Pools on Eclipse

DENNSDMNCE

If they are fresh they will eventually turn to salt thru out the day due to the passengers perspiration and peeing. 😱

Many reports and studies recommend that you avoid all public pools and hot tubs.

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

If they are fresh they will eventually turn to salt thru out the day due to the passengers perspiration and peeing. 😱

Many reports and studies recommend that you avoid all public pools and hot tubs.

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

EWWWW....alas but it's true....every travel magazine will tell you hot tubs in hotels and on cruise ships are the biggest germ factories going. As for the pools on X....they're kind of smallish and very crowded. After our first trip we decided the balcony was well worth the money and we have a pool at home so why bother fighting for a chaise or listening to loud music or watching people playing silly games when we can sit comfortably and read in peace and quiet on our balcony. I had no idea they were filled with salt water!

Unless you TASTE the pool water, you really can't tell. It's filtered and quite clear and sparkling! Salt naturally inhibits bacterial growth, so it's a cheap and easy way to keep the pools swimmable.

I find that, just like at a beach, when you're in the hot sun after swimming, you will have "salty" skin...a rinse in the shower takes care of that. Unlike Chlorine, that seems to get "sticky" on your skin when it dries.

Unless you TASTE the pool water, you really can't tell. It's filtered and quite clear and sparkling! Salt naturally inhibits bacterial growth, so it's a cheap and easy way to keep the pools swimmable.

I find that, just like at a beach, when you're in the hot sun after swimming, you will have "salty" skin...a rinse in the shower takes care of that. Unlike Chlorine, that seems to get "sticky" on your skin when it dries.

Totally agree. I'll add that the pools are too freaking cold.

If they are fresh they will eventually turn to salt thru out the day due to the passengers perspiration and peeing.

Happy cruising.

There are also bacteria in sea water, sharks in the sea, meteors in the sky, and do not ever forget the risk of Blue Ice hitting you on the head! And don't forget about your increased risk of Norovirus on ships, the chance of a ship sinking, etc.

Hank

Totally agree. I'll add that the pools are too freaking cold.
We're on Eclipse now and this morning we took a dip in the solarium pool (fresh water today I believe) and it was at a very comfortable temperature. I don't like cold water so this was a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

There are also bacteria in sea water, sharks in the sea, meteors in the sky, and do not ever forget the risk of Blue Ice hitting you on the head! And don't forget about your increased risk of Norovirus on ships, the chance of a ship sinking, etc.

Hank

I know. I'm always amazed with some people that worry about everything. If you listen to every "warning" you wouldn't do anything, eat anything or drink anything.

I've been going into hotel hot tubs for 40 years and haven't caught anything yet but I have some good friends that wouldn't go near a hotel hot tub. Their loss

Some years ago on a cruise on an unknown ship I was amongst the ignorant few who didn't know about salt water in the pool. I stepped in and dived forward, eyes wide open without goggles. Unfortunately my eyes are very sensitive to salt water and within seconds they were burning and I couldn't keep them open. I found fresh water to flush them and after some time the burning subsided and I was fine. Lesson learned, however. Now I won't go into a ship pool without goggles or checking first.

It's odd, however, that I can swim in ocean waters and don't seem affected by the salt content. I guess extra salt is added to kill the bacteria. And in some cases the passengers... Just kidding, of course.

You will want to check the water before diving in. Trust me on this one.

Some years ago on a cruise on an unknown ship I was amongst the ignorant few who didn't know about salt water in the pool. I stepped in and dived forward, eyes wide open without goggles. Unfortunately my eyes are very sensitive to salt water and within seconds they were burning and I couldn't keep them open. I found fresh water to flush them and after some time the burning subsided and I was fine. Lesson learned, however. Now I won't go into a ship pool without goggles or checking first.

It's odd, however, that I can swim in ocean waters and don't seem affected by the salt content. I guess extra salt is added to kill the bacteria. And in some cases the passengers... Just kidding, of course.

The salt water pools on ships have some chemical additives to lower the bacteria count. Perhaps the combination of chemicals and the salt causes you issues.

You will want to check the water before diving in. Trust me on this one.

The salt water on ships generally have chemicals added or created and they are derivatives of chlorine. Perhaps the combination of chemicals combined with the salt is what causes your irritation.

Hank

P.S. I mentioned "created" because its possible to turn salt into chlorine through a relatively simple process.