Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 25

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 18 and Sunday, June 24.

Rules:

This isn't a contest.

Prizes will not be awarded.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera.

Share your fun with others.

The fun is your prize and it's a good one!

Once more into the back garden...

Ah, my own bird bath,

img

You call this a bird bath, more like a paddling pool

42254998734_8c94f07729_k.jpg

Verbena pink twister with Petunia Tumbling Anna

img

Callistemon Bottlebrush

42255016334_947d4c2461_k.jpg

a Rose for my Rose

img

Dickie

This week welcomed the official start of Summer and was pretty typical of our area with cool nights and mornings and days warming towards the oppressive heat of August through October. Sunday was no exception with mid 80°s and a brisk breeze providing a perfect environment for the extravaganza that was Matthew and Jackie's combined birthday party. Their Mom really outdid herself with the usual Pintrest-worthy cakes (volcano with dry ice smoke) and work-of-art theme cookies. The water games, pony rides, hot dogs typical and some atypical summer fare made it the best birthday yet for the two guests of honor (their words). Tons of fun had by all.

Summertime

p2938847619-5.jpg

Dave

Well I've just been getting caught up on photos from the last few weeks, so I'm a bit behind on the weekly thread. Finally got around to some wildlife shooting I did on the weekend of the 23rd, which fits in this thread - unfortunately the day was filled with heavy rainfall and lots of lightning, so I spent lots of time at the wetlands hiding back at the main building under the patio roof. I started out shooting in the rain for a bit - I don't mind getting wet and I have a rain sleeve for my camera - but once the lightning started to get too close, I had to run for shelter.

One guy who doesn't mind getting wet - getting right down to eye level with a baby alligator:

original.jpg

A yellow-crowned night heron flying right at me, in a steady rain:

original.jpg

And another night heron, this time trying to walk the rail in an even heavier rain:

original.jpg

This pigeon was busy trying to gather materials to build a nest, and had to keep flying supply runs even in the rain - and despite the guy pointing a big lens at him:

original.jpg

As the lightning was finally moving farther away, and the rains down to a light drizzle, I got a nice opportunity to shoot the lovely roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg