Empress to Cuba

gliles

Please don't attack me. I am flying from DFW to Connecticut for my daughter's graduation with her masters, first one in the family to achieve that and I am so proud. My mother recently passed away so I am hauling some stuff of my mother's up there for my daughter and cousin who lives close (stick with me, I'll get to the question) then I'll fly to MIA and will use the extra luggage space for stuff shipped to my daughter (yo-yos, toothbrushes, feminine hygiene stuff, etc. to bring to the Cuban people then I'll again have space for cigars and rum as souvenirs (we don't smoke but what the heck?) and since this is a well orchestrated packing plan, I'd like to know really what to expect people to wear. We've been on 22 cruises and we always dress for formal nights and always dress for regular nights like we remember from our first cruises, we don't mind packing dresses and slacks (DH is meeting me in MIA, he doesn't do well with back to back trips so won't be in CT, I'll be there with my ex , my sister, other daughter and aforementioned cousin), I know there is no formal night but will people literally be in shorts in the dining room? I don't mind dressing but if I find that I packed nice outfits and everyone is in shorts, I'll feel stupid. Please don't tell me to dress however I want, I know I can but I'd like to know what others will be wearing because stupid or not, I want to fit in.

We are very much looking forward to seeing Cuba, it's been a bucket list item for some time and we know the ship is small and old, we don't care. In October we'll be in the Ovation for our anniversary and that'll be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

There are no formal nights on the Empress. I think you'll see a lot of people in Docker-type pants and Guyabera type shirts. You'll probably see women in sundresses or cocktail dresses. Plenty of shorts too

When we were on the Empress last summer to Cuba it was VERY casual. Shorts, capris causal sun dresses. I really didn't see anyone dressed the entire trip. Cotton dresses or maxi skirts for woman were about as dressy as it got. It was an easy trip to pack for!

When we were on the Empress last summer to Cuba it was VERY casual. Shorts, capris causal sun dresses. I really didn't see anyone dressed the entire trip. Cotton dresses or maxi skirts for woman were about as dressy as it got. It was an easy trip to pack for!

We'll be on the 7/2 sailing. Are shorts and t-shirts OK to wear on tours in Havana?

We did Cuba on Empress last August. People still dress up. Some people go in jeans, but usually paired with a buttoned shirt. Most people wear slacks and polos, nom-formal dresses, blouses, etc. We even went suit and tie one evening for fun and didn't feel out of place (in fact we discussed this at dinner the night before, so the whole table was suit and tie on the same night).

I may have seen some shorts in the dining room, but it was usually children or so few of them that it didn't offend me. Dress how you want.

At any other time except dinner, it's only shorts.

We did Cuba on Empress last August. People still dress up. Some people go in jeans, but usually paired with a buttoned shirt. Most people wear slacks and polos, nom-formal dresses, blouses, etc. We even went suit and tie one evening for fun and didn't feel out of place (in fact we discussed this at dinner the night before, so the whole table was suit and tie on the same night).

I may have seen some shorts in the dining room, but it was usually children or so few of them that it didn't offend me. Dress how you want.

It must be a week to week theme. I did not see any suits or ties on our trip. It was the most casually dressed group of people on any ship we have been on including a 4 night Disney. I have never worn shorts to the dining room on any cruise I have ever taken or allowed my daughter to wear them but we did on that trip and fit right in. OP, definitely wear whatever you will be comfortable in maybe take both casual and a little dressy so you can pick and choose depending on the crowd that week.

We'll be on the 7/2 sailing. Are shorts and t-shirts OK to wear on tours in Havana?

It depends. If you are doing an overnight cruise, and plan on evening entertainment, you will need long pants. If it is just a day tour, than no, you don't need long pants.

• 1 month later...
That is about all I saw on our tour as well. We were there in July also. It was too hot to wear anything besides shorts. :D

Cuba will be very hot in July. We were there in April and many people were already wearing shorts. In the evening, it can be a bit more formal.

We were there in April, had a table to ourselves. Some others dressed more formally, but we were fine with shorts or bermudas.

We sailed empress in April/May of 2017. We knew prior to leaving that there was no formal nights on empress. We dressed for dinner in slacks/polo or button up shirt (husband) and slacks and nice top/sweater for me. Day time was short/ top.

Honestly, I can’t recall what others were wearing to dinner.

We are heading back to Cuba in July , this time on Majesty. Will pack similarly to the last trip. Except-this trip has an overnight stay so we will pack something nicer for the planned nightclub visit.

M