I work on 'independence of the seas'!

What percentage of the crew is prone to seasickness?

What measures do they take to prevent it?

I ask because I am fairly prone to motion sickness and take a Bonine before bed every night on a cruise. I wonder if there are other measures to take.

Crew members can get sea-sickness tablets for free from the medical centre on the ship.

Dramamine work so well for me. I even take it for long flights.

What is the dating scene like amongst the crew? I know relationships/hooking up with guests is prohibited, but curious about what goes on between crew members (nothing specific or graphic, lol). Is there a hierarchy - like would a bartender date a cabin steward? On the same note, is there a lot of interaction between different nationalities, or do people tend to hang out with others from their home countries? I think my favorite thing about cruising is talking to the crew, and I appreciate how hard they work while continuing to be so gracious and friendly. And I'm always amazed how they remember everyone's name! Thanks for your blog - looking forward to reading more!

I think it's quite natural for people to form relationships with people they work with.

And there lot more crew passenger meeting than we properly realize. Not if crew allowed to mingle with passengers when ashore. Ch any insight on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on the cruise line, the penalties for fraternizing with passengers varies. Most all prohibit it onboard (can't do much about it on shore), but the penalties differ. We had a Hotel Director at NCL fired for spending too much time in a passenger's cabin, even though they were long time friends. In the old days, it was a bit different, when the cruise line gave the officers a stipend to spend on buying drinks for the passengers, that led to a lot of officers marrying former passengers. With today's alcohol testing and BAC limits, those stipends went away, and the officers lost interest in mingling with the passengers. Because so many passengers complained that they "didn't see any officers anymore", the cruise lines put the hotel supervisors into officer's uniforms, since they are always seen out and about in the passenger areas.

Depending on the cruise line, the penalties for fraternizing with passengers varies. Most all prohibit it onboard (can't do much about it on shore), but the penalties differ. We had a Hotel Director at NCL fired for spending too much time in a passenger's cabin, even though they were long time friends. In the old days, it was a bit different, when the cruise line gave the officers a stipend to spend on buying drinks for the passengers, that led to a lot of officers marrying former passengers. With today's alcohol testing and BAC limits, those stipends went away, and the officers lost interest in mingling with the passengers. Because so many passengers complained that they "didn't see any officers anymore", the cruise lines put the hotel supervisors into officer's uniforms, since they are always seen out and about in the passenger areas.

Thanks Ch. I remember on Sitmar and Princess in the 70 and 80s it was lot different. We made lot of on board friends from officers and crew and still good friends and had them over to our place for dinners when ships were in dry dock in SF Bay Area.

Those days are sadly gone now pretty much

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughter (over 21)) is graduating from Nursing School next month and is interested in getting a job on an RCL ship, any suggestion(s) on how this could be accomplished would be appreciated.

My daughter (over 21)) is graduating from Nursing School next month and is interested in getting a job on an RCL ship, any suggestion(s) on how this could be accomplished would be appreciated.

I believe most of the cruise lines require about 2-3 years ER experience for ship's nurses.

Okay, I went to rclcareers.com (the place to start for employment) and this is what a nurse requires:

A good-standing RN license; ACLS and BLS certificates; minimum of three years post-graduate clinical training; minimum of one year practical experience in Advanced Cardiac Life Support; a minimum of one year experience in the Coronary Care, Emergency, or Intensive Care units; and a minimum of one year experience performing Basic Life Support are required for this role.

I wasn't on for these music charters, but they sound awesome! Please tell me more about the Metal Cruise!

Yes, only if you are married can crew members request a cabin together. Just being boyfriend and girlfriend doesn't qualify, no matter how long you have been in a relationship for.

This isn't entirely true for Royal. Last contract (which ended last month), me and my boyfriend shared a cabin and we're definitely not married, not even engaged, and neither are high enough ranked to get a single cabin. Just became a 'registered couple' and the next time a cabin became free we moved in (they actually moved someone out so we could move in together).

My friend was also dating someone from a lower rank and they could live together as long as she was ok with moving into a lower ranked room as she didn't have a single cabin either.

Another friend moved in with her boyfriend but he had his own cabin, so her roommate ended up getting a cabin to herself haha.

Now, the last cruise line I worked for you had to be married to even out in a request for a cabin together, and even then it wasn't guaranteed.

Royal are a lot more accommodating in this area.

I believe most of the cruise lines require about 2-3 years ER experience for ship's nurses.

Okay, I went to rclcareers.com (the place to start for employment) and this is what a nurse requires:

A good-standing RN license; ACLS and BLS certificates; minimum of three years post-graduate clinical training; minimum of one year practical experience in Advanced Cardiac Life Support; a minimum of one year experience in the Coronary Care, Emergency, or Intensive Care units; and a minimum of one year experience performing Basic Life Support are required for this role.

Thanks,

...Yes, only if you are married can crew members request a cabin together. Just being boyfriend and girlfriend doesn't qualify, no matter how long you have been in a relationship for.

This isn't entirely true for Royal. Last contract (which ended last month), me and my boyfriend shared a cabin and we're definitely not married, not even engaged, and neither are high enough ranked to get a single cabin. Just became a 'registered couple'....

I find the contradiction quite fascinating. :confused: :)

I find the contradiction quite fascinating. :confused: :)

I've never worked on a ship, so I don't know for sure, but from reading here it seems like the actual captain has a LOT to say in regard to how rules are applied on his/her ship.

Maybe the captains of Indy have stated NO ONE EXCEPT MARRIED COUPLES but whatever captain Garlicbread had was cool as long as you registered as a couple.

Our chief engineer has stated multiple times that some things are completely at the discretion of the captain and not corporate, but I'm sure the captain is aware what could cause an issue that they aren't interested in dealing with.

I've never worked on a ship, so I don't know for sure, but from reading here it seems like the actual captain has a LOT to say in regard to how rules are applied on his/her ship.

Maybe the captains of Indy have stated NO ONE EXCEPT MARRIED COUPLES but whatever captain Garlicbread had was cool as long as you registered as a couple.

Our chief engineer has stated multiple times that some things are completely at the discretion of the captain and not corporate, but I'm sure the captain is aware what could cause an issue that they aren't interested in dealing with.

Well if it is the just the Indy it's pretty recent, I had a roommate for 2 weeks who'd shared with her ex BF on Indy just last year. Must be a grumpy captain haha.

I know a couple of people off to the Indy in a few weeks and at least one of them and his GF will find out there then, don't think they'll be happy, probably try and go back to their current ship.

My last company it was fleet wide policy that only married couples had a chance. The captains said they wouldn't mind either way if it meant their crew were happy.

Doesn't matter to me anymore, my BF is finishing his contract and then leaving to go back to school.

Thanks for your blog . Have you found that working among so many nationalities has improved your ease of understanding of languages? And expanded your bad words vocabulary? Are you growing smile wrinkles because of your great times working with the "world" ?

Chris,

I know you're probably back home and getting on with your life which may or may not include another cruise contract but I was wondering if you might have some ideas on this topic.:D We, I, my wife, my sister have a Christmas cruise this year and we wondering what to get the room steward as a small personal Christmas gift/token, (other than money, which I know we ALL can use) something they could use on a day to day basis? Thanks for any suggestions,

Mac

My wife toured and met with the Medical Director when we where on the Allure. She is a critical care nurse who used to be in management.

The Director stated that they seldom get nurses from the US as the pay is so low. The nurses tend to come from 2nd world countries. Nurses come from the same hiring partners as the crew. There are a few perks. Nurses work 6 month contracts, they are considered officers (2 stripe) and they get their own cabin (vs. sharing). On the Allure there were 3 Drs and 7 RNs for the 8,000 passengers and crew on board.

what to get the room steward as a small personal Christmas gift/token, (other than money, which I know we ALL can use) something they could use on a day to day basis?...

Hi Mac - this has been discussed for years here and the overwhelming consensus is that cash is king. Their quarters are too small for trinkets and items they may or may not want. As well, not all crew members observe Christmas. Whatever item you offer will most likely be accepted with thanks and a smile, but it may end up in the trash can within the hour. It's just not really worth it, in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for your blog . Have you found that working among so many nationalities has improved your ease of understanding of languages? And expanded your bad words vocabulary? Are you growing smile wrinkles because of your great times working with the "world" ?

My understanding of languages has definitely not improved. Even in the crew areas, everyone speaks English majority of the time. However, learning how to coexist with people from all different cultures is an incredible experience.

No smile wrinkles, just a year long tan!

Great Q & A. Just found this very long, interesting thread (and blog).

For those that have web cams that follow ships at their home ports, you can watch early morning when the crew leave for home and the new crew members arrive. This is often one of the reason disembarkation is sometimes slowed....The same customs folks that check you out, have to do the same with the inbound an outbound crew.

I watched a youtube video of an engine crankshaft being replaced. I was very impressed at how the engine block was lifted and the new crankshaft was lowered into position. I have always wanted to see an engine room but never got the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
Great Q & A. Just found this very long, interesting thread (and blog).

For those that have web cams that follow ships at their home ports, you can watch early morning when the crew leave for home and the new crew members arrive. This is often one of the reason disembarkation is sometimes slowed....The same customs folks that check you out, have to do the same with the inbound an outbound crew.

Yes, embarkation/disembarkation process for crew does take a bit of time. It usually involves a lot of paperwork.

I always find the embarkation process quite fun - getting our new ship IDs, welcome presentation etc. It's the start of a new adventure.

Disembarkation is sometimes a little emotional. It kind of feels like the last day of school - happy to go home, but sad to leave your ship family.

What's up guys! I thought some of you out there might find this interesting!

I'm Chris from Liverpool, and I am a crew member onboard the Independence Of The Seas! I work in the Duty Free shops.

If any of you have ever wondered what being a Royal Caribbean crew member is like, give my blog post a read, and let me know if you recognise me or any of my friends.

I talk about my job, social life, travel, and overall ship life.

https://www.chriswongvlogs.com/work-on-a-cruise-ship-uk

More importantly, share this with anyone you know who wants to start working on cruise ships - or ask me any questions about Royal Caribbean ships in general. I can give you an honest opinion!

Hi Chris. We are doing the two cruises out of South Hampton in October and staying on board for the transatlantic crossing. If I purchase liquor in the duty-free shop on board on the first cruise is it delivered to my cabin the last night Or is it held so the last night of the last cruise