Sun princess - person overboard

Just saw on a cruise group I follow on Facebook that unfortunately a person has gone overboard from the Sun Princess near Singapore. Apparently it is warm and the seas are calm so they are hopeful.

Just saw on a cruise group I follow on Facebook that unfortunately a person has gone overboard from the Sun Princess near Singapore. Apparently it is warm and the seas are calm so they are hopeful.

Hope it ends well

As per usual all the lies and incorrect news comes out about someone "falling off" the ship which we all know is impossible. It looks like lessons learnt from last time and they are not elaborating. There are only 3 ways one can go off a cruise ship and it is either murder, suicide or deliberate acts of self endangerment.

As per usual all the lies and incorrect news comes out about someone "falling off" the ship which we all know is impossible. It looks like lessons learnt from last time and they are not elaborating. There are only 3 ways one can go off a cruise ship and it is either murder, suicide or deliberate acts of self endangerment.

There are at least 4 ways!

I personally like to disembark in port! :p

Cheers

Absolutely correct. However, it is sad for the person's family.

Absolutely correct. However, it is sad for the person's family.

Very sad and also not good for the cruising industry as a whole. We can only hope that it does not lead to restrictions or hoops you have to jump through to book a cruise in the future because elderly people are treating it as a way to end their life. It is becoming more common. If this was the Navy and they even suspected someone was suicidal then they would be landed from the ship immediately however with suicide there are generally no indicators prior to what the person is going through. I would hate to get to the age of 80 and need a lengthy Doctors report to book a cruise to prove I am of sound mind and not suicidal and fit to go on a cruise. I have seen what the elderly go through to get travel insurance these days and my way of thinking is that some day to counter "jumpers" cruise lines and medical experts are going to start vetting for these people before they board.

Very sad and also not good for the cruising industry as a whole. We can only hope that it does not lead to restrictions or hoops you have to jump through to book a cruise in the future because elderly people are treating it as a way to end their life. It is becoming more common. If this was the Navy and they even suspected someone was suicidal then they would be landed from the ship immediately however with suicide there are generally no indicators prior to what the person is going through. I would hate to get to the age of 80 and need a lengthy Doctors report to book a cruise to prove I am of sound mind and not suicidal and fit to go on a cruise. I have seen what the elderly go through to get travel insurance these days and my way of thinking is that some day to counter "jumpers" cruise lines and medical experts are going to start vetting for these people before they board.

I suggest there could be a problem in some of these cases in that the person may not be in the state of mind usually described as "suicidal". It sounds like the case a few weeks ago on the Sea Princess could have been described that way. The woman was fairly young but there was a comment that she was depressed. However, in the case of the man in his 80s, he may have used this as a way of voluntary euthanasia. I do not suggest that I condone this because it is a selfish action that costs the cruise line time and money in a search and also disrupts the holidays of passengers on the ship.

I wouldn't like to see restrictions on people on their 80s. I will reach this point before you do.