Hotels in Venice

Sammie08

We will be returning from a cruise in to Venice and plan on spending two nights there prior to heading back to America. The cruise line offers one hotel package that would include transportation but the price seems rather high, $538.04 per person. We would welcome suggestions on where to stay, would like to be close to the city center and also transportation options to the hotel once our cruise boat arrives.

Staying in Venice pre or post cruise is a whole different kettle of fish than most ports. I suggest you spend some time reading about it in the Ports of Call section.

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpic pre-cruise last fall. It was not cheap by any means but the location was ideal for us. Right next to the Piazza Roma, aka the bus station, a short walk from the people mover that takes to and from the ship for 1.5 Euro, a short walk the other way to a big vaperatto stop by the train station. Some nice, quiet reasonable restaurants, bars and gelato places right around the corner. Breakfast was very good and included, wifi was included, most rooms had elevator access and they all had AC. The staff was great, very very helpful getting us where we wanted to go. BUT, the best part, there is only one bridge to get the hotel and no need to do a water taxi to or from the airport. The hotel arranged our transfer for 60 Euro vs the 120 Euro for the water taxi.

We will be returning from a cruise in to Venice and plan on spending two nights there prior to heading back to America. The cruise line offers one hotel package that would include transportation but the price seems rather high, $538.04 per person. We would welcome suggestions on where to stay, would like to be close to the city center and also transportation options to the hotel once our cruise boat arrives.

Following our recent cruise on the Constellation, we stayed in Venice one night before flying home. We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia (www.hotel-olimpia.com). The hotel is affordable and very convenient to the city and transportation. We took the "people mover" from the port that takes you to the city. From there it was a short walk over one bridge to the hotel. It is located on a small canal and has a peaceful garden. For 1 euro they included a wonderful breakfast in the morning. The bus to the airport was right across the bridge.

Enjoy your cruise.

The only place to stay in Venice is The Bauer Palazzo one of the worlds best hotels just steps from St Marks Square on the Grand Canal. I must have read a 1,000 hotel reviews and decided to spend a few hundred more and do it right. The Bauer... Expensive yes but worth every penny, we stayed 3 nights and loved, loved it. We stayed in a superior suite and it was to die for! We booked a private water boat for just the two of us with Venicelink and we were taken by boat right to the hotel lobby the hotel has a private dock. The private boat was $69.00 euros. https://www.venicelink.com/en

We booked directly with the hotel and it was much cheaper; https://www.lhw.com/hotel/Bauer-Palazzo-Venice-Italy

Staying in Venice pre or post cruise is a whole different kettle of fish than most ports. I suggest you spend some time reading about it in the Ports of Call section.

Totally agree! If you are luggage heavy you certainly won’t be able to drag them over lots of bridges to get to your hotel. Also most hotels only have water taxi access and the taxi may not drop you directly by your hotel. Enjoy Venice, it is definitely unique!

Having stayed several times in Venice, here';s my best advice:

As a cruise passenger, there is an optimal place to stay in Venice--at a hotel on or close to the Piazzale Roma. The P. Roma is the transportation hub of Venice. It is the only part of the island accessible by car, bus or train (The Venice Train Station is right across the Grand Canal...all bus routes and road access terminate at the Piazzale). There is a Peoplemover that gives you direct access from the Piazzale to the cruise terminal for a very low fee. There is a cheap public express bus (that is even included with the purchase of a Vaporetti Pass--the Vaporetti are Venice's public bus/boat system). All of Venice can be accessed from here easily on foot or by vaporetti.

Some will tell you to stay near the Piazza San Marco--which truly is THE center...but that presents more challenges in getting there from the airport or to the ship with your luggage--either more expensive transportation or a difficult path with luggage.

If you stay at P. Roma, it will be easy to get there and back, easy to get to airport or ship...and, once your luggage is at the hotel, it's easy to get all over Venice...Lots of restaurant choices--I like to cross the canal to the RR Station, then wander up Largo di Spagna toward the Ghetto--lots of good, reasonably priced eateries up that way. You can pick up the #1 Vaparetto from P. Roma down the Grand Canal to P. San Marco--fantastic ride...to go see the catherdral, the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs et al...

Hotels near P. Roma include Olimpia, Ca Doge, Santa Chiarra...I've stayed at the Carlton, the Capri and the Papadopoli (when it used to be a Sofitel)--those three are NEAR P.Roma but require a short walk to and fro. Most convenient may be the Ca Doge--which puts you right next door to the peoplemover.

Again, note--the public express bus from the airport was EASY AND CHEAP...It had a large bay for luggage and only made a couple of quick stops between the Airport and P. Roma...

Good luck...

Following our recent cruise on the Constellation, we stayed in Venice one night before flying home. We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia (www.hotel-olimpia.com). The hotel is affordable and very convenient to the city and transportation. We took the "people mover" from the port that takes you to the city. From there it was a short walk over one bridge to the hotel. It is located on a small canal and has a peaceful garden. For 1 euro they included a wonderful breakfast in the morning. The bus to the airport was right across the bridge.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sigh... I always get that name wrong. We stayed at the Olimpia too.....

Albergo Commercio e Pellegrino, Venice

Last year we stayed here and we have booked it again for this year.

Its 3 min walk from St. Marks Square, very close to the water bus stop, great breakfast, spotless and great staff.

Its a small hotel, price was excellent and we would highly recommend.

We took the airport express bus to the water bus terminal, purchased a multi day pass and took the water bus within a 4 min walk to hotel with no steps or bridges to cross

We've stayed in Venice on many occasions both pre and post cruise.

Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal has always been good ---2 minutes walk to St Marks. The problem is that it is expensive and the restaurant (which does delicious food) is very pricey; it is one of the best eating places in Venice!

The rooms allocated to cruise companies seemed small so we soon decided to book larger ones through our TA.

Those on the Grand Canal are good ----amazing views and there's always so much going on outside!

On our last visit we chose a large suit without a canal view. Excellent.

On one visit we stayed at the Molino Stucky. Our canal view room was very small. Not good. We didn't like the restaurants there either. Still, it was an interesting experience staying a boat ride away from the tourist areas.

Yes, the speedy taxi boat is a fine option. It is just over 100 euros one way but.... wind in your hair, the throttle wide open as you bounce over the lagoon.... a James Bond moment! Wow!

Having said all that about the hotels and so on, we're visiting Venice for a long weekend in December and will be trying out a different hotel: Sina Centurion Palace. Variety is the spice of life!

Enjoy Venice!

Having stayed several times in Venice, here';s my best advice:

As a cruise passenger, there is an optimal place to stay in Venice--at a hotel on or close to the Piazzale Roma. The P. Roma is the transportation hub of Venice. It is the only part of the island accessible by car, bus or train (The Venice Train Station is right across the Grand Canal...all bus routes and road access terminate at the Piazzale). There is a Peoplemover that gives you direct access from the Piazzale to the cruise terminal for a very low fee. There is a cheap public express bus (that is even included with the purchase of a Vaporetti Pass--the Vaporetti are Venice's public bus/boat system). All of Venice can be accessed from here easily on foot or by vaporetti.

Some will tell you to stay near the Piazza San Marco--which truly is THE center...but that presents more challenges in getting there from the airport or to the ship with your luggage--either more expensive transportation or a difficult path with luggage.

If you stay at P. Roma, it will be easy to get there and back, easy to get to airport or ship...and, once your luggage is at the hotel, it's easy to get all over Venice...Lots of restaurant choices--I like to cross the canal to the RR Station, then wander up Largo di Spagna toward the Ghetto--lots of good, reasonably priced eateries up that way. You can pick up the #1 Vaparetto from P. Roma down the Grand Canal to P. San Marco--fantastic ride...to go see the catherdral, the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs et al...

Hotels near P. Roma include Olimpia, Ca Doge, Santa Chiarra...I've stayed at the Carlton, the Capri and the Papadopoli (when it used to be a Sofitel)--those three are NEAR P.Roma but require a short walk to and fro. Most convenient may be the Ca Doge--which puts you right next door to the peoplemover.

Again, note--the public express bus from the airport was EASY AND CHEAP...It had a large bay for luggage and only made a couple of quick stops between the Airport and P. Roma...

Good luck...

Great advice, this is what I tell people who ask me about a hotel in Venice. We last visited Venice in 2010 and found a very nice B&B a short walk from the main train station for less than 100 Euros per night, breakfast included.

Another suggestion for the Hotel Olympia. I stayed there just 2 weeks ago. Very convenient to the people mover and a 3 minute walk to the vaopretta stop. The hotel staff was absolutely wonderful. Very clean hotel with a nice breakfast. The rooms are small, but manageable (stayed there with my wife and daughter). No question I would stay there again. It was nice to get away from the crowds in the St. Marks area. Plus, it was manageable, via the people mover, to haul our luggage to the hotel. Only one bridge to traverse from the people mover.

We were recommended the Locando Orseolo by CC members a while back and have a 3 night stay booked. 5 minutes from St Mark's Square and does very well on TripAdvisor. 4th I think. Staff have been brilliant via email to date .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

When arriving/departing via cruise ship, I prefer to stay near P Roma - don't care to schlep luggage across bridges. The vaporetto stop & people mover are convenient if I stay in this location. I have stayed at: Santa Chiara, Ca Doge, Arlecchino & the Olimpia in the P Roma area.

Tons of info on this site: https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

There is a Marriott at Piazza Roma. It is new. Perfect location. You can get there from the airport many ways. Taxi on land and shuttles work. There is a direct airport bus 8euro/person. No need for a water taxi. Piazza Roma is at one end of the people mover. It goes to the cruise port. It is also a few feet from a vaparetto stop. If you opt to stay closer to St. marks, it will be expensive.

There is a Marriott at Piazza Roma. It is new. Perfect location. You can get there from the airport many ways. Taxi on land and shuttles work. There is a direct airport bus 8euro/person. No need for a water taxi. Piazza Roma is at one end of the people mover. It goes to the cruise port. It is also a few feet from a vaparetto stop. If you opt to stay closer to St. marks, it will be expensive.

Yes, the AC Hotel Venezia is located in P Roma & I have not yet stayed there. How was it?

We were recommended the Locando Orseolo by CC members a while back and have a 3 night stay booked. 5 minutes from St Mark's Square and does very well on TripAdvisor. 4th I think. Staff have been brilliant via email to date .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Stayed here three times and never disappointed. Great family, great location.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have twice used the Best Western Olimpia for a few days pre cruise, it's a perfect location for the people carrier to the cruise terminal, plenty of eating places close by and superb breakfast, even Prosecco. And to make it really special last time we booked a private launch from the airport which took us to the door.

We were in Venice two years ago. The cruise ship port is 110 euros to Venice. Their are many hotels in Venice that are 300 to 400 euros per night. They are 4 and 5 star hotels. My wife and i stayed at a Marriott. To go from hotel in Venice to the airport is another 110 euros.

The cruise ship port is 110 euros to Venice. ....Their are many hotels in Venice that are 300 to 400 euros per night....To go from hotel in Venice to the airport is another 110 euros.

I guess you can OVERPAY to go and stay anywhere. Yes, there are water taxis that will charge you a king’s ransom to go short distances...OR you can spend a euro and a half for the peoplemover from the cruise port to P. Roma...and you can pay a mere few euros...or absolutely nothing if you’ve bought a vaporetti pass...to take the EASY public bus from P. Roma to the airport...I guess it’s up to you how much money you want to waste...

First trip to Venice we stayed at the Olimpia and said never again. We ended up in a microscopic-sized room with a double bed, not a queen, that was pushed against the wall on one side as that was the only way it fit the room. Our friends lucked out with better rooms even though we booked the same category; I think the rooms just vary a lot. Next trip we stayed at the Ruzzini Palace and it was phenomenal. Pricier, but absolutely fabulous!