How much time to allow at Sydney airport for flight to US at 7:30 pm on a Thursday

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:30 AM.
London
22,589 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Senior Citizen
We looked at the schedules for all the airlines flying Sydney to Auckland and couldn’t find any direct flights from noon onward, except for the 4 pm Qantas flight. A rather strange situation.
It reflects the peaks and troughs of profitable demand during the day (think about what business travellers want to do, and when), and the way that the combination of flight duration and time zones works.

You can see this more clearly if you look at the schedules for Sydney to Wellington and Sydney to Christchurch - these are either in the morning (before 10 am) or early evening (6 pm onwards).

In some ways, the oddity is having midday and mid-afternoon flights from Sydney to Auckland at all, but that is explained by the thickness of that route, which allows additional flights to cover the slacker times of the day so as to increase the attraction of the product, plus (in LAN's case) the scheduling needs of a Santiago-Auckland-Sydney-Auckland-Santiago rotation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
UPDATED: Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_
1,215 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I just thought that the air traffic between two major cities would be more frequent. Then, after reading your explanation, I thought about the flight patterns around where I live and I guess the same question could be asked of us. I guess we are just used to our flight patterns so we don’t even think about “why?”