re meat pies

Many business go bad because of tax debt. No sympathy for them. But as suggested, you Novacastrians had better starting eating more of those tasty offerings from Darbys.

Are they good though?:rolleyes:

They're the only ones we buy, except when passing Fredo's near Kempsey. better than supermarket pies but I spose that's not surprising.

The article mentioned that their stand alone stores are doing well but those in shopping centres not so well.

They're the only ones we buy, except when passing Fredo's near Kempsey. better than supermarket pies but I spose that's not surprising.

The article mentioned that their stand alone stores are doing well but those in shopping centres not so well.

According to their website Darbys have 27 stores, perhaps gone too big too quick? Rents in the shopping centres would be killing them. Plus many families cannot afford $5 for a pie when for $5 they can get a 4 pack or 6 pack of frozen meat pies from Aldi, Woolies, Coles etc. Albeit not as nice as ye olde Darbys.

Not been to Fredos for 20 years, they were tops.

If you are travelling down the south coast of NSW, try Haydens Pies @ Ulladulla and Batehaven Bakehouse just south of Batemans Bay.

According to their website Darbys have 27 stores, perhaps gone too big too quick? Rents in the shopping centres would be killing them. Plus many families cannot afford $5 for a pie when for $5 they can get a 4 pack or 6 pack of frozen meat pies from Aldi, Woolies, Coles etc. Albeit not as nice as ye olde Darbys.

If you are travelling down the south coast of NSW, try Haydens Pies @ Ulladulla and Batehaven Bakehouse just south of Batemans Bay.

Darby’s used to do a $1 pie I think it is now $2 the special ones, chunky beef, potato, steak and kid etc I think are $3.

They have been around forever, got into trouble a few years back and started to trade their way out, but seem to have fallen into trouble again.

Don't know where you got $5 a pie. Their plain pies are $3 and others $3.50, or 4 pies for $10 when I bought some last week.

Don't know where you got $5 a pie. Their plain pies are $3 and others $3.50, or 4 pies for $10 when I bought some last week.

Very cheap pies then @ $3 each or 4 for $10. You won't get a small sausage roll down here for that.:eek::rolleyes:

A GF pie at Haydens, Ulladulla is $7.50, robbing us Coeliacs blind. A normal pie there is $4.50.:oGourmet pies, around $6.

Edited by NSWP

Darby’s used to do a $1 pie I think it is now $2 the special ones, chunky beef, potato, steak and kid etc I think are $3.

They have been around forever, got into trouble a few years back and started to trade their way out, but seem to have fallen into trouble again.

Have a look at their site http://www.darbyspies.com

Certainly value.:halo:

Have a look at their site www.darbyspies.com

Certainly value.:halo:

I’m one of their regulars Les, not my favourite pie, by a long shot, but great value, as are their cakes, now I might be out by a few bob, but Vanilla Slice $2.50, Apple turnover $3.50 lamo $2.50, $2.80 with cream, custard tart about $3. Mrs G often makes me do a run if we’ve got visitors dropping in around morning or arvo tea times

Sausage roll $1.50.

No gluten free I think.

And then they have daily deals, pie, sausage roll and coke about $7 or $8.

The biggest rip off is 40c for sauce.

I’m one of their regulars Les, not my favourite pie, by a long shot, but great value, as are their cakes, now I might be out by a few bob, but Vanilla Slice $2.50, Apple turnover $3.50 lamo $2.50, $2.80 with cream, custard tart about $3. Mrs G often makes me do a run if we’ve got visitors dropping in around morning or arvo tea times

Sausage roll $1.50.

No gluten free I think.

And then they have daily deals, pie, sausage roll and coke about $7 or $8.

The biggest rip off is 40c for sauce.

No GF pies at Darbys Gut. Do you still carry your own bottle of Aldi Tomato Sauce? - Way to go, 40 cents is 40 cents, put it in your cruise fund old son.

I will have to go now and make my 'special potato salad' and some green salad, got some family over for a bbq lunch, homemade rissoles, Aldi snags and Aldi chicken Kebabs plus plenty of vino.

By the way...Darbys have to be one of the best priced pies in Straya, maybe not the best pie as you said, but certainly would be hard to find pies at that price elsewhere. The more you eat the more you save, and the fatter you get. lol.

No GF pies at Darbys Gut. Do you still carry your own bottle of Aldi Tomato Sauce? - Way to go, 40 cents is 40 cents, put it in your cruise fund old son.

I will have to go now and make my 'special potato salad' and some green salad, got some family over for a bbq lunch, homemade rissoles, Aldi snags and Aldi chicken Kebabs plus plenty of vino.

By the way...Darbys have to be one of the best priced pies in Straya, maybe not the best pie as you said, but certainly would be hard to find pies at that price elsewhere. The more you eat the more you save, and the fatter you get. lol.

Yeah mate carry me own sauce, in fact just packed a bottle for me hospital trip, I think the food was OK last time I was in, but just to be sure.

Might have to report back on the hospital pies, even if I need to send Mrs Gut Down to the cafe to get me one.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve had way worse pies than Darby’s but better too, but the price i# hard to match.

Yeah mate carry me own sauce, in fact just packed a bottle for me hospital trip, I think the food was OK last time I was in, but just to be sure.

Might have to report back on the hospital pies, even if I need to send Mrs Gut Down to the cafe to get me one.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve had way worse pies than Darby’s but better too, but the price i# hard to match.

Thanks mate, good luck with the hospital, yes the Aldi sauce might make the hospital food taste like Princess Cruises tucker.:')

Looking at your menu, it’s a pity I’m so far away or I’d invite meself over.

Have to factor in the free sauce on the cruise, even at Aldi prices.

Such savings.

Now I hadn’t factored that in, must be streets ahead, and way more sauce than just a tiny little squeeze thing. So probably nearly a dollars worth extra there.

Now I hadn’t factored that in, must be streets ahead, and way more sauce than just a tiny little squeeze thing. So probably nearly a dollars worth extra there.

Being thrifty by supplying your own sauce and then being too generous with sauce portion is such a contradiction. You really are a puzzlement.:cool:

And even more glad it wasn't $5 a pie or worse like Heather Brae's $6.50 a pie.

Is Heather Braes on the Hume Freeway or Sesame Street as we used to call it? For $6.50 I would want complimentary sauce.:rolleyes: