China “transit without visa” fiasco for Shanghai cruises

Kiwi_rua

I think yours is a complicated scenario.

My take is I think you'll need to give up the ship tour, but also need to clarify this approach with HAL.

While your itinerary qualifies you for single entry, when you board the ship they check your visas as well. To board the ship I expect you'll do exit procedures from China, to enable boarding, even though you stay overnight. As such, that would be regarded as exit from the country and you thus won't be able to re-enter with that visa, nor get a new one for the next day (as that would not comply). The other option is that China immigration only collect the 144 TWO visa and clearance procedures on day 2, but this seems unlikely as the two are normally done together, on boarding.

Why I think you still need to check with HAL is you will still be docked on the next day. Normally cruise lines require you to have a visa to enter each port you are at (e.g. so you can depart in medical emergency, or any other situation), so they may still require you to have a legitimate visa for the next day for China to board. If they are willing to accept a commitment to stay onboard, then you are fine.

However, this suggests a two-entry visa would then be required for many, which some pax would not expect, so I think it will have to be handled in some way, or accepted by HAL that some don't go ashore.

We had a similar situation with Celebrity in that we were visiting Shanghai. It was up to the documentation officer onboard the ship to approve people to stay on the itinerary as we did not have permission (visa) to exit in Shanghai. Fortunately it wasn't a multi day situation which is the extra complexity in your situation. Perhaps they will only collect on day 2, which would simplify things, hence best to check with HAL.

I think yours is a complicated scenario.

My take is I think you'll need to give up the ship tour, but also need to clarify this approach with HAL.

While your itinerary qualifies you for single entry, when you board the ship they check your visas as well. To board the ship I expect you'll do exit procedures from China, to enable boarding, even though you stay overnight. As such, that would be regarded as exit from the country and you thus won't be able to re-enter with that visa, nor get a new one for the next day (as that would not comply). The other option is that China immigration only collect the 144 TWO visa and clearance procedures on day 2, but this seems unlikely as the two are normally done together, on boarding.

Why I think you still need to check with HAL is you will still be docked on the next day. Normally cruise lines require you to have a visa to enter each port you are at (e.g. so you can depart in medical emergency, or any other situation), so they may still require you to have a legitimate visa for the next day for China to board. If they are willing to accept a commitment to stay onboard, then you are fine.

However, this suggests a two-entry visa would then be required for many, which some pax would not expect, so I think it will have to be handled in some way, or accepted by HAL that some don't go ashore.

We had a similar situation with Celebrity in that we were visiting Shanghai. It was up to the documentation officer onboard the ship to approve people to stay on the itinerary as we did not have permission (visa) to exit in Shanghai. Fortunately it wasn't a multi day situation which is the extra complexity in your situation. Perhaps they will only collect on day 2, which would simplify things, hence best to check with HAL.

Thanks! I called HAL tonight and the agent on the phone confirmed that we are exempt from the visa requirement, even with the Day 2 shore excursion in Shanghai. Just to be safe, I emailed HAL and Delta, asking for written confirmation that we will be allowed to board our flight, as well as to board the ship. I think we're in the clear, but I want to have it in writing to be certain.

• 1 month later...

We'll be traveling USA to Shanghai for 3 days (air) to Japan (cruise) back to Shanghai and immediately depart for the USA by air.

While Shanghai Immigration confirmed that we qualified for TWOV, American Airlines couldn't seem to make us any assurances. Thus, we bit the bullet and got the 10-year Chinese Visa. The cost was $140 each plus $60 each Agent's fee, so $400 total for the 2 of us. Was hoping to avoid this, but I didn't want to risk any hassles.

So everyone reads the rules carefully and are packed and ready to go. Received confirmations from everyone involved.....so than what happens?????

This story is about a bottle of water. We all know that you can't take water through security. No problem right? So you buy the extremely high priced water after security in a duty free shop. Done this dozens of times. No issues.

Shanghai China. My precious water, in my side pocket that I spent an year's salary for and followed all the rules to get is taken from me. NO WATER ON THE PLANE! is barked at me. Didn't you hear the announcement? Now I'm flying on AA, and announcements are all over the chaotic airport, in various languages. Well, I had a Chinese security person, taking water and last minute items from passengers, who already passed through security. NOT ALLOWED! The statement was, "Our country, our rules".

Look, the moral of the story is this. You just don't always know what will happen. You can't control what immigration will say or do. This is your vacation, and this is a country that has a VISA. I have my 10 year VISA, and I highly recommend that you get it. Those transit rules are randomly misunderstood.

There are many countries that do screening at the gate and prohibit liquids >100ml (including that water bottle you bought after security) from going on the plane. They don't hide this knowledge from you. It has nothing to do with visas.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think his post was really about water. I think the point that he’s trying to make is that you do not know exactly what will occur when you’re in another country and it may very well be better to play it safe, rather than to risk a problem. That is the reason I purchased a Chinese visa, even though we may have been fine without one.

There are many countries that do screening at the gate and prohibit liquids >100ml (including that water bottle you bought after security) from going on the plane. They don't hide this knowledge from you. It has nothing to do with visas.

I have been many International places, and have never had an item of food or water taken that was bought in a duty free area, including bottles of wine. But that wasn't the point, the point was that even if you think you know what is true, it can be changed, or interpreted differently at security check point. The duty free area in Shanghai was filled with expensive bottles of booze, and other normal duty free items. My water was only a few dollars, but this check point any and all liquids that was bought 50 feet before the gate. With a VISA, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Plus, a warning to everyone else that you should not buy an expensive bottle of anything in a duty free shop, because, unless you want to drink an entire bottle of wine before getting on the plane, pass it up.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think his post was really about water. I think the point that he’s trying to make is that you do not know exactly what will occur when you’re in another country and it may very well be better to play it safe, rather than to risk a problem. That is the reason I purchased a Chinese visa, even though we may have been fine without one.

Guess sometimes the use of humor, to show a point, is tough to understand. You are right, that the water was just a point that anything that you think is right, might not be right and the VISA is good for 10 years, and I'm going on my second visit. (which I won't buy water). Enjoy the trip

Duty free items are handed to you on the jet bridge generally, after screening at the gate, and the entire point of Duty Free is that you cannot consume it before you arrive at your destination. And if you're planning to transit in the US with that duty free wine? Better be prepared to stick it in your checked luggage. That's on you to know - not the person in the Shangai duty free store who sells it to you.

I've had water bottles taken away (well, emptied, as I always travel with my own aluminum bottle) in Costa Rica, China, Hong Kong, and at least one other place that's escaping me right now.

If your point is that things can change, make that point. Others have in this and many other threads. TWOV is a great option in China if your trip fits the parameters. I have had several Chinese visas myself (always business, never a 10yr) and would travel there with or without, depending on the specifics of a trip and my itinerary.

My experience with getting a China visa was quite exasperating. It was for a land trip, not a cruise, but tourist visa is the same. I'm near San Francisco (and not wanting to pay a visa agency $140 in addition to the China $140 fee) so I made the trek to the consulate. Found street parking a few blocks away, then waited 4.5 hours in the waiting room for my number to come up. I started @ 100 behind the current number. Then someone ahead of me gave up & gifted me her number that bumped me up 30 spots. Still took 4.5 hours. Sitting on the floor for 3.5 of that.

I needed:

my completed visa application form, printed only. No script writing.

new photos (not the US 2x2" but 33x48mm.) Ears have to be visible & other requirements. Not a problem for me but long hair has to be pulled up or back. My local Costco knew the rules but charged extra for "special handling" (they had to use scissors instead of their 2x2 punch)

My current passport with 2 blank pages

My previous passport

Any passport with a previous China visa.

Arriving and departure tickets (air, in my case) must arrive within 6 months

Itinerary in China (dates, cities, hotels)

Invitation letter from China sponsor on their letterhead (I am on a tour)

Proof of US residency (driver license) to show you are applying at the correct consulate

Many people ahead of me were rejected for some defect (most common were non-compliant photos or written form). Conveniently, there was a photo booth (with a 30 minute line & $10 fee). And there were the runners for the visa agencies who would pull out a few dozen application packages that took ~5 minutes each. There were two windows.

Once at the window, it took ~5 minutes. You get a receipt and sent home. Come back in 4 days to pay & collect documents. That only took a few minutes. No line.

I've had visas (back when they required them) from Brazil, India, Russia, and others. None compare to China.

I'm good for 10 years now but if I need another, I'd use an agency. Or utilize TWOV if I qualified.

My experience with getting a China visa was quite exasperating. It was for a land trip, not a cruise, but tourist visa is the same. I'm near San Francisco (and not wanting to pay a visa agency $140 in addition to the China $140 fee) so I made the trek to the consulate. Found street parking a few blocks away, then waited 4.5 hours in the waiting room for my number to come up. I started @ 100 behind the current number. Then someone ahead of me gave up & gifted me her number that bumped me up 30 spots. Still took 4.5 hours. Sitting on the floor for 3.5 of that.

I needed:

new photos (not the US 2x2" but 33x48mm.) Ears have to be visible & other requirements. Not a problem for me but long hair has to be pulled up or back. My local Costco knew the rules but charged extra for "special handling" (they had to use scissors instead of their 2x2 punch)

My previous passport

Proof of US residency (driver license) to show you are applying at the correct consulate

Many people ahead of me were rejected for some defect (most common were non-compliant photos or written form). Conveniently, there was a photo booth (with a 30 minute line & $10 fee). And there were the runners for the visa agencies who would pull out a few dozen application packages that took ~5 minutes each. There were two windows.

Once at the window, it took ~5 minutes. You get a receipt and sent home. Come back in 4 days to pay & collect documents. That only took a few minutes. No line.

I've had visas (back when they required them) from Brazil, India, Russia, and others. None compare to China.

I'm good for 10 years now but if I need another, I'd use an agency. Or utilize TWOV if I qualified.

I went to an agency in San Diego to get my Chinese visa and the cost was only $60. I spent about five minutes with him while he corrected a couple of things and shortly thereafter I visited him for another five minutes to pick up my Chinese Visa.

It was definitely worth the money to not have to hassle with it, and people should shop around because there is a lot of disparity in the pricing that these Visa agents charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I needed:

My previous passport

My experience in Toronto last year was very different. I printed the forms from the internet together with instructions which covered most of the points listed.

Phoned for an appointment.

Husband dropped me off with the papers and went to get coffee.

Receptionist checked the forms as soon as I arrived and I went straight to a desk where an official took the forms and gave me receipts.

Called husband, who hadn't been served in the coffee shop. Total time just under ten minutes.

Picked up passports four days later. Visas ran to the end of our passports, just over eight years.

Our experience getting visas for India was time consuming and annoying, but China was easy this time.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of 'experts' on CC. Most of them recommend that you spend a boat load of money and 'avoid the hassle' by paying for a 10 year visa that you will use, at most, once, sometimes for a simple 12 hour port stop. In many cases you can save a lot of money and a lot of hassle by doing a little research and reading what real experts recommend.

Travel to China can be complicated if you travel to several different places on one trip because the Chinese visa rules can be different for each place. Different doesn't necessarily mean overly complicated. There are 3 types of transit without a visa (abbreviated as TWOV): 24 hour, 72 hour, and 144 hour. These all come with separate procedures and depend which regions you are traveling in.

Read this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyjet/2018/03/01/transit-china-without-a-visa-twov/#153211c91151

and you will understand the rules a little better and perhaps save $300-$500 per couple.

There are a lot of 'experts' on CC. Most of them recommend that you spend a boat load of money and 'avoid the hassle' by paying for a 10 year visa that you will use, at most, once, sometimes for a simple 12 hour port stop. In many cases you can save a lot of money and a lot of hassle by doing a little research and reading what real experts recommend.

Travel to China can be complicated if you travel to several different places on one trip because the Chinese visa rules can be different for each place. Different doesn't necessarily mean overly complicated. There are 3 types of transit without a visa (abbreviated as TWOV): 24 hour, 72 hour, and 144 hour. These all come with separate procedures and depend which regions you are traveling in.

Read this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyjet/2018/03/01/transit-china-without-a-visa-twov/#153211c91151

and you will understand the rules a little better and perhaps save $300-$500 per couple.

Thank you for the link to the article.

I have read it and still find the issue of "regions" very confusing. One would need to be absolutely sure that their tours or travel plans do not cross through one region to another.

I have been following this issue for awhile. We travel abroad quite frequently and I am always of the mind to err on the side of caution. If that means spending $300 for peace of mind on a vacation that is costing us tens of thousands of dollars, then its worth every penny to me. I would never recommend that someone else follow suit. ("Boat load" of money is very subjective.)

Even the expert writer cautions that the rules change frequently.

I am one of those "experts" who opted to spend $200 per person to get a 10-year Chinese Visa.

I read a lot of horror stories about individuals having problems with immigration, the cruiselines and mostly the airlines. There were many instances where local airline personnel did not fully understand the rules and refused boarding to passengers.

Some noted that the airlines would eventually find in their favor and compensate them, but who wants to go through that hassle or risk missing flights and perhaps some or all of their vacation?

While I was able to get Shanghai Immigration to confirm in writing that my flights and itinerary meet their TWOV requirements, American Airlines said that was not a document that they would accept when determining whether or not to allow me on their flight. I tried to get them to confirm that I would not need a Chinese Visa in writing and they refused to do so.

In the end, I decided that it was worth spending $200 per person ($140 for the Visa plus $40 agent fee) for the 10-year Chinese Visa. Hopefully I will use it again and either way, while I hate to spend money needlessly, it was worth the cost to likely eliminate hassles related to the Chinese TWOV policies, and lack of understanding thereof.

I'm one of those "experts" that opted for a 10 year Visa. Many people get a passport for one trip only. A Visa that last 10 years is the same concept. I loved my first trip, and so am going again, and expect to go another time or two. So much to see and do in China, that many people arrive, and opt to explore other cities, which is a violation of the transit rules. I also here horror stories, and people having to fight when things go wrong. To me, going to China without the VISA, is like trying to go someplace else without a passport. It might be allowed, but if something changes, than what? Although China is a friendly place to visit, immigration people are not so friendly. Not being Chinese makes it difficult. Whether you need it or not, I felt saver having it, knowing that no matter what happens, I have that permission slip in hand.

I'm one of those "experts" that opted for a 10 year Visa. Many people get a passport for one trip only. A Visa that last 10 years is the same concept. I loved my first trip, and so am going again, and expect to go another time or two. So much to see and do in China, that many people arrive, and opt to explore other cities, which is a violation of the transit rules. I also here horror stories, and people having to fight when things go wrong. To me, going to China without the VISA, is like trying to go someplace else without a passport. It might be allowed, but if something changes, than what? Although China is a friendly place to visit, immigration people are not so friendly. Not being Chinese makes it difficult. Whether you need it or not, I felt saver having it, knowing that no matter what happens, I have that permission slip in hand.

Please keep in mind that in many countries (like Germany) you can not get a 10 year visa.

So the consideration wether to get a visa (for one single trip) or not is a completely different one.

Please keep in mind that in many countries (like Germany) you can not get a 10 year visa.

So the consideration wether to get a visa (for one single trip) or not is a completely different one.

We are UK passport holders, resident in Spain.

Just back from Madrid which is where we had to apply to for the visas.

Our options were, single entry (not sure of validity), double entry (3 months), multiple entry (6 months) or multiple entry (12 months) all carry different prices. No other options listed.

Our options were, single entry (not sure of validity), double entry (3 months), multiple entry (6 months) or multiple entry (12 months) all carry different prices. No other options listed.

Single entry is for 30 days and is the cheapest

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say this for your country, but the VISA application for the USA to China does not have a 10 option. They have a space for "other" and you need to write it in. Kind of like I don't think they really want to give it, but if you ask, they will. I don't know if that helps.

Confusing isn't it?

The independent couples travelled from their home countries to Japan en route to the Shanghai cruise to Singapore. They were prevented leaving Tokyo, Japan, by Air China. However, the travel industry agrees that from Shanghai, their next "destination" was Singapore because they did not intend to disembark at the cruise's first port of call, Okinawa, Japan. On the contrary, Chinese authorities deemed the cuise day stopover in Okinawa as "destination", even for those who didn't plan to go ashore there.

When denied boarding, one couple thought of flying to Shanghai via Seoul which would have conformed to the "three-country rule" for transit without visa. However, Air China lost their luggage and they had to wait several days in Tokyo for it to be returned.

Actually, The Chinese were correct.

The passengers would arrive into China from Japan and their destination as far as they were concerned was the first port abroad of the cruise, in Japan. No matter if they intend or not intend to stay onboard, that is of no business to the Chinese immigration, All passengers pass Japanese immigration in Okinawa.

Of all my Travels due to Work, and I go all over the World for my Work, including countries that Trump would consider “evil”, getting a Chinese visa was the most frustrating experience by far. The Chinese will NOT be lenient, the Airline will NOT give you the benefit of doubt if they are unsure you qualify for the exemptions etc... do not ruin an entire vacation and thousands of Euro because you have read that you are exempted.

Edited by Despegue

We will be getting off our ship in Hong Kong which was there 1 day & overnight then we will fly to Xian for 2 nights & to Beijing for 3 nights. We will then fly to the US. This may be very tight for the 144 hrs rule. The country prior to HK is Vietnam. What do you think ? Should I get a visa?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums