Best time to arrive in Galveston

buffy24

We are driving to Galveston and will arrive on a Saturday, the day before our cruise, and stay at a B&B. Any guidance on the best window of time to try to arrive in Galveston? I know there is at least 1, maybe 2 ships that leave port that day. We would like to have time to look around the Strand and have some dinner. Our son has never been to Galveston or on a cruise.

Thanks for the input.

I like to start my vacation early, the earlier the better.

Are you asking what time to get in to into Galveston or what time to arrive at the cruise terminal?

If you're asking about Galveston, I would be there before your check in time for your B&B. There are plenty of things to do in Galveston, plenty of places to eat. You can take the ferry across to the other side, park your car and walk in, it's free. You can walk up down the beach on the seawall or even down on the beach, that's free. There's the strand you can check out. They have shops and restaurants all walking distance. You can visit Moody Gardens or the Pleausre Pier for a fee.

Now if you're inquiring about arrival time for port, you will need to choose a arrival time through your cruise manager. Then you arrive a few minutes before that time, to go through the process of getting on board. The other ship being in port won't affect anything to do with you and your cruise.

The port arrivals don’t hamper traffic down here in tourist areas. Harborside Drive is the exit cruisers will take for port access. You can stay on the freeway and watch the mile markers. At mile 1 the freeway ends and becomes Broadway, running almost the length of the island from that point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always get into Galveston about 4 PM... check in, drive around a little, have dinner... Do the free Bolivar ferry ride... nice ride to the other side, then turn around and come back. Your son will enjoy it

We always get into Galveston about 4 PM... check in, drive around a little, have dinner... Do the free Bolivar ferry ride... nice ride to the other side, then turn around and come back. Your son will enjoy it

Be careful on busy weekend times driving on the ferry and expecting a quick return trip. The wait for cars can sometimes exceed an hour.

Instead, stay in the right lane and park in the lot by the dispatch tower. Then walk right on the next ferry.