Renting a car in St Croix--Drake I would love your input! :)

a3593

We are a family of 4, and will be in St Croix on the 5th of March from 8-5. It appears that the best and least crowded beaches are on the east end. (Please correct me if this is not the case.) With that being said, we would like to visit there (probably Isaac's bay), do a little souvenir shopping, and definitely get some Cruzan rum. Is it best to rent a car for this? Are the roads in decent condition after the storm devastation?

We are a family of 4, and will be in St Croix on the 5th of March from 8-5. It appears that the best and least crowded beaches are on the east end. (Please correct me if this is not the case.) With that being said, we would like to visit there (probably Isaac's bay), do a little souvenir shopping, and definitely get some Cruzan rum. Is it best to rent a car for this? Are the roads in decent condition after the storm devastation?

As a west-ender, I believe by law I have to offer to fight you now over that comment about beaches! :D They will certainly be less crowded out east on a ship day but better? Absolutely not. The western beaches of St. Croix are the best in the world and I defy anyone to tell me different.

If you insist on going east I can see the allure of a rental car but let me caution you about a few things first: we drive on the left which can be confusing the first time you try it, we have massive potholes that will rip a wheel off if you hit it wrong, most traffic lights are not working and the faster traffic has the right of way (we absolutely DO NOT treat them as a four-way stop), and most roads are narrow and winding.

I would recommend catching a taxi bus, it will get you where you want to go safely.

From the ship, you could hit the beach at sandcastle for a few bucks and a 5-minute taxi ride, ride to Cruzan for about $20 for the whole family, souvenir shop in the gift shop at Cruzan, continue down to Christiansted for some real shopping (negotiate with the taxi driver but be prepared to pay $40 for the family from Cruzan to C'sted), then return to the beach or the ship depending on time available. I figure that's about $120 total in taxi fares; if you can find a rental for less than that and feel comfortable driving that's your call.

Also please keep in mind that there are a couple thousand off-island workers here right now helping with hurricane recovery, rental cars are a bit scarce.

• 3 weeks later...

Arrgh, now you've got me worried. I knew about the left side driving, which is bad enough. But, giant potholes and non-working traffic lights sound pretty awful. Rental cars are available for around $50 right across the pier, and we were thinking of one to go the Botanical Garden and Cruzan Rum Factory, then continue on to Christiansted. Considering that we are on 70 virtually the entire route, are we risking life and limb making this trip?

Arrgh, now you've got me worried. I knew about the left side driving, which is bad enough. But, giant potholes and non-working traffic lights sound pretty awful. Rental cars are available for around $50 right across the pier, and we were thinking of one to go the Botanical Garden and Cruzan Rum Factory, then continue on to Christiansted. Considering that we are on 70 virtually the entire route, are we risking life and limb making this trip?

You are more aware of your abilities than I am so ultimately it is your decision, I can only provide you with information to guide that choice.

Driving on the left is not inherently difficult but it is certainly a change to those of use from the states. If you're used to being on the right you may find yourself turning out of parking lots and side streets onto the wrong side of a busy road (we've all done it, it happens), before seeing oncoming traffic and snapping back to the left. Also, remember that all of your points of reference in the car will be wrong, you are driving on the left but still sitting on the left side of the car, it may be hard for you to judge exactly where the front right corner of the car is, it may be in the other lane.

The potholes are terrible, no way around that fact, although I have seen a few get patched up lately. If you drive slowly and focus on the road ahead you can avoid a lot of them, still prepare yourself to hit a few whoppers that shake the whole car and rattle your teeth, it will happen.

70 is better known as Centerline Road (or Queen Mary Highway), don't call it 70 when asking for directions as nobody will know what you mean. It is a two-lane road running east-west up the middle of the island, with driveways and side streets on both sides. Very few traffic lights work along that road although public works does seem to be trying, therefore you are expected to keep moving with the flow of traffic and only stop to let someone in if you feel generous. It is narrow in places, wider in others (they even added a center turn lane in a few places!!!) and curves through some beautiful scenery.

If you think you are up for the challenge you are more than welcome to try.

Welcome to St. Croix.

• 2 months later...

Well, we took a chance and rented a car, and I'm so glad we did. Piece of cake. The potholes were no worse than what I encounter in the States, and it did appear that many have been patched. Most traffic lights are also up and running, so that was also a pleasant surprise. Driving on the left side was much easier than I expected, helped by the fact that much of the drive to Christiansted is a straight shot on Centerline, and much of Christiansted were one way streets.

One point for anyone else considering a car rental. Despite Budget showing an office at the cruise ship pier, that office does not actually exist. They simply bring the car from their airport facility. At least for us and one other renter we saw, they are also not great on being there anywhere close to your rental time and provide zero communication on what is going on. So, we wandered around looking for the office, finally called their office when we found nothing, and were told that their rep was on her way. 30 minutes later and an hour past our reservation time, she finally showed, but made no effort to find us, and we only discovered her standing around the corner by accident. Even with the delay, there was still plenty of time to visit the Botanical Garden and spend as much time as we wanted in Christiansted.

Drake, thanks for all your advice.

Well, we took a chance and rented a car, and I'm so glad we did. Piece of cake. The potholes were no worse than what I encounter in the States, and it did appear that many have been patched. Most traffic lights are also up and running, so that was also a pleasant surprise. Driving on the left side was much easier than I expected, helped by the fact that much of the drive to Christiansted is a straight shot on Centerline, and much of Christiansted were one way streets.

One point for anyone else considering a car rental. Despite Budget showing an office at the cruise ship pier, that office does not actually exist. They simply bring the car from their airport facility. At least for us and one other renter we saw, they are also not great on being there anywhere close to your rental time and provide zero communication on what is going on. So, we wandered around looking for the office, finally called their office when we found nothing, and were told that their rep was on her way. 30 minutes later and an hour past our reservation time, she finally showed, but made no effort to find us, and we only discovered her standing around the corner by accident. Even with the delay, there was still plenty of time to visit the Botanical Garden and spend as much time as we wanted in Christiansted.

Drake, thanks for all your advice.

Are you saying Budget no longer have an office on Stand Street just outside of the Port?, as this is where I normally go and have already booked for January with them.

Are you saying Budget no longer have an office on Stand Street just outside of the Port?, as this is where I normally go and have already booked for January with them.

That is correct. They now send an agent over from the airport. They apparently have a few cars based just off Strand, but no physical office. Based on our experience, I would call at least 30 minutes prior to your reservation time and "remind" them of your reservation.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to St. Croix in many years, but it remains my favorite Caribbean island. I have spent a total of 2 weeks there and during each week we rented a car for one day. I drove, and yes it was an interesting experience, but I wouldn't have missed it as we drove all the way around and across the island and from the far east to the far west. I was at a resort each week (once just outside Christiansted and once at Carambola) so don't know what it would be like for a day in port, and I don't know how things are yet from hurricane damage. What I do know is that it is a real place once you get away from the resorts, and I would live there in a heart beat if I could.

I will add that I was in my early 60s when I was there and am now in my 70s, but I'd still drive.

Beth

• 4 weeks later...