our DD. We generally find New Yorkers.....well like New Yorkers which for us is something special. Like most large cities it is a city of neighborhoods which is what a short-term visitor often does not understand. I will agree that under their current Mayor the city has again become too dirty for my taste, but we still love being in the city and are there every few months.

Hank

FYI, the Waldorf-Astoria is currently closed for major renovations, is scheduled to reopen in two years.

And its a good thing. The Waldorf was a hotel living on its past reputation and was screaming for the renovations.

Hank

Nearly all of the HAL cruises depart from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal which is located along the Hudson River on 12th Avenue near 50th St Street. There is another NYC Port located in Brooklyn at Red Hook, but this is not generally used by HAL, although it could happen depending on how many ships are in port. A third regional port is located on the other side of the Hudson near Bayonne....but this port is primarily used by RCI and Celebrity.

NYC has an excellent public transit system, many taxis and also is serviced by Uber and Lyft. No matter where you stay in Manhattan the port is not far away if using a taxi or Uber.

Hank

Which terminal does Cunard and Disney use?

Which ship is leaving from NYC to Quebec?

There's a 10-Day Colors Of Canada & New England on the Zuiderdam departing September 13.

Edited to add that using the Find A Cruise facility on the website won't give you a New York departure option. You have to leave the departure location blank.

There's a 10-Day Colors Of Canada & New England on the Zuiderdam departing September 13.

Edited to add that using the Find A Cruise facility on the website won't give you a New York departure option. You have to leave the departure location blank.

Thank you.

I was wrong, New York does appear as a departure point, if you click on the "more" button that I had missed. Just another quirk in the website where a whole page of non-applicable ports is shown but you need to page down to find one that is. Another example of HAL wanting us to use two or more clicks when one would do.

Which terminal does Cunard and Disney use?

Disney sails from Manhattan QM2 (most Cunard departures) sails from Brooklyn while Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth sail from Manhattan.

Roy

Which ship is leaving from NYC to Quebec?

I have no idea about Disney, but Cunard generally uses the Red Hook facility. In fact, the Queen Mary 2 is such a long ship that she used to stick out into the channel when docked at the Manhattan terminal. This was one compelling reason why the Port Authority needed to build a facility with a longer pier which is what you have at Red Hook.

Hank

We love hotel Lucerne on the upper west side. You can often find good deals on their website. It is a short walk to the subway, natural history museum and Central Park. Lots of great restaurants within a few block area. We walk from the hotel to plays in time square.

We are in NYC twice a month and always stay at the Bryant Park Hotel.

Leaving the midtown piers, the bow should be open. Go there, plant yourself, and enjoy one of the best sail always on planet earth.